PDA

View Full Version : coral trout

krazyfisher
15-12-2003, 06:14 PM
HELP with the new limits on coral trout I thought I would have a look at the differant trout but every site calls them by differant name I am after a pic of a footballer trout(blue spot), islander trout(common trout) and leopard trout. the problem is people call blue spot both footballer and common and some call footballer leopard please help.
thanks

gif
16-12-2003, 01:59 AM
The use of common names is a problem.

I heard a gardening expert on the weekend talk about the same problem in the gardening world with the one plant having 4 names #- and in another case, three plants sharing the same common name. #

With increasing regulations we are going to have to get our act together #- or get fined and maybe destroy, accidentally, endangered species.

In the post on bag limits I posted the complete list of Coral Reef Fish with their common and Latin names. #There is a lot to learn.

I am going to suggest that we get our act together by trying to learn the Latin names. # Maybe we cant pronounce them #- so what? # #Maybe we will end up with a nickname based on the Latin name. # Like maybe a Pagrus Auratus #becomes a "pag-at" #at times.

How to start? #just add the Latin names when making a post #

Maybe the moderators can help - by editing in the names when we don't know.

In the end it will seem easy. # A year ago I got confused between a 2 and a 2/0 # #a number 4 # and a 4lb or a 4 kg rod. # # Don't tell me fishing isn’t confusing to learn!

What do you think about using and slowly learning Latin names?

Gary

krazyfisher
16-12-2003, 02:13 AM
gary
great idea dont know if I can do it but breat idea ;D. I did work out what I wanted to know by using the scienctific names

Gazza
16-12-2003, 02:53 AM
Gaz , ;D , i got one......

oil slick = trichodesmium algae ;)

and would be as funny as 'hell' for the great-unwashed ,trying to buy fish from a fishshop ,even if it isn't what the fishshop ,bought in the 1st. place :P

Gaz , ponder this ,and there is no 'easy' right/wrong answer ,the more complicated the "rules" become ,the less likely "good people" will follow them, because they can't ,not because they're "bad".

e.g. get 100 experts one at a time,with only a 100 different fish "pictures" ,and get them to identify them, passmark a 100% or they get a "fine", time limit 100 minutes :o

agnes_jack
16-12-2003, 03:36 AM
Gazza
Oil slick=Trichodesmium algae
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tony

Gorilla_in_Manila
16-12-2003, 03:58 AM
Hey, come on guys. Leave the oil slick / algae stuff under the algae post so I know where it is and can avoid reading anymore on it. ;D ;D ;D

ferralflyer
16-12-2003, 06:52 PM
To ferral the footballer trout is a manly a lagoon which the last i saw had black and yellow tripes on mottely off white coffe colour not blue spots,now a blue spot trout also caught in close to reef and in the lagoons are black with blue spots which can grow very big indeed.

lepards have spots so do trout(green,brown,stawberries)all 3 caught close but strawberry trout hang in deeper water as thay get bigger .

Just reading the list i had the some question on the footballer,bulespot thing,the sad thing is all the money wasted to create so much confusion and just to let everyone now that in the late 1980s there was only suppost to be 250000 trout on the GBR and as was descused then ,at what time of year was this thing done ,if it was done when the stawberry trout were in deep water at the time of this monimentle educated guess it would have been incorrect and if it was done when the stawberry trout come close the sholes around the reef to breed it still would have been a guess ??? just like the fish list names, well thats how ferral see it,I hope this helps or confuses more or less,Cheers ;)

Lucky_Phill
18-12-2003, 12:55 PM
More confusion reigns.

Grass sweetlip.

In the fine print of the new regs it says " All Sweetlip " are now regulated in the CRFF regs.

Grassies are Not. Now in the DPI website ( fishweb ) the latin for Grass Sweetlip is #Lethrinus #laticaudis, but the DPI also refer you to their booklet, Fish Guide " Saltwater , Freshwater & Noxious species " for further reading and info. # SO, I Look up Grass sweetlip and find it. #But bugger me ! #Lethrinus fletus.

AND to add to confusion, it's ' common' name for marketing ( retail sale ) is Emporer.

Confused ? #shouldn't be, #apparently all us rec fishoes are Rocket Scientists !

Phill # # # ;)

Daintreeboy
18-12-2003, 03:29 PM
A footballer is the brown and yellow one and is NOT a Blue spot trout. The blue spot looks like the common trout but the spots are bigger. The Island Trout is also called the Bar cheeked trout as the large spots elongate to bars on this area of the fish. Is this a bit clearer?
Shouldn't matter anyway re bag limits as is all species now.

krazyfisher
18-12-2003, 03:37 PM
it does matter as the footballer(blue spot) as the dpi call it is 50-80cm and as for common names none of them mean jack I have 4 books and they all call the blue spot a differant trout but thanks anyway I now have it worked out