PDA

View Full Version : Longest Fishing Session

Hutcho
02-03-2004, 09:10 AM
Hi all,

I was chatting to a mate last night about an eustary trip we did few months ago that we basically summed up as "bloody ridiculous", but only for the amount of time we were out. We fished just over 14 hours. We are each other's own worst enemy when we go fishing together - needless to say were both both absolutely stuffed when done, and had 'seas legs' pretty bad when we got home. Most of it was a night I admit which isn't as taxing as the daytime, and it was in calm water. Offshore fishing would be a lot more taxing. We stayed so long cos the fishing was so good. 9 species caught and about 40 odd fish. All released in good condition.

Be interesting to hear a few stories on how long people have ventured out on any one single fishing trip!

Who has the record..........???

Cheers,
Hutcho

Brissyguy
02-03-2004, 09:21 AM
Hutcho,

My first 7 day trip to then Swains was a biggie.
Never having experienced fishing so hot before, mate and I fished day and night for the first 3 days non stop lol.
We were that bad they had to bring our meals to us lmfao.
Only problem is we didnt see the fourth day or night at all. :-/

Day 5 we pulled the pin at 3am, Day 6 we never went to bed and drank beer and sang stupid songs all the way home on the 7th day .
This was really a trip to remember LMFAO.
Twas before bag limits and we really abused the catch rate bringing home lots of meals for families and friends.
Must admit though nothing was wasted, we even used the heads of the larger whole fish for stock. ;D

Cheers,
Rich.

Dr_Dan
02-03-2004, 10:53 AM
recently spent 22hrs on my 14ft runabout fishing offshore with my bro in law. pretty stupid considering there was stuff all fish around!!!

imnotoriginal
02-03-2004, 11:08 AM
when I was 10 I spent about 9 hours fishing for toadfish and whiting off the beach....I was easily entertained back then :P
Joel

basserman
02-03-2004, 11:21 AM
longest would have to be a 24 hour session on lake glenbourn started the first morning we got there cast everything we had to the fish with very little and not much size but that was untill late afternoon came along and all of a sudden there were bass and BIG bass almost everywhere we cast then night hit and we moved over to the dam wall and to the rockwalls casting big popper around and haveing alot of fun with the big bass and even BIGGER siver perch!
had alot of fun untill the electric died but after a full 24 hours fishing i think it lasted a bloody long time! ;D

Reefmaster
02-03-2004, 01:11 PM
biggest to date would be a 3 day 2 night trip out from stanage bay (Rockhampton) fishing the percy Islands in 5.5mtr plate boat. We came back to stanage and had a one day break then did the same all over again. Getting rocked around for 3 days at a time in a small boat makes the body feel alittle strange when back on dry land. its amazing what fishermen will do to catch fish ;D ;)
Cheers Greg

Mugil
03-03-2004, 06:26 AM
I've had a few 'marathons'. One that springs to mind was the time a mate and I drove from Perth to Exmouth for a weekend.
Worked out we spent 36hrs driving for 32 hrs fishing(and sleeping). Had a ball nonetheless.
Cheers

Brissyguy
03-03-2004, 08:30 AM
Hey Greg,

Takes a while for the land legs to work after a trip like that. :-/
After each Swains trip I got better and better at recovering until my head goes under the shower and I need to grab something quickly LMFAO.

Cheers,
Rich.

JB
03-03-2004, 08:48 AM
Rich i'd been keen as to check out the swains one day, did you go on a charter if so which one was it? and roughly how much r those trips?

JB

Reefmaster
03-03-2004, 12:15 PM
hey Rich
your right about the shower it feels like you have drank a couple of ctns. ;D
How have you found the swains? Have heard from alot of people that the fishing isnt all what its cracked up to be.
Cheers Greg

Lucky_Phill
03-03-2004, 12:33 PM
I have heard the same about the Swains. Hit and miss nowdays.

Victory fishing club has a meet every second weekend or so. lines down at 3.30pm and up at 6-6.30am. That's a 15 hour fish every second weekend.

Guess why they catch a lot of fish ?

Guess why I gave that up ?

Phill

Brissyguy
03-03-2004, 12:37 PM
Greg and JB,

Havent been for about 5 years now but it was heaven when we were there.
Must admit it does depend on the skipper...
It was almost boring catching fish in the end and we started making lures on the deck out of white rag and Xmas tinsel lmfao.
Memorable catch was a huge grassy about 16 pounds on piece of cigarette packet silver paper wrapped around a 7/0 hook.
The lippers (red throat as well) were hitting surface baits in the lagoons.

I would recommend the trip to anyone.
Costs these days are scary with a 7 day trip costing about $1500/head.
But when you consider that you have red hot fishing on tap 24 hrs a day, your catch filletted and cleaned, 3 hot meals each day and a galley full of grog and yarns every night it is worth it.

Last trip out it was gusting to 50 knots on the way home and we saw a huge pod of Killer whales bursting through the swell to land on their sides in an awesome display of games.
They looked like they were competing to see who could get the highest in the air.

Apart from the bottom bouncing we caught some huge Macs, some too big to eat with the cig prob up there.

All in all each trip has been a wonderful experience and filled me with memories I'll never forget.
I have been on 4 trips so far, one trip as a deckie where I caught more fish than the paying customers lmfao but thats another story lol.

Cheers,
Rich.

Hutcho
03-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Excuse my ignorance fellas, but where exactly is the Swains? Obviously it is north of Brissy.

Phill, sheesh, that Victory club must drink a lot of coffee to endure that kind of fishing trip every second weekend. :o That's a damn long time to be pulling up hard fighting fish. All the best to 'em I guess. Where is the club based out of, and how far offshore do they go?

Cheers,
Hutcho

jeffo
03-03-2004, 02:22 PM
im keen to head to the rowley shoals off broome!! want to get some prices and get a crew together! sailfish heaven!!!

Brissyguy
03-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Fishing paradise Jeffo ***Sigh***

Hutcho the Swains are approx 120 Nautical miles due east of Yeppoon.
Takes about 12 - 14 hours by charter boat.
Ours was a 65 ft party boat.
There are some wire weed beds in about 35 mts roughly 2 hours before you get to the start of the Swains that hold some monster Jobfish.
Last trip everyone else cleaned up on jobbies and I got a 14 Ft Tiger #:-/
No Justice I tell ya lol.

Cheers,
# # # # Rich.

sharkbait
03-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Hutcho, victory arent an offshore club, although there are 2? i think 2 go as you please trips a year. trips are to the pin, nerang and the broadwater, one surf trip to moreton, and one to hook point as well. from what i understand some members fish the surf at south straddie on the club trips. Also QLD light gear titles etc. If you collect your own bait on the saturday morning, and drive down from brisbane, makes a very big weekend!

bugman
04-03-2004, 05:45 AM
Phil,

I thought you gave up because you were sick of winning the trophy for best sleeper ;D

I've only done one Swains trip and would dearly love to go again. As Brissyguy says 24 hours a da fish on tap for 7 days. I love fishing just as much as the next guy if not more but by day 5-6 I was enjoying the snorkelling aspect I must admit.

Not to mention my arms were pretty bloody sore.

Bugman

Brissyguy
04-03-2004, 06:47 AM
OK here is a thought !!!

Why dont we club together and look at an Ausfish Swains trip.
I can get prices from local operators in Gladstone and Roslyn Bay as well as approx available dates.
I am sure we could get 12 people together who want to go, heck I think we have at least half that number now.
I know the skippers give a better price for a group booking that fills the boat, as opposed to a few guys who need to be matched to a trip.

Let me know what you all think ???

Cheers,
Rich.

JB
04-03-2004, 07:12 AM
I'm keen rich, lets roll ;D if we can get costs / ppl together that would be great, maybe should start a poll / thread on it.

JB

Brissyguy
04-03-2004, 07:49 AM
Poll sounds a good idea JB... Go for it mate #[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Cheers,
# # # # # # Rich.

bugman
04-03-2004, 08:07 AM
I'd actually planned to do the exact same thing for later this year - however it seems I'm getting married now which will limit my time/finances.

I'd put a vote in for Kanimbla - probably the ultimate platform with great skippers.

I was also looking to make mine a fish/dive trip which weighted slection towards Kanimbla. The skipper Bruce is a dive master and they have tank refills on board.

I thought breaking up the week with a daily dive or two combined with a bit of freediving and spearfishing would be the ultimate week on the reef.

You guys might have to book a fair way in advance however. The guys I went with booked 12 months ahead.

Bugman