PDA

View Full Version : hows the fishing in your area?

basserman
31-01-2004, 06:09 AM
i know in my area Port Macquarie i can't say the fishing is too bad
I'm still able to go out and select the target and just fish for that and anything else just goes back

but i have heard on some fishing programes how some people now target mowong (what i still think is the mother in law fish)

but i may be spoilt in beeing able to fish for pearl perch, pigfish, snapper, jews or a number of other or just have fun with the kings or in the river with bass, bream or flathead

kerri
31-01-2004, 06:35 AM
i live inland and with the drought i believe the fish numbers have dropped. with little water around the ones that survive are more concentrated in smaller amounts of water and it seems like the fishing is better but no way if you look at the overall big picture.in the smaller dams and river systems there are quite a few people taking advantage of the concentration of fish which i think is realy wrong.

TimNQ
31-01-2004, 08:34 AM
I see nothing wrong with fishing dams and rivers with low water levels. Noone can help the drought, except mother nature so why not take advantage of the shit load of fish in one small area.

basserman
31-01-2004, 10:08 AM
i agree with ya to some extent tim after all too many fish in too small of a area is a bad thing it self and most would die any way
but the local fishing clubs should also try to relocate some of the fish for when the drought fanlaly breaks and you need the breading stock back

basserman
31-01-2004, 12:12 PM
come on people let us know what you mean by what fish!
i'm sure other are wondering what it is like in the old day compared to now

adrian
01-02-2004, 08:02 AM
i did go out and get a feed ( 3 or 4 fish ) 2 yrs back but now it's cheaper to buy them than go and get them the old saying 50 ltrs of fuel $20 on bait out all day lucky we got only 1 small one isn't it

mackmauler
01-02-2004, 08:19 AM
like the last choice ;D far from it here unfortunately.

basserman
01-02-2004, 04:11 PM
yeh not likey here ether mack but i do hear there are some parts of oz that are like it sure its a 10 hour flight 5 hour drive in the back of a clapped out ute 2 day walk and a swim in croc ifested waters to get there but its there! ;D

TimNQ
01-02-2004, 04:19 PM
Haha youd be surprised basser
We often travel anywhere from 20 km to 400km from townsville and almost all places are wall to wall fish. Mainley fresh water. Even when we go out offshore from townsville we usually get runs non stop. I put alot of that down to fishing mate kiel, he knows his shit when it comes to finding the goods.
Only advice i have for you brissy boys... move up north ;D
Townsville is good and central with all types of fishing within a few hours driving.
Tim

TimNQ
01-02-2004, 04:21 PM
Or get an offroad moter bike and relocate to weipa ;D

shag_on_a_rock
03-02-2004, 05:40 AM
Ahhh Weipa...

Spent a couple of years there in the 80's. Great fishing spot but the flat headed dogs did get frisky once or twice :'(

Mind you I also spent some time up in the Kimberley and it's pretty good too....

Not quite as good as the northern Indian Oceans coastline though :-X Fish are generally bigger, more plentiful, less fishermen and far less regulations.
The locals do decry the current situation, saying the fishing has gone to worms over the past 20 years, so God only knows what this place was like then!! 8)

basserman
03-02-2004, 05:45 AM
yeh makes me wonder to all the old felles say the fishing is dead compared to 20 years ago
makes you wonder what they sayed 20 years ago or what we will say in 20 years time! :D

col_aus
03-02-2004, 07:14 AM
I am down on the south coast of nsw and ive honastly got to say i belive it has improved here over the last few years.i can fish pretty much any day nad get a feed and usually what i go out to catch.
Though some fish speicies have definatly dropped off .we used to get blue fish down here during a rough sea but havnt seen one of those for a few years now and the long tom population have gone to ???.but on the other hand the king fish are starting to come back now the traps have been removed and are starting to get some off the rocks again to ,been a few years since thats happened.lake illawarra is also on the improve now the enterance is open but its only just open and needs attention asap or it will die again.
all in all though i rekon its pretty good at the moment so hopefully everyone will do the rite thing and it will only get better
cheers col

blaze
03-02-2004, 03:02 PM
hi all
descibe my local area today to a retired couple that relocated from NSW as a little bit of paradise, they disagreed, and said it was all paradise could offer. 15 years ago my local estuary had a large vegtable processing plant on the shore as well as the local refuse station and huge mullet. These days we have oyster leases, silver trevally, australian salmon, meter + flathead, gummy shark, the very occassional snapper, elephant fish, tailor and many more species. where once you seen mud it is slowly returning to sand. yes, cleaner and more fish with most people only taking a feed and not being greedy. there is a total netting ban inside the estuary and we are trying to close netting at the moment covering an area up to 5 km around the north west tip of tassie and make it rec only. and we dont need to many more people to relocate, they seem to be moving down at an alarming rate
cheers from my little bit of paradise
blaze

imnotoriginal
03-02-2004, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't know, it's been that long since I had the chance to try
Joel