PDA

View Full Version : Fishing group seeks reef rezoning compo

jaybee
06-12-2003, 01:45 AM
ABC News
Posted: Thur, 4 Dec 2003 1:03pm AEST
The group representing recreational anglers says it wants more fishing grounds as compensation for the rezoning of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.

Sunfish Queensland head David Bateman says he will be asking the Government to increase commercial restrictions or buy-out licences to give recreational anglers greater access or else related industries will suffer.

"Eight-hundred and forty thousand recreational fishermen in Queensland go fishing and at least half of those go fishing in the Great Barrier Reef area," he said.

"We have about 200,000 tourist fishers come into Queensland every year. Now I certainly wouldn't be spending my money coming to a place where there's so many restrictions."

Last Update: Thursday, December 4, 2003. 10:08am (AEDT)

Kerry
06-12-2003, 03:22 AM
Realize that some have been privy to the new (supposedly final) rezoning maps but anybody actually seen what the final outcome actually is, after the "consultation".

Cheers, Kerry.

Lucky_Phill
06-12-2003, 10:43 AM
not yet Kerry, but I can certainaly try to get it first hand and complete.

Phill

agnes_jack
06-12-2003, 10:50 AM
All of the final rezoning maps are now on gbrmpa website. The maps that are on there now will only change if there are hicupps getting it through parliament. Gotta say not too bad for the rec anglers down this way, coulda been a lot worse.

Agnes_jack

jaybee
06-12-2003, 11:42 AM
The howard government have already made up their minds on this, was going to post it this morning but then i thought better of it so guess i better post it, look for Fishing bans to preserve Reef
cheers
Joe