PDA

View Full Version : Bream series on Tv

Nugget
01-01-2004, 02:04 PM
Recieved a mail out today on the Tv telecast of the AFC Bream Pro Series.

I thought some members might find it interesting.
Telecasts will be on Channel 10 on Sundays at:
Jan 4 #- 12noon - 12.30pm
Jan 11 - 12noon - 12.30pm
Jan 18 - 12noon - 12.30pm
Jan 25 - 12noon - 12.30pm
Feb 1 - 12noon - 12.30pm.

The competitors are:
Jesse Lomas
Steve Starling
Adam Royter
Chris Wright
Tim Morgan
Ian Miller.

I believe this is the first telecast of a fishing comp series in Oz.
Should be interesting - I wonder if the "Royter swim" will make air play?

Dave ><>

CHRIS_aka_GWH
01-01-2004, 04:36 PM
at first glance of the times I thought it was being shown during breaks in the cricket but **** CHANNEL TEN ****.

Do you know how it works Dave or is there a web adress with the rules listed on the mail out?

chris

Nugget
02-01-2004, 01:06 AM
Hi Chris
No, there's nothing about rules or regulations on the mail-out.

I beive the tournaments have a bag limit of five fish each, which must be held alive.
You are allowed to up-grade to bigger fish, releasing the smaller ones.

No trolling is allowed and you can only use artificial bait, lure or fly.
There is also a strict limit on fishing time.

I think this was a sepaerate "invitational" comp called the "Bream Pro Series" but run under the same rules as the BREAM Tournaments.

Dave ><>

PinHead
02-01-2004, 01:11 AM
damn...why only artificial "baits" ?
I have had absolutely no success on plastics at all..have thrown them away..I will stick with my trusty and proven baits...always seem to get something on them and NEVER miss getting a feed of bream in winter on real baits.

Jack_Lives_Here
02-01-2004, 06:49 AM
Chris try www.bream.com.au

Been fishing with a mate who is into the comp stuff. It's amazing where he can pull a fish from. I've learnt heaps.

Don't give up on the plastics pinhead - they work a treat. It's a matter of persistence and fishing the right country.

jeffo
02-01-2004, 06:52 AM
i have caught more flathead since i have been fishing with plastics (last few months) than i have ever caught before!

matthewhill
02-01-2004, 07:14 AM
just the other day i went for a fish and soft plastics outfished bait by 6 to 1. couldnt believe it myself. keep trying pinhead becausse they hit like trains on softies!

agnes_jack
02-01-2004, 07:40 AM
Pinhead
Mate do yourself a big favour and keep trying with those plastics. You may need to get a bit of info on things like presentation, using a bit of rod action, the right size for the right species, etc.The weight of the jig head plays a big part in the presentation as well. Ive been fishing with them since the only ones available were the mister twister double tails, and they have proven themselves to me time and time again, on many occasions outfishing bait and turning a no fish day into a pearler. Zeeke seems to be the renowned plastics expert so maybe he can fill you in on some of the dos and donts.

Persistance will give results Tony ;) :D

Zeeke
02-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Expert?? im sure we all known what an expert is these days.. a drip under pressure.. hehe..

Mate, just keep up with it, persistance is the key.. but it also needs belief that they will work for you, otherwise you wont catch fish.. the problems these days is, guys and girls walk into there local tackle-O and get overwhelmed with the range of soft plastics in there area.. then the tackle shop employee wanders over and tells you big storys about the big fish they have been getting and show off exactly what they are using and forget to tell the poor people how to use them.. before i can help you possibly catch fish on them, it helps to know what your using and targetting and what areas.. So, what are you using?? rod? reel? line?? jighead weight? soft plastics?? fresh or salt water?? and what species??? once i know that i can tell you how to actively target them

Tight Lines

Tim

Zeeke
02-01-2004, 11:48 AM
As for the TV series, its setup as a promotional deal for the ABT tournaments, idea is to get a few of the top gun anglers in all identical boats with identical motors and setups to fish in rivers on the east coast of australia during the warmer months targetting bream to show that they are still actively caught when we think they are out of season.. the series was shot a couple of months ago, but its supposed to be really good, i know they were also selling the boats after the series final.. dont know if any are still around or available.

Tim

PinHead
02-01-2004, 01:24 PM
You have one thing right Zeeke..about the tackle shop kid..hell..I have been fishing before the little brat was even born and here he is telling me that such and such plastics never fail...I don't think he got what I meant when I suggested they were probably the ones they make the most profit on.

I did buy some and some jig heads...tried them several times to no avail..consigned them to the black soldier out front (wheelie bin). I must be too old..LOL..any advice on types etc would be appreciated...main species I target are bream, whiting and flathead...there are so many of these SP's on the shelves...I doubt anyone could convince me that they all work..so many manufacturers these days all trying to make a buck...I nearly died when seeing the price of rods..I will revert to making my own again. And as for reels...they have to be kidding as to the prices for some of them..I somehow think that manufacturers are trying to over-complicate (my new word for the language) what in reality should be a relaxing pastime.

mackmauler
02-01-2004, 02:44 PM
Pinhead

I agree..for me the appeal is the traditional bait, mullet gut/tuna/yabbies etc and you can sit back and have a quiet ale :D whilst waiting for the bite.

Lure fishing for bream is a busy activity, and i prefer to leave the hardwork to the bigger species ;D but by spending big you can get some enjoyment out of fishing that way, you soon realise a lighter rod reel etc will make casting a tiny lure easy, and then of course you need a fireline to work its magic, that suits the retail maket and by the looks of it they are laughing all the way to the bank, the unfortunate fact imo is spending lots of money will make you a better bream on lures fisher.

For the true bream fishing experience short island at the pin on a june night is still the way to go 8) 8) judging the results of guys who get the lions share they havnt taken up plastic fishing yet ;D ;D

Rob

ps Tim, is the guy to go fishing with if you want to go that way pinhead, he makes it look easy..

PinHead
02-01-2004, 03:38 PM
Rob...I started fishing at the Pin in 1968...has been there at Short Island...Tiger Mullet..Kalinga Bank..Pandanus Island etc etc over the years and seen some big catches.
Some of the guys fishing then were absolute wizards at bream fishing...some of them could get a bream out of nowhere...no plastics...no berley..just bait..those were the guys that taught me...and their methods still work today.

Thankfully it appears I am not the only one that still uses bait.

Cheers

spike2
05-01-2004, 05:01 AM
if l want to get smelly fingers it l can think of a lot better ways than playing with bait , plastics rule see photo of boxing day flathead caught on a storm softie ,

might be a few of us plastic boys can get a little freindly comp going at the meet and greet against all you smelly fingers ;D ;D ;D

jeffo
05-01-2004, 05:36 AM
i fished soft plastics yesterday arvo.i walked along a bank up the maroochy river with fallen trees along it,there were 2 old blokes in a boat about 15m out from the same bank and in about 45 mins i pulled 6 lizards right in front of them. they were using bait and didnt pull one fish. while my fish were only small (30-50cm's) it still shows that sometimes changing tactics will produce. while i still swear by baits for most fish i have found my flathead catch rates have gone through the roof with frangers. all fish were caught on burkley dropshots in the 3inch black and gold.

spindles
05-01-2004, 05:40 AM
Now there`s a chalenge from someone thats never had smelly fingers

Nugget
05-01-2004, 09:06 AM
Ok - the Show is over - What did you think of round 1 on the Brisbane River?

Dave ><>

webby
05-01-2004, 09:23 AM
To me it was more of a advertising show and ego trip.
As you have to buy there a.f.c. mag', to find out all the nitty gritty info.

Stick them in a area without any pre-fish, that'll test there knowledge and nouse.
But thats me ;D
regards

Ps spikey me boy, "the big challenge" ;D

jeffo
05-01-2004, 09:35 AM
yeah im with brian... the commentary made it like watching the 3rd match of a tied series in the state of origin.. that guy woulda give big darrel eastlake (spelling?) a run for his money ;D
good to see them catching some fish but i was waiting fot them to tell the viewers what they caught the fish on and how they find works best to target the bream. it was all about the comp and not about the fishing side of things.
something else to watch in the lunch of the cricket i spose ;D 8)

Old.Fart
05-01-2004, 09:36 AM
Poontoon Boat?
What pontoon boat?

Reefmaster
05-01-2004, 09:36 AM
Dave i thought its about time they finally put a show together of this kind. The size of the comps in the USA are huge and this is mainly due to there marketing of the comps. They have big sponser ship deals over there and most comps are televised all over the world which inturn makes the competitions massive. The more entrants there are,more prize money to be won. Its good to see Australia becoming involved with Bass and Bream pro tournaments with great prizes and money to be won. I would like to see more pro tournaments in other styles of fishing. But i wouldnt hold my breath.

The show seemed to be ok and my missus actaully watched the whole program and commented how it was good to watch, as it was far different to other fishing shows and i must agree with her on that. It was also good to see Tim Morgan a Brissy boy win the first round. I worked with Tim for a couple of Years at BLA (humminbird) and he is a top bloke to talk to and also a very funny guy. So its good to see him be successful at what he does best.
Cheers Greg

shano
05-01-2004, 10:26 AM
im with greg my missus also watched it and really enjoyed it ! the format was interesting to watch! ol steve starling was like ol rex hunt the way he was explaining the softie he was using and the ol touch of his hat as he was talking just like ol rexie! anyway look forward to the gold coast show next week!
p.s i didn't like the way they said it was live.... they were saying it was live and it was raining last night when they flew in but today was fine lol it was pis*ing down here when the show was on and were about 15 mins from south bank lol anyway good show!

landy1
05-01-2004, 10:31 AM
Any fishing show is a good show, but seriously i enjoyed it. shows whats possible if your willing to try and have the bucks

jeffo
05-01-2004, 11:10 AM
how could it have been live? 7 hours broken down to half an hour aint live ::) ;D

-Henno-
05-01-2004, 12:40 PM
One of the guys that is actually in this show sms'd me this morning to tell me it was on. I was asleep and didn't want to see his big ugly Schumaker head on my telly anyway. Anybody that saw it guess who I am talking about? Seriously though did anybody tape it?

God I hope he reads this. Live Baitin rocks shooey!

Nugget
05-01-2004, 01:50 PM
I found it entertaining - and like others have said, non fishing friends that watched it with me also found it a lot more interesting than the usual 'grab and grin' footage of fishing shows.

I found the editing a bit odd - they "came back" after showing the second or third fish caught to show "fish caught earlier" - weird!
The timeline was also a bit odd - it was one fish an hour at 10am - then there were minutes left.

Having spent many hours editing - I assume there were some technical problems coordinating it all and also many fishless hours that don't make good footage.

I thought the production itself was mega bucks - graphic overlays, music and footage was first class.

As for being "live" It was a long way from being live - but that didn't detract from the entertainment value for me personally.
I did a small piece on a TV commercial for 4BC 2 weeks ago (goes to air this week I think) and the cameraman was telling me about the Show then - he had shot a few weeks prior!

I have little doubt that Australia will, in our own unique way, follow what the USA has done in fishing tournaments.
I really don't know if this is good or bad - time will tell.
In the back of my mind I keep thinking that fishing is an international sport - like surfing, ballroom dancing and lawn bowls.
Its, (fishing) heroes deserve the same level of sponsorship, status and financial rewards as other international sports-persons.
I think "public opinion" and hopefull the Australian ethos will weed out those competitors with big egos, those solely motivated by a commercial agenda and the truly good anglers and decent blokes will rise to the forefront - that's my hope anyway.

I'll definitely watch the rest of the series - if I'm not out fishing!

Dave ><>

PinHead
05-01-2004, 02:05 PM
Sound like I missed out on a decent fishing show. I usually avoid them for the reasons you mentioned Dave. A good example was yesterday..after the cricket..ET's escape or something..was only partly watching..but..some guy driving up to the Cape was carrying on about how it was bucketing down rain..yet no wipers operating on the car and not a drop of water on it...Aussie producers must think we are idiots at times hence the reason these shows are not all that popular. Russell Quoit is excellent as showing the stupidity of the so called serious shows we have.

NQCairns
05-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Who were the sponsors/brands I couldn't find any product placement no matter how hard i looked. :o

Seriously I must be so out of date like a dinosaur, i own not one of the products or brands placed and have no plans to own any of them in the future. How american was that show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!nq
Ps i did keep watching it all the way to the end though, I wont go out of my way to see round 2. Jack hi might be on th abc.

Heath
05-01-2004, 03:59 PM
I didn't mind the show, very different to what I'm used to be watching. One thing in regards to the SP's to which I am a total beginner. But 7 hours for 3 fish!!!! and 1 entrant got NIL. Seems like too much hard work. Even had a session this arvo & got diddly squate on SP's.

Now, where's my castnet & livey bucket........

opimax
05-01-2004, 04:16 PM
when not out fishing i`ll watch any fishing show on telly.but it did seem a lot of work for there catch. i`ll stick with smelly fingers. lee

Zeeke
05-01-2004, 05:25 PM
Lol, i didnt even watch the show, i was too busy doing stuff on my new truck.. but its good to see people got interested in it.. frangers do work, but sometimes persistance is the key, Heath, ive had days where i couldnt pull a fish out of the drink to save myself.. and otherdays where ive easy caught 40 or 50 fish in a 3hr session, its the luck of the draw and thats fishing.. maybe im crazy, but id prefer not to catch any fish on lures then catch a couple of fish on bait, i cant handle that throwing a lump of meat out the side and letting it sit, i need to do something active and lure fishin does it for me.. know exactly who ur talkin bout Mooks hehehe, go Schoey! its a good idea for a show.. even if i havent watched it yet.. hope to see it next weekend.. with the boys in there big flashy Quintrex Hornets.. plastered up to the eyebrows with big flashy logos and stickers

Tim

clutter
05-01-2004, 06:28 PM
I watched it and enjoyed it very much. Look forward to the next ones although I haven't heard if there is a competitor short after the Gold Coast. It was good to hear Dave giving it a plug on the radio this morning with the Steve Morgan interview also.

I use plastics and bait and enjoy both. With plastics though, you tend to fish (with bream anyway) alot of places you wouldn't normally with baits eg, under jetties, right inside snags. Its also quite amazing the large variety you will catch with the one type of sp.

Cheers, Clutter

searaider
05-01-2004, 09:22 PM
I found it interesting , but very Americanised .
I thought that they could have shown which plastics they were using so we could see which style worked on the day .
At least Steve Starling showed you & discussed the line size he was using.
Even with my bitching I'll still be watching the next leg at the Broard Water.

Searaider 2

BOMBER
06-01-2004, 08:02 AM
Yep watched the show thought it to be OK, they didn't go too heavy on the product promo side of things no more than other type shows anyway. As far as showing you what they were useing etc you got a good enough view of the sp's they were useing to get an idea also a bit hard in 22 min actual showtime to explain the sp's as well as all the other info they were trying to fit in, did have a little laugh though at the huffing and puffing they were doing in extracting the fish from the structure use 8lb fireline on most of my Bream but have never had to overact that much to pull one out of some pretty knarly areas, love to see them pulling a Faust Barra out of the sticks they all would be heading for the oxy viva all in all though good entertainment value.

Regards,

THE BOMBER

Touchy - R.I.P.
06-01-2004, 09:25 AM
Hey Bomber,For a moment there in the distance on the show I thought it looked like you instead of Tim Morgan(but on the closeup I could see Tim had a neck ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D)I enjoyed the show but thought it didn't need the edge of the seat excitement of the comentator :P,When are you & Prof.Forest going to show us mortals all your video footage of the catches you got from that Faust trip.Cheers From The "Going Into Hiding Now"Fella.Cheers T.><>.

Big_Muddie
06-01-2004, 02:01 PM
I too enjoyed the show - and I agree with Touchy, the commentary was a bit over the top for what was happening. #But that aside, it was good value.

Sean
06-01-2004, 04:39 PM
I thought it was good too, the commentary was 2nd (or even 3rd) rate but it is good to see even the pros have shit days, I think you will find when they start going to a few other places the fishing might hot up, all the cutting made it seem like a much better day than I think it really was. Do bream go off the bite a bit with the wind as it was, I have found when fishing near the surface they go off the bite when the wind ripples the water too much, and was the young guy the fella who works in the tackle shop in Southport? All in all but I really enjoyed the show and look forward to the next 4, I thought it was relatively easy to see the lures and techniqes they were using. I reckon Big darryl eastlake could spice it up a bit though!!! :)

BOMBER
06-01-2004, 04:41 PM
Hey Touchy You Old fart,

Great to see you still have it inya you Flathead King you, mate the editing is coming along well and we hope to have it all finished within the next month fingers crossed, we just have a bit of studio work to finish and then we are away, don't worry mate will give you a sneak preview, talk to you soon and hope to catch up for a fish as well.

Regards,

THE BOMBER.

PS

Am a little insulted about the Tim thing always felt I looked a lot like Tom Cruise only Taller.

Wayne
06-01-2004, 06:16 PM
I found the show entertaining (cause I laughed so much) and it is a very good marketing avenue. However calling these guys champion bream anglers to boost their egos and profile is a joke and an insult to many very good true bream anglers South Queensland has produced. Give a good angler a few yabbies and about 30 minutes.. 5 bream...game over. I gotta admit though I am keen to watch next time.

gif
07-01-2004, 03:49 AM
It seems to me there are some strange comments being made here – and they are all based on some sort of fisherman’s intolerance of others.

Fish are not just fish # #there are several species.

Fishermen are not just fisherman there are several species. # # ALL the species have a place. #

Fishermanus XXXX # This species is an ambusher. # He sits in one spot, occasionally checking the bait. # Given his relatively low catch rate he maintains and even expands body weight by consuming large quantities of liquids while fishing. # #The public believe that this is the most common species, but numbers have been reduced. # Cannot understand what all the fuss is about.

Fishermanus bagfullus: # This insatiable species catches and kills more than its fill. # A skilled and respected hunter this species will catch huge amounts of fish using local knowledge, skilled techniques and dead or live fish as a bait. # #Previous generations may be partially responsible for falling fish stock levels, yet a few still remain oblivious to its results. #High levels of knowledge of several locations and species, but usually only specific knowledge of one area. # # Highly territorial, this species will keep their catch sites a secret, except amongst the closest friends #( fellow hunters). #Cannot understand how a good hunter can be measured by anything other than quantity of catch

Fishermanus plasticus: # This species, in its mature form, travels across the country seeking its own kind to fish together. #However, when closely observed this species does not fish in partnership but in competition. # Scientists now believe that they congregate to display their colours – in the form of badges, boat stickers and branded merchandise. #Apart from this strange behaviour, they are believed to be the most skilled hunters of all, but limit themselves to particular species, hours, plastic baits, and equipment to add a degree of difficulty. #Cannot understand why making it easy to catch fish does not destroy the challenge.

In defence of Fishermanus Plasticus: #Tim Morgan, the current leader has been fishing since a teenager. #And when I say fishing #- he and at least 4 other champs I have met are out every weekend without fail. # Tim has hundreds of hours of experience and I have seen him outgun his very experienced non boaters on every occasion. # Saying “give me a couple of yabbies” #misses the whole point # - Bream on lures IS more difficult, and that is the sporting challenge. # #My 5 year old caught a 35cm bream on yabbies. # I have yet to catch one that big on plastics.

ALSO # - this type of fishing gets publicity and gets on TV because it has sponsors # - TV is not free just because you do not pay. # Why is that important? # The more we are in the public eye #- and seen as responsible, #the more political power we have when it comes to the crunch. # The more we can help the public believe that Fishermanus XXXX # is extinct ( bless his soul) #the more we will be taken seriously.

There WILL be more restrictions on common species in the future. # Not just obscure Cod bag limits but common species. # Restrictions have started on flathead. #WA has a Bream bag limit of 4. # # #Can you see the trend?

So whether #YOU #like this show or not, do the right thing by all of us and get as many people as possible to watch it. # Yes, it is entertainment not information. # But as we heard several Missus' liked it. #The more the public like us the better off we will be politically and thus long term.

PS #if you want information check the AFC # web site # for example Tim Morgans report

Repost from AFC web site:

Locations:
- Isolated beacon near Fisherman’s Island Bridge.
- Oil pipeline across the mouth of Boggy Creek.
- Jetty in front of Raptis Seafoods, Colmslie.

Tackle:
- Rod: Millerods 7’ BreamBuster Finesse.
- Reel: Shimano Sustain 1000
- Line: Berkley Fireline 4lb.
- Leader: Berkley Vanish 8lb.

Lures:
- Atomic 2” Shad in Grey Ghost colour rigged on a 1/16ox Gamakatsu jighead.
- Atomic 2” Fat Grub in Brown Crawdad colour on a 1/16oz Gamakatsu jighead.

Techniques:
Tim mainly caught suspended or bottom dwelling bream on sinking soft plastic lures. Casting near structure, he’d let the lure sink right to the bottom and retrieve it in a series of short, shaking jigs. Bream usually hit these retrieves as the lure is dropping back towards the bottom. You’ll see Tim jig up and feel the fish there and then set the hook.

Tim ties on a new jighead after each fish to make sure that he’s using the sharpest hooks possible.

Comments:
“I missed a few fish in the last hour, so I’m a little disappointed that I couldn’t bring in a limit on my local waters.”

“I’m looking forward to the Gold Coast … I think that we’ll all catch a lot of fish there.”

flytime
07-01-2004, 05:20 AM
0Well said Gary.Good on Steve Morgan and the team for having the ball's to try somthing different.I thought it was great for the sport of fishing.Almost made me put the fly gear away for awhile."Well almost".
LoL Steve.

craigie
07-01-2004, 02:26 PM
I too watched the show and found it enjoyable. I agree with some of the comments about the commentator but didn't think it was too over the top (if you have ever watched the 'Course' fishing comps from the UK on Fox you'll understand what I'm saying, they have a grandstand full of people applauding the capture of stinky old Carp).

Adam Royter, give yourself an upercut !!!! A dummy spit and no fish and demolition derby yet to come ;D ;D ;D. I'm sure you will redeem yourself in a later round :-/ ::) ;D

Looking forward to the rest of the series, go the Queenslanders !!!!

Hey 'Spike', why didn't they give you one of the hornets and a start in the comp ??

Cheers
Craigie.

spike2
07-01-2004, 02:45 PM
my head is way to ugly for tv ;D
l was on the water when they filmed the gold coast event it made quiet an impression when all the boats returned at once , overall l think its a great thing for the sport and can only lift its profile , all you guys enjoying the tv series should consider entering one of the up coming abt events even if its only as a non boater they are great fun and you learn heaps

cheers spike

Render
07-01-2004, 04:35 PM
Lure fishing for bream is a busy activity, and i prefer to leave the hardwork to the bigger species ;D but by spending big you can get some enjoyment out of fishing that way, you soon realise a lighter rod reel etc will make casting a tiny lure easy, and then of course you need a fireline to work its magic, that suits the retail maket and by the looks of it they are laughing all the way to the bank, the unfortunate fact imo is spending lots of money will make you a better bream on lures fisher.

2 words...

Howard. Tax.

Mea casa provanis.

R

Mattman
07-01-2004, 05:06 PM
Hi fellas

I thought the show was fine, but i do think if it went for an hour it would be even better. I hope that they do a similar comp but with bass instead.

Cheers, Matt

Sean
07-01-2004, 05:49 PM
By the way, does anyone want to buy a virtually brand new king sized ensemble bed, bought it for $2000 and met my now wife, of course we have had to sleep on hers so have barely used it, 'sleepmaker miracoil' have 1st baby coming soon so have to clear it out!! :'( :'( Virtually brand new, really comfortable only $700 ono

Sean
17-01-2004, 12:13 PM
So, what did everyone think of series 2?

Nugget
17-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Having some behind the scenes knowledge of what happened down there, I was a little disappointed "Royter the wrecker" incident didn't make it on the Show.

I haven't found the commentary too over the top.
I'm still a little confused at the 'he caught this fish earlier" editing style.

I keep thinking that this style of fishing show is new to Oz and as such is interesting because it is different and we can relate to it as compared to USA shows of a similar style catching fish we have never seen.
I'm not sure of the longlivity [sic] of a show or series of this type - maybe the answer is State of Origin series, good guy / bag guy matches etc etc...
Hey that sounds familiar...

Dave ><>

WHITTO
17-01-2004, 02:53 PM
::) ::)G'Day All, I could get blown out of the water for this comment,We are only about 30yrs behind America with this concept with the prize money of I believe $30000.00 is a bit ordinary,the yanks wouldn't hitch their boats up for that. What I would like to see is a couple of wild cards getting a go like Mr ordinary joe down the road now that what make interesting fishing,that would make the so called guns really try,anyhow having said that I do watch it I just think the could have done it better, Cheers and good fishing 2 u all Whitto ::) ::)

bungie
17-01-2004, 05:10 PM
keep missing the show. Anybody know if they have hidden the repeats some where in the wee dark hrs ??

jeffo
18-01-2004, 01:53 AM
in regards to your post spike...what are all the requirements to fish the ABT?? is there a section for "shit boats and people who dont have a clue"? ;D then im in with a chance.

clutter
18-01-2004, 05:48 AM
Jeffo,
Not all the people fishing the ABT comps have outfits like you see on the AFC show. There are plenty of clunkers getting around but all boats have to meet certain minimum requirements e.g. minimum length of 3.9m (think that is the size), must be able to plane (or is it plain?) with 2 people and all the gear (usually regarded as 25hp), motor must have a deadman lanyard, must have an insulated live well of 60 Litre capacity. There are a few more regs but that's the basics.

You don't have to go as a boater. I fish as a non-boater and will look to be a boater next year hopefully. Its a good way to learn a few things if you are new to it nad the only way some people can fish if they can't afford a boat. Give it a go if you get a chance but it's not for everyone (like most things).

Whitto,
How would you make it better? I think for a first up effort, the amount of sponsorship they have gotten together is excellent. Don't forget, we are not the US and don't have the population to support the big bucks like they do. Not sure what the population of the US is but would be pretty sure they would have more anglers over there than we have people in total population over here.

You could always have a go a getting a show of the ground yourself to suit your needs.

Cheers, Clutter

spike2
18-01-2004, 06:13 AM
actually jeffo they do have one or two comps very year where they relax the rules on the type of boat you need it is a freindlier format designed to give new comers a chance to try out the comp scene , the night before they usually have demonstrations and talks from the leading bream guys , last year the freindly was held at caloundra ,

the usa has somthing like 20 million registered bass members , each event they are fishing for a million dollars , the top guys use helicopters the day before to locate fish :o
we just dont have the population to reach that level butl hope the tv series lifts the interest in bream comps and that in turn improoves the professionalism of the sport

cheers

WHITTO
18-01-2004, 08:47 AM
G'Day Clutter, Seems my COMMENT was a bit close to home,mate I don't have a need I only had a comment,why the hell would I want to cause myself that sort of grief,as I said I watch the series a wild card or two would make things interesting certainly for the Guns,Good Fishin 2 ya Clutter Cheers Whitto.

spike2
19-01-2004, 09:54 AM
plastic boys pulled some big bream in round three

jeffo
19-01-2004, 10:04 AM
yeah some good bream today! still not liking the commentary, trying to make it sound like a close game of footy. good to see some more fishing shows on TV (apart from rex [smiley=wut.gif]).

jeffo
19-01-2004, 10:10 AM
just wondering... how do people go about getting sponsorship to fish!!!! :o it has me well and truely stumped!! or is it more a case of who you know not what you know? like having a father that owns his own buisness or something?

Zeeke
19-01-2004, 04:50 PM
its usually a case of knowing the know and having friends in the know too.. hehe.. mainly if you do well in the comps, and have your name out there, and fish well with a companys products, whats better then to sponsor you.. nobodys gonna sponsor me tho.. :( hehe, only cuz im too ugly hehe. still, ive got a few thousand assorted plastics and 8 or 9 top of the range $300 to $600 fishing rods.. oh well.. heheh.. Jeff, its all about being good at what you do

Tim

Rosso
19-01-2004, 05:37 PM
I watched the first one...

It was interesting. The best part of it was the master of plugging the soft plastics (I.E. Steve Starling) got his ass kicked something bad :P

R.

kerri
20-01-2004, 07:24 AM
i watched the third one didn't know about it till then and i enjoyed it but i like anything on fishing even cooking shows that catch their own fish to cook.anyway talking of sponsorship by using a certain brand gear what did the hogsbreath guy use?????

bungie
20-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Where was the first one on the Brisbane River ??. down stream of the city or up stream

clutter
20-01-2004, 05:57 PM
Near the warves and up towards the mouth of the river was where most fishing was done.

Clutter

Zeeke
20-01-2004, 07:34 PM
Adam "Mad Dog" Royter was sponsored by Hogsbreath Cafe, he uses Ian Miller "Millerods" Breambuster rods.. probably using Shimano Stella reel's spooled with lines like 1lb Vanish, 2lb Vanish, 4lb Fireline in Smoke, Flame and Pink and also in 6lb.. but having not watched a show.. YET! i cant tell you exactly, only know from the past

Tim

searaider
27-01-2004, 05:28 AM
Guy's
If you wondering what happened to the show Yesterday,
Channel 10 in their wisdom , thought that it would be a good idea to change the starting time from 12 to 11.30AM .

I suppose that it's my own fault for not checking the TV guide
but NOT HAPPY JAN.
[smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif]

jeffo
27-01-2004, 05:41 AM
they cleaned up yesterday.. most pros getting there 5.

Gazza
27-01-2004, 06:53 AM
Adam "Mad Dog" Royter was sponsored by Hogsbreath Cafe, he uses Ian Miller "Millerods" Breambuster rods.. probably using Shimano Stella reel's spooled with lines like 1lb Vanish, 2lb Vanish, 4lb Fireline in Smoke, Flame and Pink and also in 6lb.. but having not watched a show.. YET! i cant tell you exactly, only know from the past

Tim

Zeeke ,click on the sponsors logo [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

http://www.fishnet.com.au/afc

Gives you a little background profile of each angler ;)
works out well for a 3-way? finish at Docklands next week , gee I wish it went for an hour ;D

Regards
Gazza