PDA

View Full Version : boat licence

MrMike
22-02-2004, 04:18 PM
just wondering if some one could tell me what's the go with getting a boat licence in QLD. Do i need to just do a boat licence course and then take the certificate to QLD transport to get the licence. I'm only 18 and i dont know how i'm meant to go about getting my licence. My old man got his like 20 odd years ago and he isn't sure how it works these days that's why i'm asking here.
thanx in advance.

Remo
22-02-2004, 04:27 PM
MrMike,

You got it in one, You do the course they give a certificate of a pass, which you take to Dept of transport.

The course are now $120 odd & I think the licence is $55 but Im not sure on that one.

Ray

corza85
22-02-2004, 05:37 PM
just pick a boat licence tester out of your local paper.... only ends up costing around $40 and is a lot easier then the boat licence course..and then u just take the certificate into the transport dept and pay an additional 30 - 40 dollars...

cheers................corza

Big_Kev
23-02-2004, 06:08 AM
Do yourself a favour and do the course, this will teach you a lot more about boating and is money well spent.
Cheers Kev.

Lucky_Phill
23-02-2004, 10:48 AM
Good advice young Kev ! ;)

Phill

jaybee
23-02-2004, 03:56 PM
Lucky Phil
Good advice young Kev unless u wanna become a non paid yabbie digger, ask phil
cheers
Joe

Lucky_Phill
24-02-2004, 12:29 PM
Just because you get a licence, doesn't mean you can drive !

We all make boo boo's and furthermore, I left me Yabbie pump at home.

I still concur with Reel Hard, in doing the course.

And JB, I am NOT the Sandbar King, someone else here on Ausfish has taken my title. :-X :-X :-X

Phill

jaybee
24-02-2004, 12:36 PM
awww come on phil u can tell us ;D

sharkbait
24-02-2004, 01:20 PM
;D

Captian_Zero
24-02-2004, 06:12 PM
I agree with Kev.

I did a course recently and it was well worth it. It is fairly extensive going through all the navigation and other markers,Queensland reegualtions (i.e. speed limits etc) safety equipment, anchoring techniques, maintenance, chart reading as well as a bit of practical work in the boat.

I had no experience driving a boat before the course and I now have a licence and I think I spent more time in the line at Qld Transport than I did driving the boat and am still not confident enough to go out on my own. Especially after I manged to get the hire boat stuck on a sandbank in the Broadwater first time out. I then let the boat drift into the channel marker.

Cheers

CZ

dasher
24-02-2004, 06:39 PM
Hey guys is it true u have a drivers licence to get a boat licence. ???

dasher
24-02-2004, 06:44 PM
Sorry fingers can't keep up with scotch. Should say do u need a drivers licence to get a boat licence. ???

Big_Kev
25-02-2004, 03:44 AM
Not as far as I know.
I was under the impression you can get a boat liscence at 15yrs and car was 17yrs.
Cheers Kev

Big_Muddie
25-02-2004, 03:58 AM
To obtain a boat license you need to be 16 years or older (source:Qld Recreational Boating Safety Handbook, Issue 16 p41).

New boat licenses these days, if you do have a drivers license, are virtual licences.

Once you have passed the tests and present your documentation to a Dept of Transport office, you pay the fee and your existing drivers license is also your boat license. #If you don't have a drivers license, then a confirmation statement is issued to present to an authorised person who requires to see your boat license. #I don't recall if the confirmation statement is issued if you do have a driver's license.

The documentation you receive from the boat licensing tester is not acceptable as a boat license

fnq_tinnie
25-02-2004, 04:13 AM
hello mr mike
as i've just finished my boat lic course it was much eazyer to do and obtaine my boat lic 1day coure cost $110.00 well worth the money in my book .
u have to be over 16 yrs old ot ob tain a boat lic
and every few people fale the course to mate

Big_Al_2
27-02-2004, 09:24 AM
I did a course as well, even after 14 years in the Navy - always good to refresh as rules do change occasionally and the Navy doesn't have too many recreational boats.

Drivers licence doubles as the boat licence. Dept of Transport didn't make any annotations to my drivers licence to indicate I have a boat licence - I suppose I'll find out if there are any additional classifications on my licence when the renewal comes up in a couple of months. The couple of times I've had Fisheries patrols pull alongside to check licence, safety equipment, fish, etc, the driver's licence has been sufficient, but how they know whether you're telling porkies or not I wouldn't have a clue (did see any onboard PCs).

Cheers

Big Al 2

propdinger
27-02-2004, 12:11 PM
hi guys
as i understand it now we have gone back to the old syatem once you have got your boat licence you never need to pay again as it is a life licence. i was told this when i went into transport mob to find out why they hand not sent my renewal ??? as it was 2 months past due date she told me its a life licence which my father has had for 35 years + (hope she was right) as for the licence it is a virtual licence my mate was checked out once all they did was call in his drivers licence and name and they told the cops he has a licence so they must have it on computer somewhere

cheers
jeff

fnq_tinnie
28-02-2004, 04:58 AM
hi all
no onboard pc's they radio control room and give your details.
then in cotrole room lookes up on the pc and tells them if u hold a boat lic.
the way police used to do it.

ron