PDA

View Full Version : Shafted - Mt Isa - ouch

landy1
10-01-2004, 11:44 AM
:o
Found out yesterday that im getting posted to Mt Isa for two years from May. Hmmmm at least theres barra in them there dams. Gonna miss the Bay and the Pin though. Might be able to put the whiting rod on the shelf for a while.
Oh well it must be nearly time for a Mt Isa chapter of Ausfish
cheers
Mick

Brissyguy
10-01-2004, 11:50 AM
***OUCH*** :-/

Mick thats sooooo far from the bay.
I travel up to the Isa about 4 times a year and there are some decent fisherfolk up there as well.
I hear the odd trip to Kurumba restores your sanity, I'll make some enquiries for ya as I am up there in 3 weeks time.
Fly to Isa, fly Isa to Century and then try to convince the guys we need to visit the Port at Kurumba. ;D

Brissy.

Gorilla_in_Manila
10-01-2004, 11:57 AM
Bye Bye Mick,
I got "posted" to Malaysia for supposedly only 6 to 12 months. That was at the end of 1992. Hope you know how to drink bundy and coke and play darts! ;D
Cheers,
Jeff

landy1
10-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Yeah, im getting that two years in writing first plus my choice of transfer afterwards.
At least i can still go fishing, could have been cunumalla or domadgee

Gorilla_in_Manila
10-01-2004, 12:03 PM
There will be a plane ticket to cunumulla waiting for you on the desk at Mt Isa. ;D

landy1
10-01-2004, 12:05 PM
;D
Id invite everyone up to sample the metre long barra, but Webby would just go out and catch squire in the dam ::)

damons33
10-01-2004, 01:29 PM
yep some people don't know who their talking too!
haha damo' ::)

jeffo
10-01-2004, 01:37 PM
what do you do for work mick? being sent bush is the only thing stopping me from training to be a primary school teacher. but then again my second choice for my career could do the same thing. its an uncomfortable thought! :(

mackmauler
10-01-2004, 01:38 PM
Being sent bush isnt a bad thing, just depends what sort of bush it is ay ;D

adamleah
10-01-2004, 01:43 PM
Guessing you have joined the blue brigade...

A mate of mine did the 2 year stint up there, loved it.... just a long way from home....

Became an alcoholic as well.... ;) ;)

Good luck up there

Mad_Barry
10-01-2004, 02:10 PM
Don't feel bad, it's not quite at the a/hole of the world, but rumour has it, if you climb the top of the lead smelter stack you can damn near see it from there. ;D

It's a very "social" joint if you like a beer #;D
the stocked barra lake is coming along pretty good,
karumba & the gulf is "just up the road"
Lots of good 4wd ing & camping about the place as well

I spent about about 16yrs there, in 2 seperate stints.......and survived #;D

webby
10-01-2004, 03:20 PM
Sorry to see ya go mate, spent 3 years in darwin and turned into a rum alcoholic. dont think the isa would be any different.
at least you'll give the landy a good hiding up there, to and from the gulf.
When you leaving, will come and help ya pack ;D
regards

landy1
10-01-2004, 04:48 PM
To those that didnt know yep its a work thing, just about finished my first year constable program and now going to my first tenure, No worries Damo, but i'll keep hasling everyone here for info cause its a whole new ballpark for me. I might have to consult on serious drinking training for the stint aswell. Anyone have a second hand dialalysis machine ;D

Big_Kev
10-01-2004, 04:55 PM
Mick plenty of fly fishing up there. Only prob is the little buggars get very annoying.
Don't forget the aerogaurd.
Spent 3 months up there about this time last year.Gotta tell you but it is hot.
The boat will be just the trick for chasing the Barra out at the dam and you will have to beef the trailer up to get out to the other spots for a fish.(lake julius,kurumba)
The Irish club is the hot spot for a beer and to brag about the big barra you dropped at the side of the boat.
I think you best chase up the landy and get her back . You will be needing her.
Wish you the best Kev.

landy1
10-01-2004, 05:09 PM
Gives me an excuse to go car shopping, looking at a discovey and a bike for fun, mmmm airconditioning. Ive heard the Irish pub pulls a good pint. Im gonna make it my mission to chase those barra on fly gear. the boat trailer is on 15 inch wheels now but im gonna have to think about the suspension. the new srpings on it will do for now. Huge amount of work to do.
cheers
Mick

Remo
10-01-2004, 05:12 PM
I could think of worse places to be sent.(Say Melbourne) ::) Mt isa I found wasn't to bad, I had a stint there for 18 months while building the facilities at the Hilton mine outside town. There are only three things to think of up there Lake Moondarra, Lake Julius & Karumba.

Karumba is definetly worth the drive. :)

Big_Kev
10-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Yeah I think that Melbourne or Sydney would be worse for sure.
Might be in the middle of nowhere but there is everything that you need.
And you will see and do things you will talk about for the rest of your life, it seems there is never anything to do but never enough time to do it.
I will try to get the number of the pres of the fish stocking group up that way.
There is a web site for the group but I have no idea where to start.
When the locals catch a big one it makes the front page of the paper, so we will be waiting for the post of the front page with Landy holding a big Barra.
Cheers Kev.

landy1
10-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Kinda looking forward to it on one level, at least work wont be boring, and as stated its a damn good spot to go on treks to places like kakadu etc. Im sure ill get some good memories and the future workmates are supposed to be a good bunch of people a mate in the job is going up with me aswell.

PinHead
10-01-2004, 09:30 PM
You will know when you arrive there...the sulphur smell...clears the sinuses.
Did someone mention Cunamulla...would much rather there than the Isa.

Brett_Hoskin
11-01-2004, 04:58 AM
Bye Bye Mick,
I got "posted" to Malaysia for supposedly only 6 to 12 months. That was at the end of 1992. Hope you know how to drink bundy and coke and play darts! ;D
Cheers,
Jeff

Or in your case San Miguell ;D ;D ;D

bugman
11-01-2004, 05:45 AM
Shit Mick !!

A month after selling the old girl. I guess air conditioning is a priority now. I had a good mate who ran the ABC newsroom out there who was the biggest maddest keenest fisherman you've ever seen. The worst part is that he's just moved to Cairns to run that office. Sahme because he would have been good to hook up with.

I'll talk to him and try and give you a few leads.

When are you off?

Bugman

Gorilla_in_Manila
11-01-2004, 06:05 AM
Well Malaysia was Anchor or Carlsberg, but my current hardship posting its San Mig.
When in Rome ... and all that!
At 75c a pot, the more you drink, the more you save!
;D ;D ;D

Render
11-01-2004, 09:27 AM
Landy,

Am I missing something?? ???

Did I see u say you're Plod, mate? A Rozzer, Lilly, Surrey Flange, Old William??

And you're flapping about finding decent spots to fish from?

Mate, pull over a boat & trailer rig & start writing up the driver for everything up to & including the murder of Rasputin.

Mutter stuff... "Hmmm, ten points for the dodgy stop lamp... add five for the tyre... I reckon that bream's undersize at 45cm... better add another 10 points for that... don't like the shape of your nose... 15 points... is that a scratch on the side of your boat?... 10 points... hmmmm.... u might see your license back in 2045 some time, but I wouldn't bet on it... by the way, don't forget to bend from the knees when u pick up the soap inside, wink-wink...."

Give it 5 mins of that then casually drop how much doing your duty is breaking your heart, 'cause you're a fisherman yourself and if only you knew the good oil for the area, you'd probably spend more time there and less time pulling folk over. Heck, you might even decide to go check all those good spots out right now, before you finish writing the ticket... cough-cough.

Reckon you'll find a few good spots that way, meself ;)

Cheers,

R

rainbear
11-01-2004, 11:30 AM
Don't worry about leaving your whiting gear behind there's plenty of sooties and saratoga at the Isa that will test how good you are on light gear

team_mongo
11-01-2004, 02:08 PM
Mick,
worked up there for a while. The fishing is quite good. That was b4 there was barra in Mondarra. Used to get sleepy cod in there. Now its big barra.

Lake Julius is about 100k outta town. Great sooty fishing. And after the wet, there is awesome fishing in the creeks around the town. I use to get more than 40 sootys in afternoon (thats after work!) sight casting.

It's not that bad, and odds on you'll have a good time.

George

Big_Kev
11-01-2004, 03:32 PM
Render I see you are still with us.
You have the flag with the score on it.
Bloody Poms.

Render
11-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Hehehe, don't wanna hi-jack Landy's thread, Kev, so I'll start another just for you ASAP... got some pics you'll 'like' ;D

[smiley=whip.gif]

Cheers,

R

landy1
11-01-2004, 07:32 PM
;D
Should be heading off somewhere around the end of May. Now ive got to find out about these fish called barra, closed seasons etc. Hmmmm so much to do boat to fix tackle to buy. :D
cheers
Mick

Big_Al_2
16-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Geez I hate having to retype when it doesn't accept the photos.

Lived in Isa for 7 years and still have house there (can't afford to sell as it must be one of the few places in the world where house prices have gone down).

Have attached a couple of photos to wet your appetite - literally. Wet season has arrived. The dams were getting very low - but not any more. Follows are photos of the Leichardt River running through town (and down to Moondarra) and the Lake Julius dam wall. There will be a lot more water between the fish when you get there.

Cheers

Big Al 2

Big_Al_2
16-01-2004, 10:14 AM
Lake Julius this week

Gorilla_in_Manila
16-01-2004, 10:25 AM
Don't bother with the boat Mick, just fish from your car. ;D

landy1
16-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Hmmmmmmmm not as dry in Mt Isa as I thought it was

Remo
16-01-2004, 03:43 PM
It's hard to believe the road into lake julius is below the dam wall.
Landi, you may still need the old girl to cross it. ( not!) :o :o

Big_Kev
16-01-2004, 05:58 PM
When I went to lake julius last year a 4x4 was a definite.
And the closer you got to the dam the worse the road got and was washed out below the dam wall.
Looks like the locals have filled up the dam for your arrival to Mick.
Cheers Kev.

landy1
16-01-2004, 07:54 PM
Yep but that just puts more water between the fish, help i dont need ::). Excellent excuse to buy a new landy i think. Ive already disgusted Buggie by selling the leafy now ill have to go further and tell him Im buying a disco ;D :o
cheers
Mick

bugman
17-01-2004, 03:19 AM
Oh the shame Michael [smiley=disappointed.gif]

Oh the shame [smiley=disappointed.gif]

Big_Al_2
17-01-2004, 04:48 AM
See earlier comment about fishing from the car. Here's todays photo from the car park at Lake Moondarra.

By the way the spillway is over at Moondarra as well as Julius.

Cheers

Big Al 2

Mad_Barry
17-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Just got a few pics from friends still over there,

you'd better get over there soon while the waters up #;D, it would be handy to wet a line over lunch, 'cause your "place of work" #is just across this bridge & about 100m up the road to the right on this pic, (don't think you'd catch anything at the moment though ::) ;D)

landy1
17-01-2004, 03:11 PM
So what your saying id dont give away my togs :D :D

tshort
23-01-2004, 01:18 AM
Spent some time in the North and West myself no stocked dams then and the locals were cautious of releasing information on favourite holes at first. I bought my first house in Longreach and lived there for about five years but was still considered an itinerant. A great time for fishing the Wild but many miles may be involved. Some good fishing down Boulia way and of course the gulf country some hours to the north. I've just been shafted myself to Fraser Island, only problem its only until Easter at this stage.

DRJ
23-01-2004, 05:36 AM
Sounds like you need to hook up with the local fish stocking group. Have met a few of the boys over the past few years and they are a good bunch. Here is the web site.

http://www.mountisafish.org.au/

Darren

Fisheasy
23-01-2004, 05:43 AM
Hey Landy, You should do a swap with Jules in Hervey Bay. #I'm sure he's sick of catching all those Golden Trevally and Tuna on fly by now #;D