PDA

View Full Version : Dredging the Coomera

gif
16-12-2003, 01:24 PM
I just read this press release:

Premier & Trade, # Peter Beattie

14/12/03

Qld Govt will dredge Coomera River

The Queensland Government will spend $2 million on dredging the Coomera River and the North Channel of the Broadwater, Premier Peter Beattie announced today (Sunday).

"We recognise the importance of the Gold Coast Marine Precinct in terms of its massive investment and the contribution to job creation," said Mr Beattie.

"So it makes sense to make money available from the Smart State Building Fund to ensure this Smart State industry can thrive.

"Albert MP Margaret Keech and Southport MP Peter Lawlor have been very active in arranging meetings and acting on behalf of the industry and local boat owners and I thank them for their help.

"My Government has played an active role in supporting the precinct since it was established in 2000.

"The precinct has helped make Queensland the leading state in Australia for building recreational boats, with the State now producing two out of every three recreational boats being exported by Australia.

"The precinct employs more than 2,000 people and we are looking forward to the number of jobs increasing as demand for these quality products grows.

"Growth has already resulted in four new giant sheds for the building of large recreational boats being added to the precinct's capabilities recently, as well as the production of the precinct's first superyacht by Azurra Yachts."

"This dredging will ensure navigable access to the precinct and provide support for the development of the Gold Coast's superyacht industry. #

"It will also deliver big safety benefits for local boaties with small vessels when navigating both the North Channel and the Coomera River.

"We will continue to work with the Gold Coast City Council to produce a long term dredging strategy that will identify how often the river requires dredging and possible options for spoil disposal."

Lucky_Phill
16-12-2003, 01:27 PM
Suppose it's about time tooo.

Phill

landy1
16-12-2003, 02:39 PM
;D
Does this mean that we wont pass dozens of beached houseboats now.
cheers
Mick

aquarius
16-12-2003, 05:25 PM
Hey Lucky Phill thats good news.......you won,t have to worry about the sand banks anymore..LOL
Cheers Brent