PDA

View Full Version : a safety kit for the boat...what to keep on board?

michael_Brewer
12-12-2003, 04:25 PM
Hi all.
I am trying to think of a few things to keep in the boat incase of accidents. has anyone got any ideas. I'm after items to treat cuts, Bites, stings from stonefish, jelly fish, oyster cuts, Sharks :-[ :-[ :-[ anythin that is likely to prevent infections. I think it was touchy that was spiked by the flatty a little while back. so anything that might come in handy. I have been told that vinegar is good for jellyfish stings.
any suggestions???
THANKS Michael Brewer

webby
12-12-2003, 04:41 PM
A bottle of Bundy, No make that two, kills everything and fixes everything.
Cures all fears and points you in the right direction when coming home in a 25kt s/easterly.
Just a good first aid kit, should get youout of trouble.
regards

imported_admin
12-12-2003, 04:52 PM
Tea Tree Oil
Good First Aid Kit
Instant Heat pack
Ice
Vinegar

Graham_N_Roberts
12-12-2003, 05:43 PM
Please don't use vinegar on common jelly stings ... use water. Vinegar should only be used on the box jelly .... and you'll need several litres of it. After the tenticles have fallen free of the victim and stingers nutralised, apply a pressure imobilisation bandage, and be prepared to administer EAR/CPR. In short .... do a First Aid course. :) ;)

michael_Brewer
12-12-2003, 07:19 PM
hey steve? what is the tea tree oil used for?
cheers mick

webby... bundy- the solution to everything? ? ? bloody oath!!!

imported_admin
13-12-2003, 03:59 AM
Tea Tree oil (Melaleuca Alternafolia) can be used for a lot of things, it s a first aid kit in a bottle. It is in my opinion the best antiseptic you can get. You can use it on cuts, fish spikes, etc.

As CQ Freshie says, do a First Aid Course. There is no use having all the gear in your boat if you do not know what to do with it. It is also handy to have the knowledge incase you need it around home, work, etc, not just when you are out fishing.

You can do a First Aid course with QLD Ambulance, Red Cross and St Johns. Cost about $120.00.

dazza
13-12-2003, 05:18 AM
Michael,
one of the best things to clean wounds with is good old warm soapy water, this will get rid of most bugs.
strong antiseptics mostly cause more harm than good.
a simple saline solution (not seawater) is just as effective as anything as well.
in the healthcare setting saline is used to clean wounds prior to dressing, rarely are antiseptics used.
a simple rule of thumb:
any sea creature that causes a penetrating injury (fish spine, stonefish etc) immerse affected area in hot water (careful not to burn)
anything that stings- apply ice/cold water after removing tenticles.
as for first aid kit:
bandaids, few bandages of different sizes, sling, headache tablets (panadol, asprin ) non adherant dressings, absorbent pads, needle for removing splinters etc. do a first aid course.
you don't have to have a mobile hospital, just a few of the important things.
hope this helps
dazza

Gazza
13-12-2003, 07:24 AM
That's reassuring Dazza :D , please include torniquet ,for when I'm getting your $1.00 hook out of a guthooked shark!! ;D

neptune
13-12-2003, 07:37 AM
I also include sutures in my kit. I have had to use them twice, once on myself and once on a mate.

blaze
13-12-2003, 03:58 PM
Hi all
I carry a basic 1st aid kit and include butterfly strips instead of sewing my self up. used them to hold the eyebrow together once (hit in the face with a bloody great sinker by my fishin mate)
cheers
blaze
Ps first aid course a must

CHRIS_aka_GWH
14-12-2003, 10:59 AM
my kit

small bottle of metho (still the best thing for general small marine cuts)

1 litre bottle of buffered saline solution (that's the stuff gazza's refering too) -available from chemists for a couple of bucks. It comes in a squirt bottle ideal for clearing wounds & eyes - usually used for contacts .

Betadine - individual 10ml breakoff sachets (like used hospital) so you don't cross contaminant a bottle of the stuff

butterfly strips & waterproof bandaids

compression bandage, 2 X gauze bandage couple of thick dressings & cotton wool & buds

clean scissors, tweezers

panadol & adreneline (my wife's got a hypo allergy to bee sting)

all kept in sealed snap lock bags then inside a kitabout the size of half a shoe box

chris

mackmauler
14-12-2003, 12:59 PM
some great ideas fellas, would anyone like to volunteer to be a patient so i can try the kit out :D will be gentle with the rusty bait knife *promise* :P

imported_admin
14-12-2003, 02:29 PM
Have a look at the Marine First Aid kit available from the Red Cross

http://www.redcross.org.au/ourservices_acrossaustralia_firstaid_kits.htm

Marine First Aid Kit

2 Gloves, latex (pairs)
4 Saline, ampoule, 15ml
2 Gauze swabs 7.5 x 7.5cm
10 Butterfly closures
20 Adhesive dressings, assorted shapes
25 Adhesive dressing strips
2 Adhesive island dressing 8.5 x 6
1 Wound dressing No 13 (small)
1 Wound dressing No 14 (med)
1 Wound dressing No 15 (lge)
1 Non-adhesive dressing 5 x 5 cm
1 Non-adhesive dressing 10 x 10cm
1 Burnaid dressing 10 x 10cm
1 Bandage, conforming Gauze 5cm
1 Bandage, conforming Gauze 7.5cm
1 Bandage conforming Gauze 10cm
2 Crepe bandage, 10cm
1 Scissors blunt/sharp S'steel
2 Triangular bandages 110cm
1 Adhesive tape, waterproof 2.5 x 5mtr
12 Safety pins
1 Foil emergency blanket
1 Universal shears
1 Splinter probe
1 Splinter forceps S'steel
5 Antiseptic swabs
24 Paracetamol tablets
1 Antiseptic spray 50ml
1 Insect repellent 50ml
1 Burnaid gel 25g
1 Sunscreen 30+
4 Latex finger cots
1 Notebook
1 Pencil
3 Plastic bags (assorted sizes)
1 First Aid Notes

Info on their courses can be found here
http://www.redcross.org.au/ourservices_acrossaustralia_firstaid_courses.htm

Graham_N_Roberts
14-12-2003, 05:48 PM
Guys, keep an eye on the expiry dates on your solutions .... in particular that adrenaline Chris. Oh ... do not under any circumstances administer any drug/medication to any person for which that drug has not been issued by a doctor. You would be surprised at the number of people who are alergic to aspirin. Do you know how to treat a reaction to a drug?

imported_admin
14-12-2003, 07:11 PM
Good point about the Asprin, I am one of those people that are alergic to it.

You should never give anyone, or recomend to any one, any drug, not even Asprin or Panadol.
If you do a First Aid Course you would already be made aware of that.

PinHead
15-12-2003, 05:09 AM
As well as most of the items mentioned previously...I carry a set of ear plugs...get sick of listening to the missus...bait my hook...wind in for me blah..blah..blah...you don't think it is first aid? Those plugs avoid me having to stand trial for murder.

Kerry
15-12-2003, 11:13 AM
Probably more important than having a first aid kit is actually knowing how/when/where and why to do what.

On a boat one probably should look past the, bandaids and aspro's and think more towards the possibility of real trauma and the worst case scenario's and the relatively to people who can fix the problem the best.

Cheers, Kerry.

bunyip
16-12-2003, 04:04 AM
one thing that is wise to carry is a thermos of hot water,if stung by a venomous fish(happy moment for instance)pour the hot water(as hot as you can handle without burning yourself)over the sting to break down the venom and releive the pain.other than that a basic first aid kit and the knowledge of how to use it.

spike2
16-12-2003, 12:38 PM
the boat must have a pair of wire cutters its easier to push the barb through on a hook and cut it off than try to remove the hook with the barb on beleive me l know ouch