PDA

View Full Version : February 7 State Election

Fisheasy
15-01-2004, 05:45 AM
Okay guys, so who do anglers vote for? One that has closed 1/3 of the reef to anglers, has closed top fishing areas to protect the grey nurse shark or do we vote for the devil we don't know?? :-/

agnes_jack
15-01-2004, 06:32 AM
Vote 1
The devil! [smiley=devil.gif] [smiley=end.gif]

imported_admin
15-01-2004, 06:48 AM
No surprise that an election has been called for next month. You called see the writing on the wall when they started rushing through things such as the GNS law, GBR closure, etc.

Will be interesting to see if Homer will make his recommendation to Cabinet on the fish farm plan before the election.
See this post regarding an article in the Sunday Mail - http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=General;action=display;num=10740061 90

Will the majority of anglers still cast their vote depending on the parties Health, Education & Employment promises or will they look further into things such as fishing related issues?

What are our choices as an angler?

NQCairns
15-01-2004, 07:22 AM
Well for the first time ever I will be voteing from a single interest platform only (fishing), so who do i vote for, also need to know who their preferences go to as well (dont want to give the greens a vote by accident) So who ???nq

Gazza
15-01-2004, 08:48 AM
Okay guys, so who do anglers vote for? #One that has closed 1/3 of the reef to anglers, has closed top fishing areas to protect the grey nurse shark or do we vote for the devil we don't know?? :-/

Hi Fisheasy , I thought Kemp was 'federal' regards the GBR ??? jurisdiction i.e. how far are Q'ld borders into (from the shoreline) the GBR ???

Do you believe the GNS sites would be "overturned" if another party gets in ???

IF we look at 'fishing' my lean towards ,and everybody else has every right to vote for whoever they so choose ,no argument, no beef from Gazza ;) ........

Is towards a party who have at least stated "NO RFL required to fish Q'ld"
(the SIP i support 110% ,for the put-n-take concept)

Abstract thinking but true (IMHO) ,I would not like to see a coalition of lib/nats/greens/democrats?/one nation? ,as a mish-mash of ideas going nowhere (IMHO)

Whatever happens i.e. regardless , it would be bad to have such a close number of seats differential ,to then HAVE TO BEN DOVER FOR THE 'Greens'

I'm (4 votes, only one is mine ;) ) in Henry's patch ,and do like/respect the resolve he indicated and did do ,to stop ring-netting. (and streets ahead of any 'opponent locally' to compare 'fishing' clout!! ,by his safe? position on the ministry)

I don't believe QLD is "Broke" , mechanically or financially ,and as stated above "IF we look at 'fishing' my lean towards ,and everybody else has every right to vote for whoever they so choose ,no argument, no beef from Gazza ;) " .........

dazza
15-01-2004, 10:39 AM
hmm politics- probably a good thread to steer clear of, but stuff it. by two bobs, for what it is worth

would we have seen the fishing reforms we have seen under a coalition (nat/lib) state govt?

imho henry and his merry men are trying to develop a sustanable fishery, some decisions are interesting to say the least (gns) but as a whole they are probably having a fair go (spottie regs, new bag limits etc)

i will be asking my local member and prospective candidates for their views and fishing policy,fish farms,pro issues, etc
only problem is the buggers will probably lie anyway.

the only thing that worries me is that the nats will listen to the bleating's of the pro fishos and retrurn the laws to the dark ages.

happy voting
dazza

NQCairns
15-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Hey Dazza
For those without much state knowledge like me -who is Henry? cheers Nq

Hey Dazza

jaybee
15-01-2004, 01:09 PM
here you go guys go here and have your say http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/onlinefocus/QLD_election_2004/Questionnaire.htm put my say in. I recieve this through being a member of the university, anyone can join. there is also a link so you can email friends to fill in the questionnaire. not happy jan
cheers
joe.

landy1
15-01-2004, 01:23 PM
Done

imported_admin
15-01-2004, 02:51 PM

Your Minister for everything ;D

Primary Industries Minister Henry Palaszczuk. You would think that with the huge resource that it is we would have a Minister for Fisheries instead of one that is representing everything from cane farmers to rec fishos.

This is the guy that was quoted as saying the following in regards to the new regs introduced on the 13th of December.

"Mr Palaszczuk said the Queensland Fisheries Service had ensured fishers were made aware of the changes with widespread information, including several new brochures on the changes. "

Maybe that should have been changed to
...widespread misinformation, including several new brochures that already needed changes. "

sharkbait
15-01-2004, 03:19 PM
Gazza, whats the problem with a rec fishing licence, given (and this is the big thing) that the funds would go towards rec only areas and commercial buy outs? I'd happily pay 30 or 50 bucks a year (or more) if we could see places like moreton bay, hervey bay, the broadwater and some of the big rivers as rec fishing only areas.

jaybee
15-01-2004, 03:47 PM
kris i have no problem with a license to fish either, however, its the deciet, lies and manipualtion of the rec fishers i have problems with, there is still more on the agenda the beattie gov wont open up to unless they win the next election and if the coalition win well where will we be then ...God only knows. we will be damned if we do and damned if we don't eh
cheers
Joe

Lucky_Phill
15-01-2004, 03:49 PM
I see Mary Rose has pulled the pin !

Yeah well, what ya expect !

Phill 8)

SteveCan
15-01-2004, 04:19 PM
Merri will probably be doing full time now what she has been doing part time for years - being a commercial beach netter on Moreton. It's a good life over there - especially with a nice golden handshake to fill in the off season.

Can't say I blame her - it's a good life over there.

Cheers
Steve.

PinHead
15-01-2004, 04:19 PM
A fishing license?? no way..any bugger that comes with that idea won't have a seat in Parliament for too long...We don't need it..we don't want it..it would just be another money grab from the poor ol taxpayer...AGAIN.

Gazza
16-01-2004, 07:25 AM
Gazza, whats the problem with a rec fishing licence,

given (and this is the big thing) that the funds would go towards rec only areas and commercial buy outs?

I'd happily pay 30 or 50 bucks a year (or more) if we could see places like moreton bay, hervey bay, the broadwater and some of the big rivers as rec fishing only areas.

Sharkbait ,

you said: given (and this is the big thing) that the funds would go towards rec only areas and commercial buy outs?

I said: "I don't believe QLD is "Broke" , mechanically or financially"

Why can't existing funds do that? with a bit of management, are we broke?

Regards
Gazza

bugman
16-01-2004, 08:15 AM
Good to see you guys are entering the political whelm.

Believe 1/5 of what you here and 1/10 of what others say (unless you know who you're talking to ;))

Just on the fishing license.

It is seen as a "tax" by this government. This government has a no new tax policy currently in place - publically anyway. So unless the fearless leader decides to change to his public stance (unlikely) there won't be a fishing license in Queensland for a bit longer yet.

Just a note regarding the original poll by Fisheasy. It does pay to separate Federal and State political decision when mulling over this topic.

And as for JB - well my old friend, I've warmed up the oven and gone shopping for the ingredients. Do you like your slicies small or large. ;D ;D (it's still too early to gloat yet anyway)

Bugman

jaybee
16-01-2004, 09:20 AM
u know me brett i will remain cynical until the dying gasp, glug glug
cheers
joe.

sharkbait
16-01-2004, 02:45 PM
Gazza, I agree but it ain't happening is it? My opinion rec fishing in Qld needs a powerful lobby group to pressure the govt into being proactive. Sunfish is good for stocking, clinics, and a host of other things but a real 'fishermans voice' is needed. easy to say i know. If you had a licence funded (or boat rego etc) peak group saying to the govt, we've got 10 000 members who are going to vote against you unless .... It seems to work for the pros anyway.

Gazza
16-01-2004, 03:13 PM
Sharkbait, #who you tick 1 for , i don't givashit ,o.k. #;)

Sunfish ,well they aren't on the election card #,so i will say i'm dissapointed the "Greg" Shark is still on their website ,like , it was mentioned "the day" (by me) it was christened #and a "s-i-m-p-l-e typo" hasn't been corrected ,why? , i wouldn't have a clue.

You mentioned "boat rego" #,yep mate ,look at yours #,it mentions a $12 PPV (recreational levy) and where does that money go for a 'boatie' ,to buyout commercials?, a RFHaven or 3 #,maybe it has ,probably it hasn't, I personally don't need an 100% RFHaven , could and probably would be some crappy/raped area that we corall ourselves in ? ,nah i don't want that , just be nice if there is less commercial a.k.a. trawling/ring-netting in any area ,that has to be better ,if the commercials go to handlines,etc ,I don't #givashit whether i fish beside them or not ,they can have a quota to remain profitable if the area can handle the pressure.

AusFish is as good a realtime Qld medium for a 'voice' as you would ever get i.e. realtime comment, compared to #a minister controlling the 'veto' of any trust funds , in the other #RFL states, that I am aware of.

e.g. a #simple WTF......
NSW has an RFL ,and still continues to charge kids to "learn to fish" $40.00 ,how piss-weak is that for a "funded" voice

p.s. 10,000 pro's ?? , i don't think so #;)

(tried to be unpolitical as possible (by waffling),if you don't agree ,i don't givashit #;) ;D ;D )

Regards
Gazza

sharkbait
16-01-2004, 04:16 PM
As far as I know the $12 rec levy from boat rego went to sunfish, I'm not sure now after last years accounting kerfuffle, maybe someone else can answer that for you.

10, 000 pros, never said that, merely pointing out that they have a strong lobby group, and we don't. 10, 000 rec fishos represented by a peak body, I think you'd agree thats possible.

As for the rest of it, firstly I'm not sure why you " don't give a shit " its just a conversation mate , and its hard to take you seriously when you carry on like that. I'm no politician or fisheries manager, just putting my view based on my experiences, and i'm not saying I'm definitely right.

I don't know anything about $40 bucks to teach a kid to fish, and yeah it sounds strange, but in my opinion fisheries management in NSW, whilst it has its problems, is still in a better way than up here.

eg. a seperate fisheries minister, rather than whacking it in with Primary industries, someone brought that up in a seperate post and its very relevant.

eg. The RFA's, even some vocal skeptics have admitted that the positives of the RFA's have made up for the dodgy consultation process and other negatives to the system. Some Rec only areas have to be better than none right?

eg. no tailor beach hauling

eg. realistic size and bag limits on most species

jockey
17-01-2004, 08:04 AM
Which party is most likely to save the GBR from global warming rather than just controlling the fishing side?

I think the greens are against the RFL for social justice reasons (shouldn't have to pay to go fishing).

Has anyone done a poll on support for a RFL in QLD?

Gazza
17-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Sharkbait ,we 'already' have some Rec only areas.
i.e. minus trawlers ,don't we ?

Sunfish doesn't get the "full" boat Rego or any serious assistance to fix their website? ,why not ? ,i don't giveashit ,maybe they didn't ask/demand justice/monies/shafting

You are very unsure of what you say
e.g. As far as I know the $12 rec levy from boat rego went to sunfish...
e.g. and i'm not saying I'm definitely right
e.g. I don't know anything about $40 bucks to teach a kid to fish
e.g. a seperate fisheries minister, rather than whacking it in with Primary industries, someone brought that up in a seperate post and its very relevant.

Gazza: that is relevant ,one minister for everything ,one signature, rather than trade-offs between farmers/tourism/recfisho 'Ministers' signature , to achieve the same thing #::)

regards your other e.g.s WHY do you feel you haven't paid this Gov't ENOUGH ,to ask for a pound-of-flesh ,to expect to fish-4-free , and improvement of services #??? ??? ???

P.S. JOCKEY , stop being a richard-cranium / ######## ,quote something similar to "no RFL" from your Greenie mates ...... err, dumbo #>:(

jockey
17-01-2004, 12:04 PM
geez you guys resort to insults quickly

I can't quote 'my greenie mates' because what I said is based on a conversation I had with my local greens rep a while back. He only fished occasionally and for him it would be a significant added expense compared to what he normally spends on fishing in a year, whereas it wouldn't make much difference to us regular fishos. Plus I'd assume they'd be against 'flat taxes' because they disadvantage the poor. But if you don't believe me you are welcome to ask them yourself. You could even write down what they say and quote them here. Keep in mind that they probably don't have an official policy on everything because they are only a small party.

ps Gazza care to give your answer to my first question above?

Gazza
17-01-2004, 02:02 PM
That's a fair question jockey , because you can't /won't answer my original (p.s.) ,and can't quote a greenie movement policy , bar a mate who wouldn't pay anyways to fish, I think your a richard-cranium.

No favourites mate ,are you old enough to vote #,and why will you vote ,to acheive what,from whom .... #;D ;D ;D ;D

Take your time ,mate ,coupla weeks to go yet #;D ;D ;D
(so there is your first e-x-c-u-s-e)
rishard-cranium ,by the way ,is a person, i knew at school #:P :P ;D

sharkbait
17-01-2004, 02:18 PM
[quote author=jockey link=board=General;num=1074044708;start=20#23 date=01/16/04 at 16:04:31]geez you guys resort to insults quickly

you got that right.

Gazza you seem to be set in your ways and opinions, good for you, it must be nice to be so sure of everything.

Believe it or not there are many people out there who do support a qld Rfl for valid reasons.

I can agree to disagree, but perhaps you aren't prepared to get off the soap box yet.

Gazza
17-01-2004, 02:29 PM
Sharkbait ,those who 'do' want an RFL ,should start a petition ;)

I will not sign ,to be consistent, those who do are welcome to do so...

I do disagree with an RFL ,but so what ,that is only 'one' against, you suggest "I'd happily pay 30 or 50 bucks a year (or more)" ,and that is your perogative ,no argument ,no beef from Gazza ;D ;)

Demo-crazy at it's best :P
Gazza

jockey
20-01-2004, 05:42 AM
Gazza lets pretend to be grownups for a while and drop the name calling OK.

Now, what was that question again? Perhaps you should rephrase it so it looks like a question. I can't be bothered finding out what the official greens policy is and if you can't either then this is a pretty pointless point.

I am old enough to vote and I will vote for whoever shares my views on the issues I consider to be most important (and yes that does include fishing). Maybe we're more alike than you think.