PDA

View Full Version : Overboard

Gorilla_in_Manila
01-02-2004, 08:52 AM
Unfortunately, sounds like not everyone managed to avoid the storms.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/australia/nsw/northcoast/200401/s1035426.htm

DaneCross
01-02-2004, 08:56 AM
Geez, Moreton Bay to Northern NSW is a long way to go and still be alive :o I hope they do find him alive.

searaider
01-02-2004, 04:38 PM
The ABC Info wasn't quite correct ,
It was a steel trawler dragging his nets on the outside / Eastern side & about 1/3 of the way down Moreton Island .
I'm not sure if they were in 100 Ft or Meters of water when their nets hooked on the bottom & just about instantly dragged the boat under .
It was reported that the 2 on board , The captain & deckie were both at the back of the boat when she went down .

They found the captain something like 10 hours later & 30 to 40 Kilometers south of were the boat went down & down past the tip of Nth Stradbroke Island .
He was lucky and was picked up by another trawler.
The Captain said the boat went down that quick that they didn't have time to get to the lifejackets or E-PERB .
He also that he haden't seen the deckie after the boat went down .

So far they still haven't found him.

The sinking had nothing to do with the storms , but boy I wouldn't have wanted to be out in the bay when we got hit by the storm yesterday afternoon .The wind meter at the Banna Banks in the southern end of the Moreton Bay regestered winds up to 120 kilometers an hour , trees & powerlines down everywere .
There were over 100,000 houses blacked out , there was still 40,000 without power at lunchtime today .

Telstra are getting additional staff from New South Wales to help carryout repairs .

Peter
Searaider 2

GES
01-02-2004, 07:14 PM
I happened to be on the road in the Redlands area yesterday when the big storm hit. Whenever I pulled up for traffic at intersections ...I kid you not.. I had to put my foot on the brake to stop the wind shoving me into the car in front. Bloody scary with tree branches flying everywhere and couldn't hardly see the road in front of me for most of the time. I haven't seen rain and wind like that for a long time.

GES

PinHead
02-02-2004, 02:28 AM
A typical summer storm...they always create some mayhem and damage

bobp
02-02-2004, 02:25 PM
if any one nows where the wreck of the buldog is then u will know where this trawler is now at rest as this is the area where the trawlers nets got snaged