PDA

View Full Version : import or not???

nofrills
21-11-2003, 06:16 PM
gday all
im in the process of purchasing a cannon digi-troll IV downrigger.The best price i have locally is $4020,including the optional transducer.Big bucks i know and as im not made of money im trying to get the price down,as you do ::).
Ive checked the prices US and cabela's have them for $1200 US.On top of this i have to allow for exchange rates,freight fees which they say is 20% of total cost.and im sure there is some aus govt import tax i cant remember what thats called ::).Im also concerned about putting my credit card details on the net.
Im not to worried about warranty claims as i figure if i buy it locally and the thing breaks they will probably put it in a box and send it back to the states anyway.so im lookin at the difference of maybee havin to pay to send it back for repairs.
Im wondering if there are any importing guru's on here who can steer me in the right direction.
any suggestions would be great.
scott ;D

Zeeke
21-11-2003, 07:26 PM
G'day nofrills, vertico and I have done a bit of ordering with cabelas and ive even ordered a remote control system for my electric motor from there... the fee's ur going to run into are GST and Import tax.. also your gonna get really badly stung by Shipping, Cabelas charge 40% Shipping, so it doesnt matter what you buy, they'll charge 40% of your purchase price for shipping.. so you spend $100US they'll charge you $40US shipping

You are probably better off buying here..

Tim

imported_admin
21-11-2003, 09:07 PM
Scott

Zeeke is right Cabellas will charge you US$480.00 (Approx AUD$663.00) to ship the downrigger.

US Post postage calculator http://www.usps.com says that it will cost US$120.00 (Approx AUD$165.00) via Global Express Mail (EMS) 3 - 5 days shipping time for a 25lbs parcel. This could vary though as parcel weights are worked on volumetric weight or actual weight, whichever is the greatest.

If you can find another supplier that will not hit you so hard for the shipping then you would be up for Approx AUD$2200 using the US$120.00 shipping costs, duties/GST etc. This is just a guide you are best to check with Australian Customs http://www.customs.gov.au to find out exactly what charges would apply.

I personaly wouldn't be concerned about using a credit card on the net , I have been doing it for years and never had a problem. Just make sure you are dealing with an established company and you use a secure site when you enter your credit card details.

fnq_tinnie
22-11-2003, 04:10 AM
hi scott if wish to import try a company name dhl globle imports as they have import lic

you must give exact brand,modle item they will tell you the total amount in au$ and us$ i us them a lot in my business to import one off 's all the time

i hope this help you
scott

planetjase
22-11-2003, 07:41 AM
hey scott have you had a look at http://fishingtackle-online2.com/plano-fishing-tackle/ they also have an international phone number for there customers i also an a little worried about credit card numbers on the net as i'm new to it all aswell atleast see if the place you use has a number to call it might make it easier to give a number . some reports i have heard about this place have been good . hope you find what your looking for there as they where the cheapest anywhere for what i wanted

good luck

jase

nofrills
22-11-2003, 12:44 PM
thanks heaps guys
would be very easy to get ripped off with that shipping fee.looks like ive got lots of phone calls to make.
Jase i found it on your suggestion at bass pro also at the same price so that might be another lead.
gif sent me a pm mentioned insurance,another cost.
im going to check out the import company thing as suggested and see what happens.
thanks again
scott ;D

clutter
22-11-2003, 02:33 PM
Sent you a pm. Let me know how you go.

Clutter.

Sniper
22-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Have a look at www.eangler.com not sure as to their shipping rates ut there prices seem to be ok. The way the aussie dollars going it may not be a bad idea. Just have to watch for that import duty. Let us know how you go
Cheers
Bill
[smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif]

nofrills
26-12-2003, 05:11 AM
well santa arrived early for me yesterday in the form of a DHL delivery van.got the digi troll from WEST MARINE.Thanks clutter for recomending them they were great.I ordered the thing over the phone,toll free number ;D.It only took 8 days from when the order was placed,it takes the missus longer to get me to mow the lawn ::)
as i said before the best price i found here was $4040 with the transducer.from west marine total price inc all charges was $1900 ....BARGAIN ;D Thats aust.

thanks everyone for their help,hopefully ill be back on the water soon to give it a run.
cheers scott.

imported_admin
26-12-2003, 05:15 AM
Scott

Would you be able to give a breakdown of the total.

How much of that was item cost, import duties, freight, etc?

nofrills
26-12-2003, 05:16 AM
OOOOO look now i got more buttons to play with.might have to change name to some frills.should point out i still have an $1100 car so all is not lost.

Heath
26-12-2003, 05:37 AM
You saved yourself a heap of $$$$

WELL DONE!

I've been buying from the USA for a few years now. The money you save is rediculous really when you think about it.

nofrills
26-12-2003, 05:52 AM
steve ive pm d you.

yae heath i cant believe it ;)

thought id tell yas what this thing can do for anyone that has'nt seen em.

its basically an electric downrigger ,no winding,which is great if you fish buy youself alot cause you can concentrate on playing the fish and the downrigger will wind itself out of the way.it has memory and will run at preset depths.it can also jig your bait or act like a strobe when trolling so you can fish all the water column untll you find the depth the fish are working at.it also tracks the bottom so you can run your lure/bait at a preset distance from the bottom and as you troll over drop offs or pinaccles it will automatically stay at that preset distance. HOW COOL 8)
if i get me an auto pilot and one of them electric fishin reels i can just send the boat out for the day and wait for it to come in with me dinner ::)
cheers scott

predator
26-12-2003, 05:56 AM
hi scott
I got two electric d/riggers (mini mag 2) factory sealed, off ebay (USA) a few weeks back :D. They were here within 5 days by post and cost $65 each in freight, no taxes or imports (I'm more than happy) ;D ;D. GREAT ITEMS and cant wait to test the one I have on the boat. Price would have been alot more in AUST than what I paid..... ;)
The whole exercise was well worth it...

just gotta get a weight....
cheers
wayne

ps any offers for the other 1 ::)

dazza
29-12-2003, 02:45 AM
nofrills,
well seeing as though your boat is in dry dock for awhile, if you need somone to try it out ;D ;D
boof is down next week, so we could see how strong it is ;D ;D
pity the 680 has shit itself, the spaniards are around now as well, :'( :'(
are you off or working? i start nights on 31st few days off after that.
cya
cheers
dazza