PDA

View Full Version : Catfish in bris river

anu
23-12-2003, 05:34 PM
one friend cuts them up and uses them for eel bait, he cought a 1.5 meter eel using it, he then cut it up and cought a heap of other fish, muddies and eels 2

Mattman
23-12-2003, 06:09 PM
g'day fellas
i had first vote and i say release them all. You may not be able to eat them but there has been days where i have been catching nothing and a catty which is better than nothing would've been welcome, considering the size the fat suckers can get to.
Also why would you just release females, do catties don't need males to help them reproduce ???

Cheers Matt

Local_Guy
23-12-2003, 06:26 PM
one local guy was telling me that these cook up nicely.

he basically said. gut them and snip off their spnes with some pliers.
put them in boiling water for about 30 sec - 1min. take them out and peel the skin off.
then take the fillits off. cook them up normally.

i haven't done it, but worth a try ...

anu
24-12-2003, 03:51 AM
if you were going to cook it, the only edible part would be the bottomhalf, the top has all the organs, the bottom is just meat

dexx
24-12-2003, 05:49 AM
i'm with mattman,
unless you are going to use the catfish for bait to catch
crabs.

i say just throw them back. there's probably nothing else
in the brisbane rivers. and i've spent nights that pulled up
maybe 15-20 catfish, let them all go but left with a buzz
and considered it a great fishing night.

dexx
24-12-2003, 05:51 AM
one friend cuts them up and uses them for eel bait, he cought a 1.5 meter eel using it, he then cut it up and cought a heap of other fish, muddies and eels 2

err i think that your friend just make up that story, for as far
as i know. if you get an eel on your line, you got to cut
away the whole part of the line that even might have had
contact with the eel, cos the scent chases all the fish away.

let alone use it for bait!

anu
24-12-2003, 08:27 AM
he said he caught 3 mudcrabs and 2 catfish, and i got the sstory rong, it wasnt a 1.5 metre eel, it was 1.05m

porl
24-12-2003, 11:15 AM
there are heaps of fish in the brisbane river. i live in west end and down the end of my street people catch brim, whiting, small pinky stripy things about four inches long, catfish, and sharks. I watch mullet jump across the river near toowong.

One day more fish will come back am sure, even if as the guy with the phd recently said it will never go blue again. the soone the bcc puts cr@p catchment filters on street drains the better and sooner it will become more fishable. Dunno if I'd anything from my corner of the river yet though, would like to see a heavey metals analysis of these fish done before i ate one.

As for catfish, why would you not send them back ? They aren't like tilapia or carp and have always been there, they have just adapted to the muddiness created by dredging better than other fish.

jewies
24-12-2003, 03:14 PM
the upper Brisbane river has gar, bream, mullet, bass,yellowbelly,silver perch, sharks also heard of flathead been caught at kookuburra park what else oh yeah catfish

anu
26-12-2003, 05:02 PM
yes well were i live (centenery suburbs) i go to this nice spot that you can only get to during the middle of the day , coz if ur not with a friend ull probably get stabbed by a junkie, but yeah we get all sorts of fish there, i even caught a big bream, didnt have a ruler, but it was almost 40 cm id say, yeah u get mullet and gar and flatheads and of course sharks and cat fish (oh and eels, my friend who caught the eel, go's to my school and lives just accros the river), stupidly enuf he swims accros sometimes, its on the bend so its more than 100m accross, yeah neways theres a whole heap of fish in the river, and if you go up to places like collleges crossing, the water is littarally see thru, right down to the bottom

jewies
27-12-2003, 02:38 PM
i also forgot tarpon

mackmauler
27-12-2003, 02:49 PM
How can you tell if its a female catty ???

banshee
27-12-2003, 05:18 PM
I personaly don't kill anything I don't eat,about two months ago I had a club member in my boat,his boat was in for repaires,after I threw back about the sixth rubish fish(Red Harry/Seargent Baker)he asked me what I thought would happen to the ballance of the reef if all the rubish is released and all the desireable fish kept?His thoughts were that we would end up with a reef full of shit fish.I could see his point.

jewies
28-12-2003, 03:49 AM
on a rising tide colleges crossing is literally blue

jockey
28-12-2003, 04:06 PM
mack the females often have eggs
I think they grow bigger too.

Fitzy
29-12-2003, 11:52 AM
You wont catch a female that has eggs because they are mouth brooders ie the female carries the fertilised eggs in her mouth. At this time they wont feed until the eggs are hatched.
I witnessed a spawning run of forkies in the Bremer River years ago. I could have caught hundreds with a landing net. A massive ball of writhing forkies that I'm assuming had at least one female in the middle with males trying to fertiles her eggs as she dropped them. Awesome sight. :o

I recon let em go if you dont have a need for them eg bait, food, crab bait....
We far underestimate the poor old fork-tailed catfish, I'm sure if they were endangered they would enjoy the luxury of far better reputation amoung anglers. They grow to massive sizes, hit hard & pull like a teenager with a playboy. Is it just that they have spines?

What did the bible say about the fish without scales? Maybe that's the reason.....

Cheers,

Fitzy..

jewies
29-12-2003, 03:42 PM
I reckon people who hate catties are the ones that are frightened of there spines :P and they are a great fighting fish especially. It is also better to catch something then to catch nothin at all
my mates biggest is 80cms and mine 60. They are great fun to cath on the bream gear and have been busted off by plenty bigger.

landy1
29-12-2003, 04:41 PM
The girl ones dont have tallywhackers ;D