PDA

View Full Version : question???

baztvl
05-12-2003, 12:47 PM
???

G'day to all,

Am new to this bloody machine so hope all goes well for my first ever chat ( be gentle with me !!!!!! )

Have a Alvey 650 and wish to put it on a boat rod for this weekends fishing trip. Have heared that Alvey have released a boat rod series and that they are OK. Any comments or sugesstions really appreciated,

thanks

fish for all for tea

Bazz

Lucky_Phill
05-12-2003, 01:46 PM
Well Bazz, it is an age old question, but can be answered in many ways.

The first thing we must ask ourselves is, " what is a boat rod ? ".

Here's a clue....... when fishing in 25ft of water or 2ft in Moreton Bay, a boat rod is a 11 - 14ft surfrod.

when offshore and overhead attached, something around the 7ft mark works for me, but then again, in the same area, I'm chucking slugs at Macks, and a boat rod is a 10ft Ugly stick.

Now, consider the line class you have fitted, area you want to use it in ( depth and fish sort ), length you feel comfortable handling and more.

The ' boat rod ' idea is a sort of myth, it really depends on what you are happy with.

Others here, will of course, have other ideas, but hey, that's why you asked in the first place. ;) ;D

Welcome....... Cheers Phill

Nugget
08-12-2003, 04:08 AM
Hi Bazz and welcome.
I haven't seen or heard anything about a new Alvey range so can't comment.

Tell us where you fish and what species you target and I'm sure a few here would be able to offer some advice.

Dave ><>

baztvl
12-12-2003, 12:23 PM
:) :) :) [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Thanx guys,
Have moved to townsville recently and have not as yet gotten out to wet a line. Am very much looking forward to the fishing "up north" but have no idea what to expect.
Having fished for flatties with a handline till now I am finding it a difficult transition to the variety of styles on offer to us up here.
I bit the bullet and ended up with a 6' Gary Howard custom built rod for the 650 and am keenly awaiting the weather to abate to try it out. Thanx go to lucky_phil for your advice as the rod was chosen on the basis of " what you are comfortable handling"
I still wlecome any advice though as I am still very much the biginner in these waters, and open to any necessary changes ( pls give me an excuse to buy more gear, the wife dosent seem to understand!!!!!)
The line is 20lb mono and the rig is also open to suggestions!!

Thanx to all in anticipation

Bazz

ps: Any advice on how to use this site also greatly appreciated,

Bazz :) :) :) :)