PDA

View Full Version : How To Make Charter Boats Affordable?

sclmarine
28-12-2003, 07:32 PM
I have had so many responses to "catered fishing passes" and the apparent "want" of a lot of people to be able to add to their fishing with larger boats. Big boats are expensive as a rule, though perhaps in some ways they have a lot of advantages.
Still, I am curious as to what people would like to see (if anything) as to more affordable or flexible charter boat services... for cruising / fishing trips aside what may be around at the moment.
Please feel free to let me know of any of your ideas or thoughts on the subject.

cheers,

Kris

mackmauler
29-12-2003, 05:36 AM
thats easy, just reduce the price ;D

Barrymundi
29-12-2003, 05:53 AM
When it comes to the whingers about price I don't worry too much about them.

Price is long forgotten when quality is remembered.

We offer a normal price which includes everything, then a bare ass price which is for SKipper, Deckie and Boat,

Extras are Food, Ice, Bait, Tackle, GBRMPA EMC, FUEL (travel as far as you want when it is on a cost basis)

and the last one is a CLEANING charge, or you stay and clean boat.

Honestly these people are a waste of time. I would rather charter out to one good set of clients than to 5 groups of people debating the price.

Just one cost for running a chrter boat is insurance, our bill was $800 a year 4 years ago, now is it $10,000 a year.

sclmarine
29-12-2003, 07:10 AM
Ah.. insurance... yes. Gotta have it, but as a rule SO EXPENSIVE. I can relate to Barra, it is one rather large expense that increases the whole overall costs. $10,000 pa is $200 p.w and that is before everything else! I cant help but think that there would have to be a better deal out there than that... our insurances are incorporated with P&I policies from overseas insurers (UK) and amply covers operation here. Works out a lot less than 10K with $10,000,000 public, 150K boat, salvage, pollution, etc etc. Still premiums have increased and thus costs get higher... or people get forced from the industry.

Barrymundi
29-12-2003, 07:55 AM
Would be interested in your brokers names for the insurance.

We are about 480K and in survey for 50 people, the 50 people part is what causes a big increase.

Al

Lucky_Phill
29-12-2003, 08:48 AM
As I have made it clear here many times, Charter Boats are not value for money, But having said that, I'm talking day trippers and in the S/E Qld area.

Hervery Bay offers good 2 day trips for $400. You get 2 morning and one arvo shot at the fish, all meals and gear, even have your fish filleted and snap frozen.

I think the general publics perception of a " charter " is that the poeple that run these know exactly where the fish are and will get an esky full for ya !. The people in the know, you and I , know that the Fishing industry is fickle. You can have a skipper of 50 years experience and he'll get bagged for not filling the clients esky. Why ? Partly because of the fish and partly because the client books the trip sometimes a year in advance and the skipper has to call the shots on wether to go or not. The Skipper knows in advance that the trip will be tough, but he's got ins, rego and a host of other bills lining up. $$$$$.

There is a new charter in the air. here's the deal.

pick you up at ya door(S/E & Central Qld) in a mini bus, take you to fishing house, 5 days fishing. either in a 30ft alloy offshore for any species you want, or in smaller boats for crabbing, lure tossing or fly. The thing is you are in the house every night, no weather probs, all meals ( and even a free beer with diner ), all fillets snap frozen and you get returned to your door. The cost, about the same as a trip to the Swains.

For me, this is a ' different ' type of charter and could catch on. Maybe I'm gettin old and don't want to spend the night rockin around the bilge of a charter boat in the middle of the Pacific. !

Then again, that's why we spent a few big $$$ on a 4 Banger motor and a big boat, to go places the charters only, used to go !

That's me thoughts anyways......><><><><><

Phill

jockey
29-12-2003, 11:24 AM
1) make them more fuel efficient
2) drive them slower
3) change the legislation to make people more responsible for their own actions. eg if someone gets drunk and goes over in the middle of the night and is never seen again, should the skipper be held accountable?

sclmarine
29-12-2003, 12:15 PM
Hmm... now that sounds like a pretty good idea Phil. The problem sometimes with "package deals" is the extra stat requirements that our wonderful Govt may require.. like a tour operators or travel agents type licence... specially if you mix and match accomodation packages with other services. However, having said that... the idea certainly has merit. As the charter industry is so diverse... with all different types of boats from the slow old "trawler" types to fast game boats and all in between there surely must be a happy medium to provide a good service to any area for "end users." I know that we often look for alternative uses for work vessels that we may have, once the jobs they were purchased for are completed... hmmm... perhaps I should think about providing one for an associated buisiness to "add to its appeal"... eg an accomodation provider to permit the use of boat as part of the overall package. (well its a thought...)
As to "guaranteed" fish.... any reasonable person should know that there is no such thing... it is so variable after all. But, yes I can relate to people who get "discontented" as they dont catch what they really want... through no fault of the boats crew. Thats why, I prefer not to operate "scheduled" fishing trips... but prefer to leave the group to direct the destination and use the electronics to assist on any given day!

adrian
29-12-2003, 12:20 PM
hey phil
if you lived near by would they take you home that might be an option

anzac

Lucky_Phill
29-12-2003, 02:57 PM
Not too sure, exactly, what ya mean Adrian ?

Phill

jimbamb
31-12-2003, 11:24 AM
Geez we're a hard lot to please!!! If the boats too slow we whinge about wasted time if its too fast we whinge about wasted fuel.If we catch fish there not big enough if we don't get any the skipper is shaftin us!!If the wind is blowin the charter should have been called off.If its calm the fish won't bite.
Add in tangled lines.arguemunts over whose fishing where on the boat,drunks.and all the other dramas!!!Insurance.regulations.restrictions
Who would be a charter skipper???
All we should expect is to be given a fair chance of gettin a feed,and an enjoyable days fishin.as with all fishin catchin a fish is a bonus...

NQCairns
31-12-2003, 11:52 AM
Yesterday 2 Cairns locals paid $120 dollars each to "fish the reef" on a charter, the charter hung out around Green Is the entire trip. These hardly experienced locals think that the entire trip was $120 each to expensive. nq

darren
01-01-2004, 11:17 AM
So when are we goin and who,s skippering

craigie
03-01-2004, 07:57 AM
Oh Phill, Your giving me that 'Stanage' feeling again !!