PDA

View Full Version : bay conditions

MICHAELG
03-02-2004, 04:07 AM
Just trying to get a better understanding on weather effects in the the bay.
The last couple of times i have been out (4am) the bay has been sloppy and bits of swell mixed in, even tho only slight land breeze as sun comes up. Now the bit i dont no why is, the bay glasses off mid mornings, why not calm earlier when there is no wind so to speak during the nite.
Can somebody help

Gibbo

aquarius
03-02-2004, 04:23 AM
Machael G always expect the unexpeted on the bay.....as you have just said the bay can change in the blink of an eye.
Yesterday morning it was a light w/s/w breeze and around 9-30am a 15 knot n/w wind kicked in with some gusts to 20 knots.....Normally get swell conditions from the north winds.
I know this doesn't really answer your question but in my mind the bay is like a lottery......SOME TIMES YOU ARE LUCKY AND OTHER TIMES YOUR NOT..LOL
Hey even the BOM get the forecast wrong at times.
Cheers Brent :)

MICHAELG
03-02-2004, 04:32 AM
Brent
Your not wrong about BOM. When I came into the leads Bris river yesterday, it was like somebody turned the fan on, but nothing at the measured Mile. They are some nice fish, I might have follow you around next time. never had much sucess at wello. Tell me does it fire better mornings or nite
I'm getting depressed, dont seem to be able to blood me new boat
Gibbo

DaneCross
03-02-2004, 05:07 AM
I think you'll find on some days that the w/sw breeze land breeze is counteracted by the ne sea breeze that starts to come into effect as the day heats up therefore making conditions glassy i.e. no wind at all.
Tide also has an effect on the amount of chop on the water. Often you can head out when its 'wind against tide' and the bay will be lumpy as all hell, then a few hours later when the tide changes and runs the other way i.e. wind and tide running in the same direction, it flattens out.
They're my theories anyway,
DC

Brissyguy
03-02-2004, 05:32 AM
Have to agree with DC here.

We have quite often shot over to Moreton in near glass conditions just on light then around 9am or so a morning breeze kicks in.
Other times we have had to punch through some serious slop until the tide has changed to leave near perfect conditions.

The bay does fire up in different wind/tide situations but we have never not been able to get home safely.

Cheers,
Rich.

JB
03-02-2004, 12:35 PM
hahahahah, hows the f#!kin weather man DC, hahahah good on ya ray wilke #:P #;D

The rest of us are sittin here goin "ok professor" ;)

DaneCross
03-02-2004, 01:09 PM
Ahh JB, thanks to my supreme weather predicting skills, we have enjoyed many a safe and comfortable fishing trip... hahaha... the only reason we get smashed on the way home from every trip is due to your manic insistance to stay for "just one more cast"... YOU, my friend are the reason for my bruised arse... lol, that doesn't sound too good does it [smiley=whip.gif]
DC

Sportfish_5
03-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Here is a couple of pics from last Sunday. Top pic is around 6.00am @ Hutchinsons and the second pic is at Deep Tempest @ around 10:30am. Glassed out until around 1:30pm. Nicest day I have had out there for a while. I always prick the ears up when I hear light/moderate W/SW turning N/NE as DC and Aquarius mentioned.
Cheers
Greg ;)

MICHAELG
04-02-2004, 04:27 AM
Thanks guys

every bit of info help's

Michael

basserman
04-02-2004, 06:01 AM
nice pics of the water mate but your spossed to take them of fish! ;)

Brissyguy
04-02-2004, 08:29 AM
YOU, my friend are the reason for my bruised arse... lol, that doesn't sound too good does it
DC

Ummmmm starting to worry about you two !!!

SNAFU
07-02-2004, 10:57 AM
have almost always found pre-dawn from manly going to wello/hybers i get it over starbord (s/w wind) side + run in tide cursing this damn tinny especialy in winter but i know the day will almost always come good after 1-2 hrs daylight and if stern faceing wello jetty after it calmes down look for bird action.it usualy means the local mackeral are doing their rounds.ie have floating pilly or hardyhead out with berley.they always come from cleaveland up to mud and back.though havenot seen them for a while.hope they havent been netted to death.

straddie
07-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Heya Michael temperature and pressure are the two main drivers of wind. This time of year you are looking at a water temp around 26C, night time when the temperature cools over the land you will start to get a little bit of slop which should peek around the coolest part of the morning eg 4-5am then balance out as the land starts to heat up. Once the land gets hotter the breeze should run the opposite way. This is if there are no other influences from highs or lows.

Some other things that I have noticed, don't ask me why they happen. Northerlies around the full moon usually come through at about twice the forcast. A visible haze over Redland Bay in the morning is usually a good sign of a SEaster coming through. Big white clouds in the SW that keep going up and up in the arvo usually mean it's time to go home no matter how many fish you are catching. ;D

Theres lots more you just have to look for them.