PDA

View Full Version : start a competition for kids

merv
31-01-2004, 07:15 AM
STEVE (AUSFISH)is there any way that some sort of a competition can be started for the young fishos,to get them started.good prizes could be ausfish stickers,even some of us members might have a spot on the boat for a days fishing .perhaps someone might come on board to donate a monthly prize.any ideas [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

imported_admin
31-01-2004, 07:31 AM
Merv

It has been thought about many times. It is a great idea and I would love to be able to get behind anything that helps promote fishing to anyone, especially the future anglers.

Sadly due to the scum of the world (Rock Spiders) I keep running into problems with comps for minors, posting pics, child protection laws etc, etc. when discussing a catch of the month photo comp or anything similar.

Have been looking into a drawing/colour in style of comp, this seems to be one of the safe options as I can post up a scan of the pic and say that the winner is T Smith of Brisbane.

If any members have any suggestions I would be more than happy to hear them.

agnes_jack
31-01-2004, 07:39 AM
Good idea Merv
If it can be organised I would certainly do what I can to help out with prizes.

Regards, Tony

Brissyguy
31-01-2004, 07:53 AM
I'm behind it !!!

Kids are the future of Rec fishing and we should all do something to promote the ethics of Rec fishing.
Steve maybe we could organise something "Unofficial"
Maybe a members barbecue on the beach at Bribie or something.
Maybe to avoid the associated problems you mentioned it could be promoted as "take a kid fishing" so there are adults/parents present with each kid/s.

Mrs Brissy and I dont have any smaller kids at home but would be willing to help out anyway we can.
;D <<~~~~~ Excellent Barbie chef.
Maybe charge small entrance fee to pay for the barbecue ???

Maybe someone could organise a celeb to pass out prizes etc (Brownie, Nugget etc)
I'm sure the local media will support it and we may even be able to get the local radio station at Caboolture to do a live outdoor broadcast.

Come on members, lets get behind this.

Tony has offered to help out with prizes, I am willing to canvas the local B&T stores and I am sure Peter from Caboolture "All Round Angler" will help out as well.

Cheers,
Brissy.

FreshwaterFisher
31-01-2004, 02:59 PM
i think it would be better if you did something over the net or so as people are wide spread and wouldnt be able to get there.
Maybe a article writing contest where the winner or so gets there article on the front page and prize's i would be in that i love fishing ever since i was 6.
My dad does it hes dad does it my mums dad does it brother does it so it runs in the family.
Thanks

merv
31-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Hi Steve
Have you given any thought to setting aside a chat site for kids with a monthly prize for the best story or pic and they could chat with others in their age group - I think we should be able to get some backing with regards prizes (line, sinkers etc tackle).
I would be happy to approach my local marine dealer and tackle shop.

In regards to taking a child on a boat for the day - maybe a bbq to get to know the parents one weekend and then the next take a parent and child out for the day on a boat in our own area or as group of fisherpersons together.

Gorilla_in_Manila
31-01-2004, 04:03 PM
In these days of public liability, insurances, etc and those legal concerns Steve mentioned, I would think it is really a mamoth effort, expensive and a legal snarl to organise something like this. All the good will in the world isn't going to stop you going to court or jail if someone's little johnny runs amok and then slips on a rock cracking his skull or gets a sinker or hook in the eye.
But there must be other organisations that tackle these problems and have the required insurance cover etc already ie scout groups, schools, possibly fishing clubs, possibly apex or rotary clubs etc.
I was thinking it might be easier to start off with helping out a school excursion, a scout activity camp, or offering an add on feature to a council arranged fete or apex rotary sponsored event, or something like that.
You might have to ditch putting photos or details up on the web. And instead of prizes why not give everyone a sticker and lure or something for attending, but try to put togther a dozen or more sets of starter rods and reels that the kids can use for a day of casting instruction, or knot tying, or SP tweeking, or lure making etc. Think you will get a lot more turning up if they don't have to nag their parents into buying them an outfit before hand.
End of the day, the important thing is to give them a chance to have a go, a interesting day out and to develop an interest in fishing. Not so important in my book to pick out one kid to walk off grinning from ear to ear with an arm full of loot. I think their bragging rights at school the next day will be a good reward anyway. The other problem with prises for best photo etc it the parent factor ie, you start getting pictures of 1 year olds supposedly landing 50lb jewies etc ::)
Anyway, just a thought coz I think the insurance bit is going to piss on the parade a bit unless you can get around it by coming under the cover of existing policies.
Cheers
Jeff

agnes_jack
01-02-2004, 04:11 AM
In light of all these insurance probs etc, I think Steve is probably on the right track with a coloring comp or similar. Perhaps a story acompanied by a picture describing the event or something along those lines may be the way to go. This would avoid any insurance issues. Another thought may be a photo of the fish beside a ruler only. Its a terrible thought that it has come to the point where encouragement for kids is so hard to achieve because of deviats and insurance problems. There was a time when it was thought to be a great thing to organise activities for kids to help them develop skills and hobbies. What has this world come to! But anyway, if we can get an idea together I am 100% sure that getting prize donations will be the least of the hurdles.

Regards, Tony :D

imported_admin
01-02-2004, 05:33 AM
Prizes are not a problem could soon organise something in a matter of days, have plenty of stuff here with stickers caps, reels, lures, etc. Thanks Tony for your offer already and I am sure there would be other members that would help out if needed.

It is a sad world we live in now as it is difficult to organise anything that involves children. I would like to organise some days where we could introduce kids to fishing.
I looked into doing some fishing clinics over the school holidays but the mess you get into with insurance, having to care for children under 16, etc is a nightmare. The days where you can simply do something for kids to encourage them to get into a recreation are gone.

Merv, setting up a chat board for kids has been requested and looked at before. It would take about 2 minutes to set it up. The problem is it is too difficult to keep the deviats of the world out. It is far better for under age people to join in with the rest of the memebrs and not disclose their age or any other details. Beside, their is a wealth of knowledge for them throughout the chat boards already and it would save doubleing up on questions and answers.

FreshwaterFisher
01-02-2004, 06:20 AM
how about the article writing comp maybe have a winner every fortnight or month and you could get the article published in a magazine or something and give them a copy for a prize plus other prizes for 2nd and 3rd

gif
01-02-2004, 11:51 AM
Kids Fishing is one of my main " goals" to promote. Ask Nugget - its the first thing I try to get him to mention

But the competition track is not my favourite. Competitions reward experts, and those with easy access to water or boats.

Participation - not competition is the way to go. Isnt that we want lots and lots and lots of kids to consider fishing one of the things they like to do?

I am all for encouraging those few who will win competitions - but my goal is to get hundreds involved.

So seeing the competotion track is getting bogged - how about this thread changing direction and consider increasing Kids involvement?

Gary

agnes_jack
01-02-2004, 11:56 AM
Sounds better Gary :D
Lay some ideas on us

Regards Tony

Gorilla_in_Manila
01-02-2004, 12:36 PM
So seeing the competotion track is getting bogged #- how about this thread changing direction and consider increasing Kids involvement?

Gary

Change direction? Thought this was I mentioned in my earlier post.

Anyway, don't know if it is still done, but I was lucky enough to do fishing as a primary school sport when i was a kid. Had a mad keen fisho teacher who managed to convince the powers that be. Not sure how long it lasted, think I only ever did it one term, but that may have just been because it was only available to the grade that that particular teacher was teaching. It was great strolling off to the beach every wednesday afternoon and throwing a line in (just handlines). If the weather was crappy, we would just sit around tying knots or having different reels shown to us, or different fish species explained to us, etc.

This would certainly get you around all the insurance problems, but I'm not sure if the school system would see it as a valid PE type activity. Does anyone know of a school that offers it as a sport?

That way you won't need to hand out prizes, but I'm sure the school could use a hand buying some gear. Teacher could then officially invite a fisho along to explain casting, or knot tying, etc etc.

The only aussie fishing mag I can find over here is fishing world which I happened to find and buy Feb issue last night. Funnily enough, February's editorial is about kids and fish. Mentions a fishing survey of kids carried out around Brisbane by The Queensland Industry of Recreational Fishing. It says this is a state based industry body and I was thinking they might have the ability and funding to organise insurances etc for kids fishing days.

Cheers
Jeff

FreshwaterFisher
02-02-2004, 03:45 AM
Our school has Sports & leisure so you go fishing in that and also you go fishing in outdoor ed.

merv
02-02-2004, 04:21 AM
My daughter attended CLONTARF HIGH she had fishing for sports and leisure, they still take the kids fishing down to the Hornibrook Bridge one of the teachers goes with them,perhaps we might be able to approach the schools, hand out some stickers,fish charts ,give a talk offer some advise,tips or help in some way [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

FreshwaterFisher
02-02-2004, 06:08 AM
i think that maybe you should do that and have online competitions for kids aswell because by all means your not going to be able to go to all schools.
Also it will bring in more junior members to the site and make this a bigger community.