PDA

View Full Version : HELP - where r the fish

Jcarlini
31-01-2004, 11:50 AM
HI there
Hubby and I have just bought a boat and have tried fishing in the Gold Coast broadwater, with no luck.

Can any one tell me when to head out and where to catch some fish - any fish!!!!

Have had more luck with crabbing, we have encounted pot and crab thieves in the Coomera River. We havent had a feed yet, as only Jenny's climb into our pots and everything else is stolen (including pot)!

jo

CHRIS_aka_GWH
31-01-2004, 02:18 PM
jo,

don't know what size boat you have but assuming its a tinnie take a map and find Crab Island. Get some yabbies & some worms (sand worms but mud worms will do), on light line with a size 6 hooks, tiny sinkers & a metre long trace drift the flats around Crab Island. First thing in the morning is best while the sun is still below the horizon.

that's as good as it gets on your first post kiddo ;) but if you can't catch a bream, whiting or flathead there ??? perhaps your boat might make an attractive planter box at the front of your house.

seeyainthesurf,

chris

Jeremy
03-02-2004, 03:04 AM
There is alot to learn when you have just bought your first boat - boating as well as fishing wise. It is a steep learning curve and some mistakes can be costly!

If you are keen, my suggestion is to join a local fishing club. Also read reports of what fish are where in your local paper or magazines such as Bush'N'Beach. Another suggestion is to charter Brad Smith for a trip. His boat is great but I think he will even go in your boat. He will put you onto plenty of fish, and that way you will know exactly how and where to go do it again. I think you can contact Brad Smith through Currumbin Bait and Tackle shop.

Good luck,

Jeremy

Jcarlini
03-02-2004, 04:25 AM
Thanx for the advice, will try crab island next week. We launched off Jacobs Well @ 6am on Sunday and with some live bait, we were able to catch quite a few Bream, Whiting and Butter fish (small, but legal) [smiley=laola.gif].
There is still hope for the boat to be out on the water rather than planter box.
cheers