PDA

View Full Version : STINGERS

SNELLY
24-01-2004, 09:26 AM
I was reading the post the other day on Cast nets and Jelly Fish and thought I better do something about carrying some vinegar in the boat ( Not that I use a cast net much).

Does it matter what type of Vinegar you have ?

Is just the nomal white OK ?

Thanks JON

Gorilla_in_Manila
24-01-2004, 09:30 AM
I find taste better with balsamic! ;D

neptune
24-01-2004, 09:56 AM
Jon, they normally use domestic or household vinegar, which is the clear cleaning vinegar, but I think any would do. It is the acetic acid in the vinegar which renders the little stinging cells(nematocysts), inactive.

SNELLY
24-01-2004, 10:04 AM
Neptune,

Thanks for that

Gorilla - Is that some sort of Exotic Phillipine Dish - Box Jelly tenticales and Balsamic ?

agnes_jack
24-01-2004, 10:14 AM
Snelly
As neptune says the domestic type is fine, And any sort will do at a pinch.(probably even the balsamic, Jeff ;D) I have been told that even cider vinegar works. The surf clubs normally have white vinegar on hand. I reckon that any body who goes near the water in tropical Australia would be well served to have a good supply in thier boat and car for emergencies, even if you dont use a cast net. Even getting in or out at the ramp could potentially cause problems, and if nothing else you may be in the right place to save someone else from a lot of grief.

Regards Tony ;)

Gorilla_in_Manila
24-01-2004, 11:22 AM
snelly,
Half the time I don't know what I am eating. ;)
But "Fear is Not a Factor!" ;D
Cheers
Jeff

SNELLY
28-01-2004, 07:31 AM
Hey Jeff,

As the saying goes if it doesn't kill ya it can only make ya stronger

Cheers JON