PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone on it's way (gulp)

NQCairns
10-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Hi all it's on the way - going to land between Cooktown and Townsville, category 1 or 2 and before friday, get your stuff safe n sound. Got some wind from it already, Woohoo should be good, [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]cheers nq

TimNQ
10-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Not good for cardwell M&G [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=behead.gif] [smiley=end.gif]

Gorilla_in_Manila
10-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Just a fresh breeze at this stage. ;D
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20008.txt

NQCairns
10-02-2004, 02:25 PM
Tim How long do they usually last? this one will be a fast traveler they say could be all fine by then?? What do you recon?

Gorilla the bom is a conservative bunch it seems, not a mention from the talking weather heads tonight, 2 out of 3 predictions world wide now say it should spin up, should be good experience I am a cyclone virgin :o so looking forward to it, I have heard a cyclone might even improve the fishing (afterwards that is).

Gorilla_in_Manila
10-02-2004, 02:52 PM
I have heard a cyclone might even improve the fishing (afterwards that is).

Thats assuming you still have your boat, your shed, your roof on your house etc etc.

Make sure you got the camera handy.

Good Luck. You will remember the first one for the rest of your life ... hope she is gentle with you. ;D
Has she got a name yet? I'm going to die laughing if its called gretta.
;D ;D ;D
Cheers
Jeff

PinHead
10-02-2004, 04:21 PM
"a cyclone virgin"...if you get to experience one like Althea or Tracy I bet you would wish to have stayed a virgin.

Daintreeboy
10-02-2004, 04:22 PM
Why are cyclones like women?
Well it all starts of well, nice and calm, then you get some blowing ;D but you end up losing your house your car..... :-X

cHiCo
10-02-2004, 05:53 PM
not much to worry about if its only 1 or 2. Tracy was another story mate as Pinhead pointed out.Wont be too much more than a few gusts and a few tree branches flying around the shop.

TimNQ
10-02-2004, 05:54 PM
"Why are cyclones like women?
Well it all starts of well, nice and calm, then you get some blowing but you end up losing your house your car..... "

Hahaha nice ;D

Yea nq im a virgin also, i was in a small one when in #school north of cairns about 8 years ago but not big enough to brag, i could manage to walk through the wind in this one, only just though. So hopeing for a bit more strong wind action and a few cows flying past the window and maybe a house with dorothy flying past. #;D Im really not sure how long they usually last but i thought it would be fairly rough for a while after but who knows, maybe its for the best.
Tim

NQCairns
10-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Ha Ha, funny buggers ;D ;D ;D ;D

SNELLY
11-02-2004, 04:08 AM
Lets hope it gets over and done with this week. Then clear until to 21st & 22nd - Could be good but the amount of rain afterwards will be the telling point

Mark - LMAO - Good one

Daintreeboy
11-02-2004, 06:14 AM
North Tropical Waters
Cooktown to Cardwell
Tuesday until midnight: SE/NE winds 15 knots. Seas to 1.5 metres outside the
reef. Seas to 1.0 metres inside. Scattered showers and thunderstorms with
squalls.
Wednesday: Computer models indicate a Tropical Cyclone possibly approaching the
area. Therefore, S/SE winds 15/20 knots increasing to 30/40 knots by end of the
day. Seas rising to 3.5 metres outside the reef on an increasing NE swell. Seas
to 2.0 metres inside. Rain and thunderstorms with squalls.
Thursday: Clockwise winds probably greater than 40 knots.
Friday: NW/NE winds gradually easing to 20/30 knots.

Gotta love that forecast "therefore" ;D.
Love the clockwise winds bit too and the ending is funny also. EASING to 20/30 knots ;D
Who's up for a spot of fishing?

Gorilla_in_Manila
11-02-2004, 06:30 AM
Daintreeboy,
The clockwise bit is becasue its a southern hemisphere low. They are anticlockwise up here. Should help you work out which way the wind is going to be coming from as long as you know where the eye is.
Good luck, don't forget some pics.
Cheers
jeff

whiteman
11-02-2004, 07:48 AM
Start cutting down all the coconuts from nearby palms before they're driven through the side of your house at 100 knots! Go and buy all the batteries and bottles of drinking water you can lay your hands on! Sharpen your chainsaw so you can quickly cut away large branches that tear through your bedroom roof! But above all DON'T PANIC!!!

Best web site to track this sort of things is http://www.tropicalstormrisk.com/

TimNQ
11-02-2004, 08:54 AM
What if we dont have a chainsaw :-X ::) ::) ;D

agnes_jack
11-02-2004, 08:59 AM
Tim
Sleep in the lounge! ;D ;D ;D

basserman
11-02-2004, 08:59 AM
then get your arms limbered up for the AXE!
nah they say when a cyclone hits up north where you are tim about a week later the fishing improves down on the NSW north coast something to do with the winds driving the warmer currents down and closer!

TimNQ
11-02-2004, 09:04 AM
Tim
Sleep in the lounge! ;D ;D ;D

Hahaha ;D ;D :P nicely done
Ive thought of another problem i have though. I dont have the cash to go and buy batterys and water :o nor do i have any coconut trees around. im screwed :o :o

TimNQ
11-02-2004, 09:05 AM
then get your arms limbered up for the AXE!
!

Hmm what if i dont have an axe ;D ;D

Yea nah sorry ill stop with the retarded jokes.

basserman
11-02-2004, 09:08 AM
doing the best thing tim! laughing
I have alot of mates in darwin (army mates)
they say your first cyclone is the worst the second is the one you worrie with and then after that the rest you just sit around and drink as it blows around!

TimNQ
11-02-2004, 09:15 AM
Yea well you cant change mother natures way of thinking, she will do what she wants. Might aswell look on the bright side and rest assured we will see some big trees bending over and touching the ground and maybe like ive mentioned before, the odd flying cow. ::)

SNELLY
11-02-2004, 09:28 AM
Lookng at the current synoptic situation looks like it will be a non event other then we are in for a heap of rain but watch out if it comes over land and then goes out again and then forms into a cyclone.

Synoptic Situation at 9:00 am EST Tuesday
A tropical low is expected to develop over the northwest Coral Sea during the
next 24 hours and move west across the coast between about Cooktown and Princess
Charlotte Bay overnight Wednesday. Lighter winds are expected near the low
centre.

cHiCo
11-02-2004, 11:46 AM
Hahahaha.we will probably only lose power for about a day or 2 at the most which is when the bbq comes in. about the only thing you have to make sure is working and full of gas. in my 15 year old life ive been through about 3 or 4 cyclones, 1 on my birthday >:( . make sure you dont venture 2 far during the eye of it or you might be in a bit of strife. gonna have to head up to oak beach for a spot of surfing. hope ya 1st one is nothing to serious.

Daintreeboy
11-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Jeff I'm not stupid I just thought it was funny ::)

Gorilla_in_Manila
11-02-2004, 01:34 PM
:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Local_Guy
11-02-2004, 05:51 PM
7pm tonight and they are calling it a catagory 1. pffft. category 1 is nothing. a cylcone isn't a cyclone until it hits category 3. i'm also a surfer and last year when we had a cat.2 cyclone we had shit all swell.... that was the one that went straight up throuch mackay. i'm at yeppoon.

it's been really depressing this year. no decent cyclones and no decent surf. seams like each year the cyclones come later and later.

NQCairns
11-02-2004, 06:41 PM
More good news ::) The long range models are forecasting the formation of a deep low off Mackay in a few days time that may spin up also :o. TC Fritz (the coral sea one) with a bit of luck might stop spin up a bit and start tracking south?? It's all happening - Almost! ;D

Local_Guy
11-02-2004, 09:25 PM
nqcairns what web sites do you use for your observations?

for your info. there's a good like on www.cqsurf.com/indexmain.htm web site under weather.

enjoy.

TimNQ
12-02-2004, 02:55 AM
Ok just looked at bom and i really dont think it will happen. there isnt a mention of a cyclone other than a warning between kurrumba and NT border. I think we miss out NQcairns. This drissly crapwhether could hold up for a while though, hopefully all fine again by next friday.

NQCairns
12-02-2004, 04:58 AM
Thanks Local, that is a easy site to check for weather ;D.

Here are a few more about the net.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au
Great site for weather heads/gurus best info on the forums (as usual ;)).

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65004.shtml
Here is the earlier link to bom and TC Fritz tracking (I think the original link is gone)

http://weather.unisys.com/mrf/9panel/mrf_500p_9panel_aus.gif In the bottom right pic of this prediction model is the next possible cyclone, however probable?

http://www.gorgecreekorchards.com.au/StormVue.html
Good lightning tracker, when Fritz was still around it was easy to see on this tracker.

Tim, For the M&G will be just great - 27deg with variable 5 to 10 knot winds all weekend to be sure [smiley=2thumbsup.gif], The extra fresh will have brought all the pelegics in so close can catch them from the ramp ;D. At least this what I choose to believe at the moment :-X. cheers.

TimNQ
12-02-2004, 05:43 AM
Tim, For the M&G will be just great - 27deg with variable 5 to 10 knot winds all weekend to be sure [smiley=2thumbsup.gif], The extra fresh will have brought all the pelegics in so close can catch them from the ramp ;D. At least this what I choose to believe at the moment :-X. cheers.

Just hearing someone say that is putting my mind at ease a little. I will believe this also, for sanity sake.
Tim

Local_Guy
13-02-2004, 12:29 PM
looks like we might be in for some more action mid next week... lets hope this one comes further down the coast.