PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Memory card

webby
04-01-2004, 06:23 AM
Can anyone test these cards(whatever you call them)
As Sav just informed me that he found one of mine i lost, floating around the floor of his tinnie, it has most likely been wet.
Wondering if a camera shop can test them to see if there is any water damage done to it, before i try and use it in my camera.
regards

landy1
04-01-2004, 06:25 AM
worth taking it to a shop not to sure with these digitals though, i imagine that as long as ???it wasnt powered when it got wet and its allowed to dry out shell be good. probably corrode real quick though

NQCairns
06-01-2004, 09:10 AM
Hi clean it and dry it out, then see if the camera can do a format , if that goes well take a full card of test photos and see if they turn out? Good luck nq

whiteman
07-01-2004, 08:55 AM
We have a few clumsy guys around here who drop all sorts of electrical things into salt water and even acid baths! The key to recovery is a solid cleansing in clean water (run under a tap or soak) - for phones and cameras, this means taking them apart as best you can - then letting them dry thoroughly. The drying process may take weeks depending upon the circuits and the design of the device. Of course remove all batteries before you put it in the water!

So far our recovery rate is 100%

Render
07-01-2004, 04:28 PM
Whiteman's right, there.

There's not an 'eckythumpin lot in devices of the electrickery that gets permanently buggered by water, as long as they were not switched on at the time.

Damage tends to come from shortcircuits caused by the water.

In the case of the diggie card, that's just a chip on a board... nothing that'll get naused out by water at all.

Just flush it out in clean H2o and dry it off. If you shove it in an oven at a low temperature, the drying process takes a couple of hours, not weeks.

If you wanna test it, just take it into any of those photo shops that offer prints from these cards. They'll shove it into their machine and if it works, fine. If not, they'll tell u and whinge about their damaged machine.

Tell 'em it's "SEP", mate.

Someone Else's Problem.

Cheers,

R

(Render is not responsible for large 'ka-blooey' type noises and holes in things that might result if you put the wrong thing in the oven at too high a temp.

Just thought I'd tell you that.)

webby
07-01-2004, 05:18 PM
Render, Your offer of using your camera and microwave for a test run mate (oops pommie mate). is gratefully accepted ;D
Fish must be keeping you busy lately, havent seen any of your witty responses for sometime.
Or you been watching to much cricket lately, and wishing and wishing the old rule brittianna home team could play as well as the two that concluded today :-X
regards

Gorilla_in_Manila
07-01-2004, 09:34 PM
Is it just me, or did Render used to be called something else and has changed sex. Maybe its just the "Britania waives the Rules, (coz they got no choice)" slogan that is getting me confused.

If not oven at low heat, try a hair dryer. But keep in mind as whiteman said, don't have any electricals attached. I think your card will be fine as long as you found it before serious corrosion started, you flush it immediately in fresh water and there was no power source attached.

If you are still worried about it, find a really good mate that has the same camera and tell him you want to put your own photos on your own card and see what happens.
;D ;D ;D

sav
10-01-2004, 06:46 PM
Webby
As you know the memory card has only been dipped in clean pristine fresh water (and thats why we produce the nicest fish) so no corrosion.
Got the card in front of me now and i think its worth a try in your sony.
I tried to download the nudes but my equipment not up to it - so over to you.
I'll bring to Straddie
See you
Sav

Render
11-01-2004, 09:08 AM
Webster...

Awww u missed me!! :-*

hehehe... I've been busy with a combo of work / alcohol/ festive seasonality / looking at pictures of Bill shivering up in England (anyone know a good welder?? ::)) / concoting various nefarious schemes to get me hands on evil things with fins.

Have had sod luck on the latter (report pending as soon as some kind soul either loosens the jacket or shoves a crayon between me teeth).

However, negotiations are in place for a trip this very weekend with a member of this very forum. I won't say whom just yet, as there's a really strong chance he'll want to both deny the trip ever took place and try to erase the very memory of the experience with over-large quantities of drink.

Now, I'd offer me camera to test your card, but I'll claim copyright of anything uploaded from it. Do you really want the world knowing the awful truth, Webster?? ::) ;)

Best not to use your own kit to check it, as there IS a slllliimmmm chance it could fry if the card isn't fully dry. All u have to do is take it into one of those photo places and tell 'em u want a print off it... then you'll know if it's on the fritz or not. Easy peasy. Sod 'em - they're insured!

As for changing me sex... well it makes for more fun whenyou've got something to play with during the slow times on the bank!! ;)

Actually, that's a bit of a snafu that happened when I was updating me profile and the system choked on me new avatar. Patriotic software u got there, Ausfish ::)

And on that note -the cricket. Webbo... funny u should mention that... I assume you refer to Steve Waugh's swansong? Great sportsman there, in all seriousness. A true legend, but somehow, I don't think there's a man-jack of the England team gonna miss him!! ::).

But I digress... just wanna say that if that is indeed the game you refer to... up in England, an Indian Takeaway is a curry :P

Cheers,

R