PDA

View Full Version : Pollution may sink fish farm

Gazza
14-01-2004, 07:03 PM
http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,8365143%255E2765,00.html

------------------------------------------------------

Pollution may sink fish farm
DARRELL GILES political editor
11jan04
A SECRET government report has put a hole in plans for a huge fish farm in Moreton Bay.

An Environmental Protection Agency assessment of the Sun Aqua project – which would initially produce 1200 tonnes of finfish worth $10 million a year – said it would seriously pollute the pristine marine park.

Premier Peter Beattie had asked for the EPA briefing and was expected to make his recommendation to Cabinet on the fish farm plan soon.

The State Development Department, which is overseeing the project, had been supportive of the potentially lucrative Sun Aqua venture, which would farm fish in cages off Moreton Island.

But other government agencies feared for the wellbeing of Moreton Bay because of the amount of waste that could be dumped into the sea.

Mr Beattie said: "Obviously we will take into account what the (agency) has to say.

"This project will have to meet the highest possible environmental standards if it is to get the go-ahead."

That would seem doubtful now.

The EPA report noted that more than 1000 public submissions were received last year on the environmental impact statement for Stage 1 of the project.

It said the reduction of nitrogen loads should be first priority for the bay.

"Stage 1 of the fish farm would discharge untreated waste that would contribute an additional nutrient load to Moreton Bay of up to 48 tonnes of nitrogen per year and 11 tonnes of phosphorous per year."

That would be equivalent to the nitrogen load from a large sewage treatment plant.

"In the opinion of the EPA, the draft environmental impact statement has failed to demonstrate that the proposed sea cage fish farm could be operated in an ecologically sustainable manner."

The EPA said the issues were not unique to Sun Aqua and would apply to any proposal to farm fish in sea cages in Moreton Bay.

Sun Aqua has strenuously denied water quality would be affected.

It said antibiotics and toxic chemicals would not be used, animals would not be tangled in nets, there would be no harm to the dugong population, and sharks would not be attracted in large numbers.

Director Dr Julian Amos told The Sunday Mail yesterday he was unaware of the EPA assessment and said such comments would pre-empt new submissions from Sun Aqua.

"We have been in discussions with the EPA, State Development and Primary Industries . . . we are doing more work on our remodelling."

Sun Aqua would ensure new proposals would satisfy officials that the risk of polluting the bay was minimal.

Gazza
15-01-2004, 10:10 AM
"Sun Aqua would ensure new proposals would satisfy officials that the risk of polluting the bay was minimal "

--------------------------------------------------------

Minimal ,eh...... :-X

Best offer 'on the table'............minimal,eh ... :-X

Ensure you flip through a few pages of the dictionary ,and look-up "negligible" , and then flip backwards from there to the "i" listings and try to grasp the concept of "Intrinsic Safety"

And then read-up on Scottish? Salmon/trout? recently ;)

:-X Gazza :-X

Lucky_Phill
15-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Yes Gazza, this venture, I and others < believed would never get off the ground. From the start, the Department of State Development was in charge of this and asked SunAqua to do thier own EIS ( Environmental Impact Statement ) which really pissed off the EPA. For any of this to get thru, it HAS ( by law ) to get EPA approval. Now that the EPA has done their EIS, the FF is RS. ;)

Phill

Thunderbird
15-01-2004, 12:43 PM
"Sun aqua".what a nice name, how could those guys be dangerous. :-/

jaybee
15-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Lucky phil
Yes Gazza, this venture, I and others < believed would never get off the ground i still have the humble pie in mind phil. still havent made up my mind on what you are going to eat though. but i will think of something nasty ;D
cheers
Joe.

Gazza
15-01-2004, 01:16 PM
Phil , ;D ;D ;D
"which really pissed off the EPA" ::)

Mate ,the EPA pisses me off at times tooo :P :P :P

imported_admin
15-01-2004, 02:53 PM
" Premier Peter Beattie had asked for the EPA briefing and was expected to make his recommendation to Cabinet on the fish farm plan soon."

Will that be before the election ;D

jaybee
16-01-2004, 07:17 AM
I wouldnt like to be in beatties shoes, publicly he cannot appear to be for or against, but deep down i feel the dollars from the farm will be the decider, reap the benefits now, pay later from the fallout, mmm gee it might even cause 30% of the bay to be closed like the gbr eh.
who knows ????

Gazza
16-01-2004, 07:29 AM
Jaybee , i don't care if it takes as long as the Redcliffe Railway Project to go ahead , or the hydrogen car :-X ::) :D :D :D