PDA

View Full Version : Currumbin claims first victim of Summer!

Heath
21-12-2003, 01:59 PM
Was fishing out off Tweed after spending the morning at Palmy & heard the banter on the radio with a vessel with motor troubles. A VMR was sent to assist. I heard the boat pick up the broken down boat & ask weather or not Currumbin or Twed was a better option for a tow in. It was decided that Currumbin was the choice as the vessel had launched from Currumbin. About 15 mins later it was all hands on deck, as one of the boats capsized while going over the bar. I think it was the VMR boat!

It won't be the last this summer I reckon >:(

Hagar
22-12-2003, 04:07 AM
I agree Heath. That outer break really dumps hard now . It's a longer run across the shallow section than I can remember for a long time . Have not heard which boat it was - either way it is a huge cleanup job if you sink one in saltwater.

Hagar

Mudcrab
22-12-2003, 07:41 AM
We have this weird rule at our VMR Unit that we take the Boaties in distress to where WE THINK IS SAFEST! NOT as in NOT to where might be more convenient for him in terms of launching point, trailer & vehicle!

Kerry
22-12-2003, 07:46 AM
I believe every boatie has to apply the same rules even right down to deciding actually if assistance will be provided.

At the end of the day the boat in distress really has absolutely no say in the matter what so ever.

Cheers, Kerry.

deb
22-12-2003, 08:40 AM
Stick to that rule VP!!!

nictim
23-12-2003, 05:55 AM
It was very deceiving on Saturday we got strait out during a lull looked back and saw someone take on 3 in a row he took on a lot of water . I like to have a little rest out past the shark hooks to let the heart rate to drop
Cheers Steve -----

Heath
24-12-2003, 02:02 AM
Nictim,

What boat are you in?

nictim
24-12-2003, 07:49 AM
Hi Heath
We have an orange Haines Hunter V17L new white bimini we also have a twin out there ours is the one with a new
85 Yamaha , usually me and my two boys
cheers Steve ---