PDA

View Full Version : pro restrictions hows this sound for an idea

damons33
08-12-2003, 04:57 AM
hi fellas,
i was thinking over the weekend that if pro fishing operators where restricted to certain ports and areas for their fishing operations that they might think more conservatively themselves( not dropping the net at the first sign of a show, but wanting to confirm just what it is before killing them all). and start to protect their own livelyhoods instead of trying to beat each other to the co-op with a full boat(been a while since any trawler has done it! wonder why???).
# #remember this: we only see about 15% of our seafood eaten by our public the vast majority of it is for cat(don't say nuthin kerry!) and livestock feeds both here and over there!
# guys what i think the way to get some ground back is kinda like a labor party pre-selection ballot, double and even triple your vote/say on the matter and join every group that represents the rec fisherman and voice your opinion when ever and however you can because these guys don't really pay attention to what you say just count the responses- so as i do, i send a love letter to the minister personally as well as filling out any kind of ris form and joining groups like sunfish, ansa and agfa.
# even a email needs to be deleted and somebody will count the amount of deletes- because come election time that delete is a vote against the guy that did nothing for the people he was suppose to represent ! why would he care, he was well renumerated for everything he did both under and above the table! think mad think about the super package these louse are getting, then giv'em a kick in the guts at election time!!! your mate damo'- even i voted take it up the @r$3 last election, i got sick of this position-wonder why???

jockey
08-12-2003, 09:56 AM
Didn't the pros get kicked out of a lot more of the GBR than the rec fishos (unless they use rec methods) - pretty much what you suggested?

Lets get them out of the estuaries first. How about we pay say $20 each per year and buy them out?

damons33
08-12-2003, 12:47 PM
jockey, i am refering to estuaries basically as they are where the little guy gets most of his fun! fixing them up so the average dingy kinda fisherman can have a fair chance at a decent sized bream or whiting is where we should focus our heat! i saw a thousand dead tiny sand whiting at inskip point after a trawler went thru how is this acceptable in the name of making a living! as long as we all have shots we will bring this to an end! and will catch a few keepers for a change! don't look at yesterdays victories look at the next battle! damon

mackmauler
08-12-2003, 02:01 PM
Damon, ring netting hervey bay for example...theyd of kept it up till the last mackerel was caught. Nothing I gleaned from that group of Neanderthal pros suggested they new how to put 2 and 2 together ::)

Rob

GAFF
08-12-2003, 04:44 PM
An old fishin mate down around Bawley Point (Southern NSW) has had the benefit of about 16 months since the estuary ban near him, and he reckons the fishing is sensational!!!
But that's because it was a full ban.
Other places, they are not allowed to target certain species, but are allowed 60 tonnes of "by-catch" each. If that ain't double talk, then nothin is.
Unfortunately, the seat polishers, look at surveys by contracted individuals, who make an educated guess on the dollars spent by rec fishers, and thus their value to the economy. All environmental impact studies are done by minorities who seem to be targeting rec and pro alike.
God help my kids!!!
GAFF

damons33
09-12-2003, 05:57 AM
guys i really reckon we need to some how get a doco' together about this something really soul stirring maybe get people like peter morse as the narrator of it and get inputs from csiro and james cook uni etc etc on the state of things and the carve up of the resource and bring things like lack of social programme in local, state and commonwealth government for mainstream activities like fishing- i think of the get hooked on fishing instead of smoking, drinking,pokies and taking drugs like the governments seem to want young people to do because its good for their economies.high time the tide of moral and ethical depravity amongst pollies and private sector(i believe it is a collusion between them both!).
things like elitism in team sports and game boy or playstation2 all works to the result these feens are working toward- easy prey for money etc etc! something like estuary fish is just to easy for people to get some cheap pleasure out of and sanitize their minds so that they can fight back with a little chance of being able to protect themselves from this consumerism! thanks fellas for listening to this! damon

jockey
09-12-2003, 08:47 AM
I was fishing up North of Mossman recently (mouth of Noah ck or the next one up I think). There appeared to have been a fish kill. There were heaps of 5cm fish all the same species washed up - about 10 per meter over a long stretch of beach. A local told me it was discarded bycatch from a pro who had been netting a lot closer than he was allowed. I was under the impression that they had big enough holes in their nets to let the little fish through.

I emailed the dpi about it and was told I had to go to the epa first. He couldn't forward my email because they only had a phone number. I gave up coz I was trying to do them a favour and I wasn't going to get the run-around for it.

Kerry
09-12-2003, 10:18 AM
.... (don't say nuthin kerry!) ....

Never say anything on Mondays, nuthin on all other days.

You know there's somethin missing in all this :-/

Cheers, Kerry.

Doyley
11-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Hi
I enjoyed the input re our Pro fishing Brothers and agree that the Government needs to be worked on . For our kids and the general public of today and tomorrow to be able to catch a fish with-out having to go on a charter. the simple answer is " no Professional fishing effort inside 4 klm's of the Australian coast line. Equally disturbing to the current situation is the knowledge that this topic has been "on the table" for the past 50 years.
Cheers
Doyley