PDA

View Full Version : Boat sunk in Brisbane River

Fitzy
06-01-2004, 04:59 PM
A ski boat caught fire & sunk at the Brisbane/Bremer River junction yesterday. I'm guessing it was an inboard or 4 stroke if it went up so easily? All three men on boat recieved minor burns but were lucky to have thier lives.
The issue of Ski boats & PWCs in exactly this area is a hot one lately with one local councillor only last week calling for them to be banned from the river.

More fuel for the fire I would think.

I happened to be only a couple of kilometers upstream at the time & can vouch for the idiot factor there. PWC & ski boats alike totally ignoring the 6 knot zone immediately upstream from the Kookaburra Park ramp. I had my 2 year old son on board for his first ever boat ride & had to go hide in the 6 knot zone while the lad got his sea legs.
Then to top it all off, one ignorant mob (you guessed it, skiers) took 40 minutes to get a boat on the trailer with close to a dozen other boaties sitting there waiting. Tey had enough in their merry band to pick the thing up & carry it home. Fair dinkum!
Think I'll be getting on the band wagon in my area now.

There's one less to worry about after yesterday, only a couple hundred more to go!

Fitzy..

snapperhead
06-01-2004, 05:48 PM
You should start burlying up the local whaler shark population on a sunday arvo pull in a couple of those 6 footers, that might get them thinkin twice, set a few dummy shark fins on floats in the river. That said they are mostly young and dumb with toys mummy and daddy brought then maybe get police up there do a few random checks that long to put a boat on they gotta be on something.

aido
07-01-2004, 06:00 AM
i agree, jetskis boating manners suck big time.
last time i returned to cleveland ramp there were
a group of about 6 jetski dudes parked on the sandy
section next to the ramp.
most boaties like to strike land on the sandy bit, rather
than the rocky side or ramp proper. the ignorant asses
could care less that about 4 boats were circling around
waiting for them to finish their picnic.
it is the sort of thing that makes ramp rage get out of control.
especially when they believe they can use that spot as a parking lot.

another annoying chappy brings a largish barge into the same spot in
the mornings, another matey then arrives with one of those 1 tonner
mobile fridges and proceeds to offload about 100 fish tubs into the truck.
should be a law against using public ramps for commercial uses, imho again.

Big_Muddie
07-01-2004, 05:52 PM
Fitzy,
I live on Riverside Estate (Karalee) and currently, day in, day out hear the skiers ripping up and down the river (I'm about 400 metres from the boat ramp). How there hasn't been a fatality there is beyond me. Jetskis are bad enough, but the ski boat brigade here is sometimes beyond belief! I'd go so far as to say that if the water police set up a radar trap on the water here that most of the ski boat drivers would immediately be poorer! And as for the 6 knot limit - forget it! Most have no idea what a boat ramp is and as for distance - that is beyond their comprehension.

Outside of the "silly season", this sort of activity is usually confined to weekends, but even then, consideration for the regulations and other people trying to enjoy the river is just not there.

I have noticed a greater police presence recently, but as soon as they leave the boat ramp area, the ski boats start again.

It's going to take the life of an innocent before something is finally done about it.

In the meantime, I won't bother using the river - it's far safer travelling to the Pin or somewhere equally as far from here to enjoy some safe boating.

Fitzy
07-01-2004, 06:24 PM
Hi Michael,
I lived in Stuart St Karalee for 2 years. Could throw a rock over the road & hit the river bank. We would commonly get woken up early AM by the roar of V8 inboards on weekends. Drive ya crazy at times.

Fitzy..

BOMBER
08-01-2004, 03:31 AM
YOOOOOHHHHOOOOOOOO,

AT LEAST 1 GOOD THING TO COME OF THIS AT LEAST THATS ONE LESS ON THE WATER FOR A LITTLE WHILE ANYWAY.

Regards,

THE BOMBER

damons33
08-01-2004, 12:12 PM
i'm with you on this one fitzy- the water is meant to be serine not full of mad machine! got a lot of people that could never surf, trying to get the thrills without the fitness!
#bann bann bann, and have a few tightly policed areas that require special fees payed for policing of the sport much like racing cars! hell i could catch a heap of fish with the fuel their burning! you want fast you want skill! get into 18ft skiffs'
but again it aint "instant gratification".
# i'm sick of these types! they is "filth", damo'

aido
08-01-2004, 05:10 PM
i've just bought a sevylor towable sea biskit for the kids,
man o man, stay clear of this irresponsible fool, lol.
if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Fitzy
08-01-2004, 07:24 PM
i've just bought a sevylor towable sea biskit for the kids,
man o man, stay clear of this irresponsible fool, lol.
if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
I've got a tube for the kids as well. But I think, as I've been on the other side of the coin, that I drive the boat more responsibly then the common cowboy when using it on the very rare occasion that I do.

fitzy..