PDA

View Full Version : NQ M&G Cardwell... REPORT

TimNQ
11-01-2004, 04:00 AM
Cardwell has been chosen for our first M&G. As ive allready said on page 3, if your coming then put up a post so we can see what numbers there are.

krazyfisher
11-01-2004, 05:15 AM
what about bowen, whitsundays, prosserpine dam might not be many people that want to go there but hey why not ask?

TimNQ
11-01-2004, 06:41 AM
i'll add those.
Tim

krazyfisher
11-01-2004, 07:57 AM
by the way I went for t'ville as I believe it is the center of the north but would like to see it around the whitsundays another idea for later in the year is the bowen fishing classic about 17-19 of sept hows that for and idea heaps of time and a full weekend of fishing in a comp

NQCairns
12-01-2004, 04:18 AM
I went for Cardwell because it is so close to Hinch, Lucinda is also good but Balgal sounds like it would be the most easy going. Krazyfisher does the Bowen comp allow a category for boat teams? Whatever I am easy, it's all new to me. cheers Nq

spike2
12-01-2004, 09:19 AM
sounds like a great idea if , it was around easter some of us southerns might be interested , for mine the widsundays sounds good gives a little of incentive for the family to want to come along

krazyfisher
12-01-2004, 09:25 AM
once i get all the info on the bowen classic I will post it

nonibbles
12-01-2004, 11:54 AM
who says we have to have just one? Why not organise a calender of M&Gs. If we're talking about a whole NQ M&G I don't think we'll get any popular resolution as its such a wide area to draw from (Rocky to Bamaga).

webby
12-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Great place the old Bowen, free accommodation for all, and culd show you some great spots. (except krazyfisher) ;D.
Will be up there sometime before easter. Or might even postponed to the classic. Havent fished the classic for a few years. So would be worth the delayed trip.
Will be great to get back to the old home town.
regards

TimNQ
12-01-2004, 01:25 PM
. If we're talking about a whole NQ M&G I don't think we'll get any popular resolution as its such a wide area to draw from (Rocky to Bamaga).

This is why there is a poll. Most people seem to be from between townsville and cairns so most likely a place between there will be chosen. But yea we can make a calender of events, atleast if you cant make one you may be able to make the other. The bowen classic sounds like a goer, not sure what people north of townsville are going to think.
Tim

TimNQ
13-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Ok it looks as though the first m&g will be held at cardwell or close to. I done some calling around and found some prices on accomodation.

Cardwell van park
2 people powered camping site $17.50
2 people unpowered $14.50
extra adults $5 extra children $3
2 person cabin $40
extra adult$8 extra children$4
This place has the usual facilities, camp cooking. NO POOL

Meunga creek is $4 per night per person for camp sites.

Kookaburra holiday park
Im still waiting on an email with all prices but this is what ive gotten out of them.
Powered camp sites $19.50
Unpowered $18
caravan sites same price as camp sites i think.
caravan double $35
This place has a pool.

The boat ramp at cardwell is accesible at all tides and there is a tackle shop right near it. Plenty of ways and places we can fish. If the family is coming along and not interested in the fishing there is always day trips to the island and national parks such as tully gorge for a swim and picnic lunch.
If people would rather be doing something different for this then let me know but i think the majority has spoken, no matter how small it is.
When do people want to do this? Im good any time before march but after then i will be restricted to weekends ;D , its a hard life eh. Start putting down some times and we can work on it.
Tim

SNELLY
13-01-2004, 09:37 AM
Tim, Not much room at Kookaburra

Have not stayed at Cardwell Cvan park

Usually stay at Sunrise Village cost should be about the same as Cardwell Caravan park plus it has a Pool as well as Unit accomidation and cabins with heaps of room

JON

TimNQ
13-01-2004, 09:41 AM
Ok here are the prices for kookaburra

Cabins double $45
additional child $3.30 additional adult $6.60
Caravans
Double $35 additional child $3.30 additional adult $5.50
Caravans have cooking facilities desk fan and colour tv with room to sleep up to 6 people

Camp sites powered is $19.50 additional child $2.20 additional adult $5.50
unpowered $18 additional child is $2.20 additional adult is $5.50

TimNQ
13-01-2004, 09:43 AM
Ahh ok i thought kookaburra were a bit steep with prices anyway. I will try and get exact prices for sunrise village
Tim

NQCairns
13-01-2004, 01:22 PM
Sorry about the dopey questions but where is Meunga ck? What would be it's advantage? cheers Nq

TimNQ
13-01-2004, 01:26 PM
No advantages as far as i can tell. They didnt say much but i think it is just a bit cheaper to camp. But they dont have a camp kitchen, All other facilitys are provided, toilet hot water shower ect.
Tim

TimNQ
13-01-2004, 01:29 PM
I cant find this sunrise village jon, you think you could contact them for some details?
Tim

krazyfisher
13-01-2004, 03:36 PM
well I think cardwell area sounds great will keep most people happy. and maybe another at the bowen classic. and why not one inbetween some time at airlie it has a lot to offer.
Webby if you need some spots around bowen let me know someone once told be some good spots they have fished well ;D

SNELLY
14-01-2004, 10:13 AM
OK The reason Tim was unable to find Sunrise Village is that there are new owners #and the have renamed it

Cardwell Village Beachcomber

Ph. 40668 550

Unpowered sites $15- pn #for 2 adults plus $5- for extras

Powered Sites $22- pn plus $5- for extra Kids and $10- for
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #extra adults

Villas/Cottages $70- Pn for Double

Cabins with Outside amenities $50-pn double

Has a pool and plenty of room

TimNQ
14-01-2004, 10:22 AM
Sounds like a goer, So when do people want to do this? Like ive allready said i am free any time at all so someone put down a date and we will see if people like the idea.
Tim

NQCairns
14-01-2004, 11:58 AM
Looks like we just got an election W'end Feb 7 :( Anyone interested in the w'end after or even that weekend.Im easy regardless. When are we allowed to eat barra?nq

TimNQ
14-01-2004, 12:33 PM
I should be good for that weekend or the weekend after. Barra season finishes at 1200 hours 1st feb. I am pretty sure anyway.
Tim

TimNQ
15-01-2004, 05:41 PM
Ok noone nominated a date so i did. I made it that date so it would give people time to organise them selves. Can i get people who are planning on attending to post here to confirm just so we can see what numbers there is. It looks like proserpine/whitsundays is going to be the winner of the next one. I hope krazy fisher and others from down mackay way can attend this one even though it is a fair distance to travell.
Tim

krazyfisher
16-01-2004, 02:43 AM
just so happens I will be on holidays so 80% at this stage.
anyone want to come or need a lift let me know

fishsmith
16-01-2004, 03:47 AM
I will definately be there (work pending). Great to see a NQ meet and greet.Whoever fishes up that way between now and then will have to post in some fishing reports so we can hit the ground running.Especially for guy's like myself who havn't fished much around that area......I know the pieman sells good pies but......

cheers Smithy.... 8)

NQCairns
16-01-2004, 04:56 AM
Yep I should be there 90-100% cheers.

nonibbles
16-01-2004, 05:07 AM
I'll see if I can bribe someone at work to do my on-call. Fingers crossed I'll be there! [smiley=sneaky.gif]

SNELLY
16-01-2004, 05:40 AM
I'm as good as there

JON

Robbo_Townsville
22-01-2004, 06:13 AM
Count me in, always wanted to overnight there and have a fish.

fnq_tinnie
22-01-2004, 06:53 AM
hi nq count us for the meet & greet weekend

SNELLY
22-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Where should we get things started for the M&G

How about

Saturday

7-00 am #- Meet at Boat Ramp at Cardwell Marina

2-00 pm return to Ramp and go to Sunrise Village - Set up #
# # # # # # camp or check into accomadation#

3-00 pm Time for XXXX appreciation plus boat comparision
# # # # # # and discussions on all things fishing - This will #
# # # # # # allow people who may just want to come along and
# # # # # # #meet others to know where to find us.

# Not sure what is likely to happen after this

krazyfisher
22-01-2004, 05:07 PM
how far is it north of t'ville in time?

Robbo_Townsville
22-01-2004, 05:31 PM
Roughly 1hr 30min from Townsville to Cardwell

whiteman
23-01-2004, 07:08 AM
Tides for the weekend (based on Townsville). The red line denotes the 1.6m I need to get out of Rollingstone Creek.

Mundi
23-01-2004, 12:49 PM
Sounds great depending on work commitments

krazyfisher
23-01-2004, 04:26 PM
whats the go with booking accom each do your own or what I will just roll out a swag but I might go there friday night

SNELLY
24-01-2004, 04:19 AM
Krazy,

Probably best each make their own arrangements as some will not be sure until very close to the time and some may want to camp some may want a cabin etc

The Ph Number is 40668550

It's now Called Cardwell Beachcomber Village - It is located on the Northern End of Cardwell on the righthand ( Beachside) side heading north

I'm headed down there this afternoon with the family for the long weekend and the weather is looking pretty good - a bit of rain - but light winds so look out Trout and Tuna

See you there

JON

TimNQ
24-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Ah good to see a few people are coming to cardwell. Should be a fun weekend. I agree with jon everyone can just organise there own accomodation. I will most likely get there friday night to set up camp ready for the next morning. Im not sure yet but i think the misses is starting to talk me into selling the boat again, if it is sold by then does anyone have a spare spot on board for me? I can cover my share of all costs.
TimNQ

Robbo_Townsville
24-01-2004, 09:38 AM
Tim if you sell it you can grab as seat on mine.

Robbo

TimNQ
24-01-2004, 09:41 AM
Ah cheers rob, appreciate it. Will keep you posted on what happens with it.
Tim

Dr_Dan
24-01-2004, 01:09 PM
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'( :'( :'( You can't sell your boat!!!!!! Was looking forward to having a fish with ya! O well, I got room on mine for when i in Tville if you do sell it. Have to get you out for a fish.

krazyfisher
24-01-2004, 05:06 PM
well maybe as an idea anyone who is going to camp should mention that it is for an ausfish fishing weekend so that atleast the camp sites are close to each other makes it easy for a chat yes/no?

TimNQ
24-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Yea dan i know its sad but there isnt much i can do. If it were my choice i would keep it. However i may still have it for another couple months depending how long it takes to sell. We will deffinettly get out and do some fishing though whether it be 2 boats or 1. Always keen on getting on the water ;D
Krazy im not sure about this park but i think if we are camping then we can setup camp anywhere in the appointed area. I will give them a call tomorow and see if its possible to keep a section of space free for the ausfishers so we arent split up by people, im not sure of our chances but it is worth asking. ;)
I will let yous know what they say tomorow.
Tim

nonibbles
25-01-2004, 01:40 PM
I'm as good as there. #Look out for "Hot Chilli." #Possibly towing Mrs Nonibbles and Kid Nonibbles too.
Oh, I have a friend who usually comes fishing with me - He's a chef! #I hope he can make it.

Cheers!
Paul

nonibbles
25-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Funny thing - distance. When I was in Sydney 40km was too far. But in NQ not too many people shrug their shoulders at anything up to 400km! I guess its because we're in heaven up here!

NQCairns
27-01-2004, 06:30 PM
Ok Guys, anyone know for sure where we staying, or did I miss something. nq

SNELLY
28-01-2004, 05:48 AM
Stayed at Cardwell Beachcomber Village ( previously called Sunrise Village ) for the Long weekend.

At this time of the year there will be heaps of room - The park itself is quite large - Spent most time when at the park in the pool - NB No Glass in the pool area .

Fished Offshore on Sat & Sun got a few Trout and also came close to a few BIG G.T.'s on Poppers but did not connect and frankly did not want to as 6kg is well undergunned for those things that were in the 10 t0 20 Kg range - When I go back I will take a 10kg spin outfit.

The Channel was quite dirty so did not do any lure fishing but talking to a local pro he said there were plenty of Barra's around. It should be good if we do not get too much more rain for our weekend.

SNELLY

TimNQ
28-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Yea nq just look at the previous pages and you will find the number for sunrise.
Sounds like you had a top weekend jon, the whether atm is awsome eh.
Tim

SNELLY
28-01-2004, 10:08 AM
Not wrong there Tim - Basically as flat as down there on the weekend - Particularly first thing in the morning.

We have had a few weeks of this now which is a good thing if it holds till this weekend I'm heading up to the daintree and out to snapper Island again

JON

Robbo_Townsville
28-01-2004, 11:10 AM
Hey Tim, I have just booked a camp site at the Beachcomber Village for the M & G. The lady I spoke to was Maureen, she said at this stage yhey know nothing of the M & G. I advised her to have a look at the Ausfish Chat Board.

Cheers

TimNQ
28-01-2004, 11:31 AM
Cheers, yea havnt gotten round to calling them yet but locals in cardwell say the place will be quiet and will have no prob getting in. Even if we dont camp near each other im sure there will be an area where we can set up a bbq and some chairs.
Tim

NQCairns
28-01-2004, 07:04 PM
Hi all for the#[smiley=gossip.gif], FNQTINNY (Ron) and I are booked in for the Fri and Sat nights.
FYI At Beachcomber (40668550) Large motel room - $85, Small - $69, Cabin $70. We decided to slum it with aircon ;D The lady said she has booked in a number of Ausfishers so far [smiley=2thumbsup.gif].

Coral Trout Snelly! prepare to be stalked when offshore that weekend 8). Cheers nq

SNELLY
29-01-2004, 03:44 AM
Not a problem - We will see how the weather is for that weekend and see who would like to tag along for a trip to the reef - You're looking at about a 30 mile trip both ways but only the last 8 mile is open

nonibbles
29-01-2004, 07:29 AM
I'm booked at beachcomber. Powered site Sat night only. #Will try to get to Cardwell early Sat morn but as will work late Fri can't promise any particular time. #May have to meet on water. #Will know closer to time, I have GPS and mobile phone so I'm sure I'll bump into somebody as long as their willing to share their details (PM/Email me).

Paul

krazyfisher
29-01-2004, 11:11 AM
what vhf channel is the one to use up there

TimNQ
29-01-2004, 11:40 AM
Not sure bout that question krazy, dont use one. But thought id check, are you still heading up here this weekend?
Tim

krazyfisher
29-01-2004, 03:08 PM
tim this weekend has been put on hold but I am in for the M&G

krazyfisher
09-02-2004, 04:13 AM
ok getting closer how many people and boats are going?

TimNQ
09-02-2004, 05:14 AM
Ok these are the people that have said they are coming. Most have confirmed but we still need to hear from fishsmith, and mundi. Is Dr_Dan coming?

TimNQ
Krazyfisher
Fishsmith
NQCairns
Nonibbles
Snelly
Robbo townsville
Fnq tinny
Mundi

Lucky_Phill
09-02-2004, 04:20 PM
Looks like you fellas up there have got ya sh*t together. 9 boats for an M & G. well done.

Let's hope the weather plays the part for ya's.

Cheers Phill

Daintreeboy
09-02-2004, 05:20 PM
Tim has gotten onto me about this and I'll let you know what I'm doing. I'd like to come but not sure if I can (as well as not wanting to get wet!!) Have a great time if I don't catch up with any of you.
Cheers, Mark.

TimNQ
10-02-2004, 03:39 AM
Hmm looks like the weather may be getting bad. Lets just hope for a miracle ::) ::)

North Tropical Waters
Cooktown to Cardwell
Thursday: SW/NW winds 30/40 knots, possibly stronger. Computer models indicate a Tropical Cyclone possible in the area.

TimNQ
13-02-2004, 04:36 PM
I got a few gps marks for some off shore reefs and wrecks. I will get some more before we go i just didnt have the time to write any more down. Tell me if you have heard of them or better yet fished them for some reports.

Sea hound
Hillock
Britomart reef
Bramble reef
fore n after reef
Knife reef.
If anyone wants the marks then pm me and ill givem to ya.
Tim

Mad_Barry
14-02-2004, 06:23 AM
We have a day up there planned for this Sunday, if this rain keeps up we won't bother taking the car & trailer, will just about be able to go up the highway by boat ;D

Will let ya's know if & how we go.

Probably can't make it next weekend, plenty of kids stuff on.

fishsmith
15-02-2004, 04:06 AM
unfortunately i won't be able to attend the meet and greet as i have work committments,but hopefully i will get to the next one.

Tight lines Smithy.................

TimNQ
15-02-2004, 04:41 AM
Ah thats too bad smithy. Make sure you keep an eye out for the next M&G.
Tim
PS Or you could take a sicky ;D

NQCairns
15-02-2004, 06:06 AM
Not a problem - We will see how the weather is for that weekend and see who would like to tag along for a trip to the reef - You're looking at about a 30 mile trip both ways but only the last 8 mile is open

Now who can I stalk to some good spots #:(
Could always follow Krazyfisher but would need radar to keep up with his rig. :)
Always a shame when resonsibility cuts fishing fun time, catch you up on the next one [smiley=2thumbsup.gif].

And your out too Dicko! #Look forward to hearing how you went this w'end.
Next time eh! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

nq

krazyfisher
15-02-2004, 11:42 AM
just hope the wheather comes good so we can find some good fish

Tim
send me a pm with the marks so I can have them in the gps before I get there

nonibbles
15-02-2004, 01:19 PM
Geez some of those spots are 100k round trip from oyster point, I hope its flat.

TimNQ
15-02-2004, 04:05 PM
Yea i cant remember exactly where the spots are but i think knife reef is a fair distance. I got the marks from fishfinder book and i think a few members here have it aswell so there will be heaps more to choose from close in. I think a few of the places were fairley close reefs???
Krazy ill pm you those marks now.
Tim

nonibbles
16-02-2004, 05:27 AM
Otter reef is about my max range without refuelling at sea and I'm loathe to do that

TimNQ
16-02-2004, 06:47 AM
how far is otter? Like i said a few of the guys have the fishfinder book which is where i got the marks from so there are heaps to choose from id say which may be closer. I dont know much about hinchinbrook so im hoping someone else who has fished this area (snelly) can lead us to some good fishing ;D
Also would be good if ><> can make it, i think he has fished the area a bit.

nonibbles
16-02-2004, 06:58 AM
Only measuring on map but to scale approx 50k from oyster point

Barrymundi
16-02-2004, 07:10 AM
The front of Otter is about 28NM the reek is about 10NM long
Cape Richards is a nice spot, Gould and Garden Island are nice. Check your zoning regulations for the area.

The water that end of the island can turn nastey real quick. Check the weather and tides.

For those working the island there is a wreck just off Hecate Point. No fish, but at high water easy to hit.

TimNQ
16-02-2004, 07:11 AM
:o
I hope we dont have to go that far just to find some good fishing. I just checked the map and yea the reefs i quoted are a fair distance.

Scott, you said you had fish finder right? Can you have a looksee for some places closer to cardwell.
Tim

TimNQ
16-02-2004, 07:17 AM
Or better yet, alan, do you have any marks you wish to share ;D :-X

NQCairns
16-02-2004, 07:22 AM
Hi all,

Here is a few of those marks mapped out, and some other from my book if anyone has any more non secret coordinates PM me and I will map where they are, and give credit :D
Tim there must be a new version of fishfinder because for the life of me I cannot find those marks in minem, might have to upgrade.
PS I measured Knife from the ramp 150km+ one way!!!!
Dont know where otter is :'(

TimNQ
16-02-2004, 07:27 AM
I think its just to the north of brito mart reef, similar distance away as bramble is to brito??

NQCairns
16-02-2004, 07:41 AM
If that is it, then 52km shortest trip dodging sandbars and islands and 21km from nearest landfall. Big distanced involved for reef trips. I visited GBRMPA site to download their current lockout zones etc and they have nothing of value on site that i could find, amazing they can get away with that type of behaviour. There was usefull maps there once I am sure, just trying to make it harder for us all I think, smoke n mirrors.nq

Barrymundi
16-02-2004, 08:40 AM
Bramble is a good option from Lucinda, not from Cardwell.

Good Spots, sorry Guys only fished the Southern Reefs, Bramble - Pith. North I have fished out to Cape Richards. On the Channel side of things #I have fished at least 80% of the area. As regular fishos know a spot is only good on certain tides, certan moons and certain times of the year.

Think like you would any other spot you fish, watch for backwaters, run offs, legdes, holes, changes in bottom structure. Cape Richards is one of the best Mackerel spots inshore. Watch out for the HUGE turtles.

If you go into Missionary Bay it pays to be up todate with the Dugong Transit Lanes. There is a good brochure around, not sure if it GBRMPA, QFS or NPWS.

It is handy to find your ways into creeks. It gives bearings. Not sure if the dugong know not to travel in the lanes :)

Heres a Barra from Seymour, early moring, dropping tide, RH Bank near mouth, Lure SNAGMASTER - DK LURES, The creek was silting up a bit last time I was there, but the recent rain may have fixed that problem

Barrymundi
16-02-2004, 09:19 AM
Missionary Bay,

Save file and zoom out to see details

Barrymundi
16-02-2004, 09:26 AM
Reef, once again save file and zoom in for details

NQCairns
16-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Thanks ><> I have just spent an hour relating your maps to my sat images, found many interesting fishing coordinates to check out ;D, also some areas to avoid around half tide with a bit of wind around at getting home time. Thanks again [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] nq

Mad_Barry
16-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Spent the day in the channel (from Fishers ck), the bottom end from about Deluge ck sth is still very dirty from the run off from recent rains. The top end is still pretty clean.

3 of us flicked lures all day, mainly in the creeks on the island side. we got 8 small barra. "we" is a good word. #;D , one got 5, one got 3, and one got a duck. yeah, yeah that was me with the duck #::), ....(don't start, I've been copping it all the way home this evening #;D)

Al, Brownie ended up with the 5, so it was his turn to feed it to me #>:( #;D

I'm not real sure of what boats you are all heading up there with, but be a bit careful, some of those places being mentioned to fish are quite some distance, and if the weather aint A1, can be a bloody handful for most smaller tinnys (or even bigger ones at times #???)

Next week is some big tides, so lure fishing the snags will be difficult, or even bait fishing in the creeks for that matter. Pelagics in the more open water would be a better target. some good options, reasonably close would be around Gould Is, or possibly cape richards. Even going "around"
to Eva Island can be a challenge in all but perfect conditions.

On the Eastern end of Gould is a small channel that breaks the northern most tip off the island. Lots of bommies & submerged rocks. This can get shallow at low tide. When the tide is running hard thru here, some queeenies or trevally may be hanging around. Poppers or metal slices are the go.

On the eastern most tip of the island is a large rock, just under the surface (from memory it's about 50 to 100 m off the tip). You'll pick it as the current will be swirling around it. (watch it at low tide though).

For bottom fishing, the northern side of the island is reasonably shallow, lots of rocky headlands etc in close. The southern side (facing Hinch Is), has the deeper water out the eastern end, theere is a distinct drop off, running parralel with the island about 50m from the shore. (from about 5 to 6 m to 10 to 12m). It's also good area for trolling deep divers close to this ledge. trevally etc & the odd fingermark.

I'll add some more when I think of 'em. Bit stuffed at the moment #;)

# # # # #

Barrymundi
17-02-2004, 02:47 AM
Dicko,

Gaz and I fished Haughton Saturday landed 11 out of 30 Barra :)

krazyfisher
17-02-2004, 03:44 AM
there seems to be heaps of open spots what about if it is dare I say it blowing hard any good safe spots?

TimNQ
17-02-2004, 03:49 AM
In the channel id say krazy. dicko said the northern end was still fairley clean even with the rain. Very protected in the channel ive heard. On wednesday when we get the 3 day forecast, i will get people to decide whether they want to still do it this weekend or save it for better weather.
Tim

krazyfisher
17-02-2004, 04:05 AM
Tim
I will be up there with my boat no matter what so unless it 35kns I will be fishing some where ;D

TimNQ
17-02-2004, 04:08 AM
Im thinking it will be good eh, forecast says 10-15 kn for thursday so far, slowly getting better. By the weekend it will be 5 knot winds occasionally dropping to zero knots. :D

SNELLY
17-02-2004, 04:22 AM
My plan at this stage is if the weather is good on Saturday to head for Kennedy Shoal - 30mile each way- so if anyone wants to tag along

Otter is only about another 5 mile further

Krazy what donk you got on your long boat ?

If it is blowing then I intend to lure fish the channel

Like Tim said we should get a feel what what the outlook is on Wednesday - Provided we don't get too much more rain the Barra's could be well and truly on the job

SNELLY

krazyfisher
17-02-2004, 04:44 AM
snelly its a 60hp tohatsu opened up to a 70hp I'll be with you if the wheather is good

nonibbles
17-02-2004, 04:56 AM
Only thing'll stop me is if road is cut by flood

krazyfisher
17-02-2004, 04:58 AM
if the roads flood just put the boat in there ;D

Mad_Barry
17-02-2004, 05:47 AM
Dicko,

Gaz and I fished Haughton Saturday landed 11 out of 30 Barra :)

That's good going.

We dropped a lot yesterday as well, including a few nice ones. (it might also be something about getting the brain back into gear after the time off we've had with the closed season ;D ;D)

Had a bit of fun fishing a large gutter near the bottom of the tide with poppers, it was pouring rain at the time. (we had a couple of heavy showers during the day, but mostly fine)
no keepers for the day, the ones to the boat were all 40 to 50, and a couple were 57.99cm ::)

NQCairns
17-02-2004, 05:50 AM
Gaz and I fished Haughton Saturday landed 11 out of 30 Barra

You are such a tease ;) What is Haughton? Got some determined data mining to do before the weekend.

<>< are you in for the weekend?

Cool Tim ;D thats the same forecast I got at 3.15 last night #[smiley=zzz.gif][smiley=2thumbsup.gif]nq

Barrymundi
17-02-2004, 08:54 AM
Haughton is a Creek south of Townsville.

That weekend I will be down the Gold Coast on Family matters. Have fun and take plenty of photos

TimNQ
17-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Ah alan the misses and i send our sympathy to you and your family. Hope yous get out for a fish.

Hopefully all you drop outs can make it to the next one. ;D

TimNQ
17-02-2004, 09:25 AM
Also alan how did you get in the haughton? ive been wondering where the boat ramp is for a while.

Barrymundi
17-02-2004, 09:36 AM
Thanks tim

Launch at Guru. Local tackle shops have mud maps. You can also use Gungulla, tide dependent

krazyfisher
18-02-2004, 02:54 AM
so far the wheather is looking good

SNELLY
18-02-2004, 04:00 AM
Hey Krazy, If Fridays forecast carries to Sat were out to Kennedy in less than 1 hour

Snelly

krazyfisher
18-02-2004, 04:51 AM
snelly how far is it and what speed does your boat get?

Robbo_Townsville
18-02-2004, 05:36 AM
Hey Snelly, if you go can TimNQ and myself tag along in my boat.

Cheers

SNELLY
18-02-2004, 05:54 AM
Krazy

30 mile - I can get a little over 30 kn - you should get that and some

Robbo - No problems

LOOK OUT THEM TROUT

TimNQ
18-02-2004, 06:15 AM
Awsome weather so far fellers.
My last weekend in NQ so lets make it a good one weather wise and fish wise.

Anyway looking forward to meeting you all and hopefully working out a venue and date for our next M&G. Yes i will be back up here to attend and help organise more M&G's. We will have a talk as a group when we get to cardwell about when and where we may want to do the next one.
Tim

NQCairns
18-02-2004, 07:35 PM
Hi all, I just finished logging all the interesting coordinates with oziexplorer for the upcoming M&G. Stuff like Islands, reefs, shoals, seamounts, headlands, deep holes, markers and the river mouths just north of cardwell plus some others, if anyone wants a JPG copy PM me. It is wgs84, do not trust any for better than around 200m for safety sake. There is about 60 at a guess, cheers.nq

Ps if anyone wants it in NMEA format or even text or whatever let me know and I will try to do that if i can work it out :).

krazyfisher
19-02-2004, 03:40 AM
and so far the wheather for saturday is 10 knots ;D

krazyfisher
19-02-2004, 10:52 AM
Well I am packed heading up tomorrow morning spend a day in t'ville than friday I'm on my way to cardwell hope the wheather stays good.

SNELLY
19-02-2004, 11:14 AM
Still Lookin GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

IDQ1126002
North Tropical Waters
Cooktown to Cardwell
Wednesday until midnight: SE winds about 15 knots. Seas 1.2 to 1.7 metres.
Showers.
Thursday: SE/E winds easing to 10/15 knots. Seas to 1.2 metres. Showers.
Friday: SE/NE winds 10 knots.
Saturday: NE winds 10 knots.

IDQ1126003
Tropical Waters
Cardwell to Bowen
Wednesday until midnight: SE/E winds about 15 knots. Seas 1.2 to 1.7 metres.
Showers
Thursday: SE/NE winds 10/15 knots. Seas to 1.2 metres. Showers.
Friday: SE/NE winds 10/15 knots.
Saturday: NE winds 10 knots.

NQCairns
19-02-2004, 05:55 PM
NQTinny and I should get in fri arvo/evening. Anyone got directions to the Cara park? Look forward to saying G'Day.nq

SNELLY
19-02-2004, 07:40 PM
NQ - It is on your left on the main drag not long after you hit town.

Looks like everyone has got there stuff sorted but just in case here are some co ordinates that will put you on top of Kennedy Shoal 18 4 45.079 146 26 55.999

I have a problem though - No deckie at this stage - Anyone from Cairns or Townsville looking for a ride ? Send me a PM

If I don't get a deckie I will probably still go by myself . My mate in Townsville who was going to come with me will come up Sunday if I don't get a starter.

JON

TimNQ
20-02-2004, 03:58 AM
weather is now only 5-10 knot se winds, tending ne 10-15 knots in the arvo. Looking good
Tim

SNELLY
20-02-2004, 06:06 AM
Attention all NQ M&G attendees !!!! #

When I satyed at the Caravan Park at Cardwell on the Australia Day long weekend the mozzies were pretty bad if you were unprotected so make sure you bring your coils and repellant

NQCairns
20-02-2004, 08:38 AM
Thanks Snelly, how many can U fish?, If you missout on a deckie and you can fish 3 Ron and I would be in for a reef trip, costs and all. cheers nq

SNELLY
20-02-2004, 09:04 AM
NQ,

Can sorta fish 3 but 2 is better boat is only 15ft

Were you intending to go to the reef or were you going to fish around the islands ?

JON

NQCairns
20-02-2004, 01:18 PM
Cheers The boat is only a 14 with a 30 on it, so the weather will be the decision maker. Looking forward to the reef the most then the Is then the channel if it stays 5-10Kn then the reef is on ;D cheers. nq

Edit I just had a look at the map and it is 50km one way to the reef, so on second thought might leave it alone (bummer) and fish halfway out and around the islands. Unless we can bum a ride Sunday. cheers

SNELLY
20-02-2004, 04:12 PM
OK so we are all looking OK for the weekend

Looks like most people are heading down/up on Friday so there should be a fair bit of Ming & Ging already done on Friday night.

I will be heading down on Saturday morning as its my anniversary tomorrow plus I have a birthday party to go to tomorrow night as well.

I'll get away from here about 4-30am to get to the Caltex at Gordonvale when they open at 5-00am for the obligatory Bacon,Egg & Cheese Jaffle. This will get me to Cardwell by
7-00am. If I'm taking NQCairns & FNQ Tinny I'll pick them up at the Caravan park.

My mobile no is 0417 642 630

See you all on Saturday at the ramp at 7-00am

JON

Daintreeboy
20-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Have a good one boys, don't forget to post!

TimNQ
21-02-2004, 04:20 AM
Getting excited now, i dont want to go to work now :-[ ;D ;D

Robbo_Townsville
21-02-2004, 04:30 AM
Tim, by the time you have smoko, read the paper, so on and so forth before you know it I will be parked out the front ready to go.

Robbo_Townsville
21-02-2004, 04:32 AM
For those going up tonight we will have to have a cold frosty at the bar.

Hands up who is going to be tonight.

Brett

TimNQ
21-02-2004, 04:37 AM
[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
ofcourse ;D

SNELLY
21-02-2004, 04:50 AM
Just a thought if you are considering having a beer by the pool - No Glass

Robbo_Townsville
21-02-2004, 06:26 AM
I think I will give the pool a miss, you know what fish do in water don't ya snelly. Besides, I would be to worried about one of those crocs walking up from the beach and sliding in to wash the salt water off. ;)

Cheers Brett

nonibbles
21-02-2004, 11:04 AM
Any spearfishers amongst us?

SNELLY
21-02-2004, 11:37 AM
Not sure but I don't think so

See you in the morning

JON

krazyfisher
23-02-2004, 02:44 PM
well sat was an interesting day for robbo t'lle and myself had a few problems and didn't get too much better but you all must wait for his prized fish he got a pic and all ;D still a good get away look forward to the next one , but fella's after so many fish caught6 1/2hrs was a long drive
snelly how did you go on sunday?
once again a good time is always had on the water

TimNQ
24-02-2004, 12:44 AM
Yea it was a good trip, the fishing was average for us but thats what we get for being impatient and trying to get out early. Krazy fisher and his crew and robbo_townsville and myself only fished around gould and didnt get too much. Me and robbo were happy pulling up spanish flags and mother in law ;D Snelly, NQCairns, fnqtinny and nonibbles i think all went out to otter reef both days but i dont know the details well enough so ill let them post a report and pictures. Didnt get the fishing i was hoping for (mainly because robbo and myself had a rather big night on the udl's saturday.) But the fishing we did on saturday was very enjoyable and the tarpon at cattle creek were a bit of fun aswell on the way there and back. Fishing aside though, i think i had the most enjoyable time while having some drinks and chatting in the front of the bar in those comfy seats, allthough i was prolly a bit loud and drunk ;D but hey its my first time in months for a drink. :-X
I enjoyed meeting all of you's, i didnt get much time to meet a few of you properly or sober, but theres next time for that. Anyway im all out and back to bed for a few more hours sleep before work, been asleep almost sinse we got home [smiley=zzz.gif]
Tim
PS hurry up with those photos snelly of your little beauty

SNELLY
24-02-2004, 05:06 AM
Sunday,

Up at 5-15am packed and off to the ramp to meet my mate from Townsville at 6-00am

Wind on Sunday was more out of the north than Sat but not too bad. Got on the back of a 34' Black watch for a while when we got to gould he wasn't going fast enough. Got out to otter with things not too bad.

Bottom bashed as with the extra chop on the water the GT Popper fishing was a bit harder did see some bait schools and had a couple of casts but no go.

First drop to the bottom and got 37cm Stripey/Spanish Flag then a few more plus other various reefies. Float lines were going off fairly regurlarly scored a shark mackerel plus a small Spaniard. Next hit 10kg Spaniard which we kept and then off the bottom a good trout about 55cm. No pics for Sunday - I need to get that digital camera. Scott has the pic of the GT so he should post that directly.

Great weekend, great group of people - Lets start on another one, Perhaps a lucinda this time - What do people think ???? I'll start another post for the next one and see how we go

SNELLY

Robbo_Townsville
24-02-2004, 08:17 AM
Yeah I would be in that Snelly. Thanks Krazy for those kind words about my expert "mother-in-law" catchin abilities. A pic will be not far away.

Thanks Tim for organising what was my first Meet and Greet but will not be the last.

Hope that everyone can attend the next one.

Cheers

TimNQ
24-02-2004, 08:57 AM
Hmm snelly i was thinking that the whitsundays might be a popular choice for the next one. That and lake proserpine were the most popular choices after hinchinbrook last time. I guess it depends on how far people are willing to travel. Why not chuck up a new poll to see where everyone wants to go. Personally id prefer to try somewhere different than hinchinbrook for the next one. Just ideas for now.
Tim

TimNQ
24-02-2004, 08:58 AM
ah and robbo, thanks again for a very enjoyable trip and boat ride, much appreciated.
Tim

nonibbles
24-02-2004, 10:22 AM
Thanks for a great weekend guys! #It was great meeting you and having a nag etc. #The fishing on Sunday was a non event for us preferring to stay around the channel and toss some lures. #No interest from the fish. #Hinchinbrook was looking quite spectacular though with very well lit up views of the mountains. #Wish I brought that camera! #Snelly, sorry didn't meet you out at the reef on Sunday but tiredness & heat got the better of me (very heatstroked and dehydrated). #I must have drank about 4 litres of water and I was still buggered! #
I'm definitely gunna walk up to those bully GTs and demand my lures back! #
Wow that was fun can't wait to do it again but as has been mentioned before, maybe somewhere else.
Lucinda does sound like a great option, the reef is about the same distance away but a bit deeper and I hear there is also fish there.
My personal preference though would be Whitsundays/Proserpine. Maybe if we did a weekend again we could do offshore around islands one day then up to the dam the next.

Again, thanks for a great time

krazyfisher
24-02-2004, 10:33 AM
yep go the whitsundays

NQCairns
24-02-2004, 02:12 PM
Yeah it was a good meet, great to meet like minded fisho's even if we all fell in a hole sun morning 8) (snelly excluded). Sat night and all the way home I estimate Ron said GT around a thousand times ;D. Watching the trevors smash poppers and bait schools was an experience, everytime we went to head home some more bait school action kept us there. Cheers again Snelly for taking the chance on a couple of unknown yobs for the sat reef trip. We were both sore ,red and dehydrated on Sunday though.
I will need to get my finger out and finish the reef boat for the next one though, saturday was just what the doctor ordered my enthusiasm was waining.

Was the trout at those spots we sounded early sat??
Where is that much talked about tasty fish pic Robbo :D

Some fish pics

NQCairns
24-02-2004, 02:14 PM
Another...

NQCairns
24-02-2004, 02:15 PM
Again...

SNELLY
24-02-2004, 03:51 PM
Scott & Ron,

It was a pleasure to take you both and I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves.

IMHO that is what fishing is all about and taking someone fishing and showing them new things and catching new fish is just as much , if not more fun than catching them yourself.

We fished the inside of Otter yesterday for the Trout and Mackerel.

Hey - Robbo - No mother in law fish out there so not much use for you.

JON

SNELLY
24-02-2004, 04:43 PM
Also we should send a Big THANKS to Al who started this Idea

Daintreeboy
24-02-2004, 05:45 PM
Nice pics lads. Those first two look like Gold spot trevally, good chewing. How big was the GT?
The weather looks good this weekend too. We should head out somewhere up here.
Cheers, Mark.

fnq_tinnie
25-02-2004, 03:42 AM
hi all just saying thanks to every one who turn up for the meet & greet

and a special thanks scott & john it was
a great trip for me

ps robbo no pic's of the mother inlaw hahahahahahaha

SNELLY
25-02-2004, 04:57 AM
The GT was about 15kg and was caught on 6kg

Scott and Ron will vouch for its weight - Ron particulary

JON

Robbo_Townsville
25-02-2004, 06:19 AM
Mother - in - law, what mother - in - law.

Have them up sometime this week so you can all have a laugh.

Cheers from your Son - in -law

NQCairns
25-02-2004, 06:29 AM
Hi Daintree what do you propose? I might be interested, just need to test the water on the domestic front a bit closer to the weekend before being sure. cheers.

Robbo was the barbie hard to clean in the morning? Safe to say the ants wouldn't have bothered with it, sorry couldn't resist. :-X ;D ;D ;D

SNELLY
25-02-2004, 06:44 AM
Mark/Scott

I was intending to go up to the Daintree this weekend to have another go at the Tuna at Snapper

JON

TimNQ
25-02-2004, 08:35 AM
ahh the bbq. rob and myself took a journey over to them with paper towels but in our drunken state ended up back at the unit and forgeting about it. not sure what happened ::)
Tim

Daintreeboy
25-02-2004, 01:51 PM
I'll post in a day or two about what I'm up to. I might be stuck in Cairns as some friends from Ayr are coming up. Otherwise I think Jons idea of Snapper is a good one. The trout are too quiet for my liking so tuna and maybe even fingermark are the go. I'll let you know.
Cheers, Mark.