PDA

View Full Version : Fishing bans to preserve Reef

jaybee
06-12-2003, 11:43 AM
Courier Mail News
Chris Jones and Brendan O'Malley 04dec03

FISHING will be banned on one-third of the Great Barrier Reef within six months under a controversial Howard Government plan to ensure the future sustainability of the marine park.

Landmark legislation tabled by Environment Minister David Kemp in Federal Parliament yesterday would create the largest network of protected marine areas in the world, with fishing to be banned in an area half the size of Victoria.

But recreational anglers were assured they would be kept out of only a few of their favourite haunts, while commercial fishers would lose access to only about one-ninth of their fishing grounds.

Dr Kemp said the zonings were developed because of widespread concerns the Great Barrier Reef was being "loved to death".

He committed the Government to providing "fair and accurate" assistance to those whose livelihoods would be affected. "The impact of this plan we believe is very small indeed and the benefit is going to be that a $4 billion tourist industry is going to be secured for our future . . . and that there will be more fish and larger fish on the Reef," he said.

The zoning plan would boost the current 4.7 per cent of "green" zones to a total of 33.3 per cent.

Trawlers that operate in almost 80 per cent of the marine park would be banned from all except 34 per cent of the park.

Commercial fishermen using only one line would have the same access rights as recreational anglers.

The plan reserved many shoreline areas of the Whitsunday Islands for recreational or single-line fishing, along with the northwestern corner of Hinchinbrook Island, a region south of Port Douglas and much of popular Bowling Green Bay southeast of Townsville.

"Green" no-fishing zones covered many tourist reefs and islands off Cairns and a significant section of the Swains reefs off Yeppoon.

jaybee
06-12-2003, 11:44 AM
FISHING will be banned on one-third of the Great Barrier Reef within six months under a controversial Howard Government plan to ensure the future sustainability of the marine park.
why do they have us fill in all the paper work yadda yadda when they already know they are going to shaft us
a not so cheers
joe

Gazza
06-12-2003, 02:11 PM
The zoning plan would boost the current 4.7 per cent of "green" zones to a total of 33.3 per cent.
-----------------------------------------------------

well , it doesn't get 'more scientific' than EXACTLY 33.3% :o ::)

what a perfect world we live in , 33.3% Matrix ,66.67% r-e-a-l-i-t-y #;D ;D ;D :o :o :o ::) ::) ::)

BurdekinBob
06-12-2003, 11:16 PM
And still no science to back up their claims!
That little bit in the corner of Bowling Green Bay, means a 500,000 loss to our local community, just from crabs and barra alone. The pro's were already barred from about 75% of the creeks and rivers in the district, and to take tha area off them is a real killer blow to this area, particularly with cane prices the way they are through more inept government interference.
Shithead Kemp says that the 4 billion tourist industry is safe; but is the reef safe from the tourists....I think not!
As for the rec fishos here, we have lost all of our most productive spanish mackerel areas to the green, as well as a huge area of BGB, which is well used.
Well, we can all have our say next year at the election, I don't think that many of the reef pollies will keep their jobs after this, and that grubby howard will probably be gone also.

Barrymundi
07-12-2003, 12:17 AM
Hi Bob,

I wondered how long it was going to take to see you post.

I read your veiw and see heaps of passion in your response, well done.

In my opinion, not scientific, the area where you are is flogged to death by pro crabbers and pro netters and during the spawning of the grunter is flogged to death by recreational anglers and also the Spaniards cope a hidding as well. On top of this you have the non licenced netters killing everything.

The changes to your area will improve things in my area and the changes in my area will improve things in your area.

What do you think is a better plan for your area ?

Kerry
07-12-2003, 03:02 AM
And as ususal this fallacy continues that X million tourists and associated infrastructure and all the trappings of touristy development is somehow imune from having any affect on the reef.

Cheers, Kerry.

jockey
08-12-2003, 09:59 AM
Actually the tourist industry is paying a fortune in levies for not much return. They too are asking for more research into the effects of tourism, not that it would be as significant as the same number of people all trying to catch fish...

BurdekinBob
08-12-2003, 06:39 PM
The terrorist operators would be better off shutting up; we
might find out some things that they don't like that will tarnish their "clean, green image".
The bludgers really impressed me with their claims that the green zones didn't go far enough.
How many foreign tourists have you blokes drowned recently?

gif
08-12-2003, 11:32 PM
for those interested, the plan, maps, FAQ etc can all be found at

http://www.reefed.edu.au/rap/

cheers

Gary

Kerry
09-12-2003, 10:09 AM
".... They too are asking for more research into the effects of tourism...."

I reckon until they do some research and come up with some "facts" then perhaps tourists should be reduced by 30% #;D you know just in case, like if they don't really know then they should be taking precuations now! and not some years down the track after tourists and touristy devlepment has over run the place.

The tourist operators only ever surface occasionally as most of the time they see themselves safe and keep the hatch shut.

But Bob is right, if many more of these tourists keep drowning then they might just have to open their hatch.

Oh and that green, clean image ;D ever wondered how some operators control those pesky birds that crap all over their bright shiny pontoons ;)

And of course building a floating island right smack bang over the top of a reef, really is all in the interests of tourist, yeah right. Really has double standards ever been so obvious.

Cheers, Kerry.

Gazza
09-12-2003, 11:19 AM
"Actually the tourist industry is paying a fortune in levies for not much return"......jockey

Actually Jock ,on average RecFishos pay $402~$700 EACH ,dependent on state #;)

Actually Jock , Tourism/Commercials make a profit from the fishery #;) ,not a bad return for 100/66.67% access to the whole of the GBR

Actually Jock, did the tourism industry pay for the levies from their pocket? ,what are they as a percentage of $4,000,000,000.00 , or is it really #customers money ,in the first place ,and a tax deduction #;)

Suggestion: 5% levy to 'repair the reef' , if it indeed needs repairing , sounds fair and reasonable #;)