PDA

View Full Version : Fishing on Television

Santa
29-02-2004, 10:54 AM
Its been a long time dream of mine to have a dedicated network or a single Television Channel, just for the fishing people. What do you think? Would you watch it? What sought of programs would you like? Or have you had enough of fishing programs on television?

Brissyguy
29-02-2004, 10:58 AM
Hey Santa,

OMFG it feels like Xmas lol... :o

No such thing as too much Fishing on TV, what else is there to do when the weather wont play the game lol.

I reckon there should be shows covering all the different types of fishing, rotating each day.
Throw in some boat and product tests, maybe some DIY boat rebuilds and you couldnt go wrong. #;D

Ausfish Television
Maybe Mackmauler could demo his slug making techniques lol, Blaze and Buff on DIY, Webby on strategies, Jeffo on beaks, Harro on lines and Steve on organisation...

Then you could have Hutcho and Craigie on filleting and Lucky Phil on barbecuing the catch and what vintage beer should be drunk with what fish lol...
Hmmmmm now Ima thinking clearly, we could have Snappa on onboard etiquette for women, Reefy ummm just on women lol, Tony on bait and tackle and Jeff (Gorilla) as an O/seas reporter.
Heck we could even have a debating team with Kerry heading it up.

Cheers,
# # # # #Rich.

Sheeeesh I must be bored lmfao... :-/

corza85
29-02-2004, 11:15 AM
a whole channel just for fishing :D...how couldnt u like that idea...i would certainly watch it if there was one....

rich...good one mate..u certainly know the ausfish members pretty well..

cheers..............corza

agnes_jack
29-02-2004, 11:22 AM
Yeah
and Rich could be the host!

LOL Tony
PS Santa maybe you could get it going for us for christmas.

Lucky_Phill
29-02-2004, 11:29 AM
The idea has merits. ???

agnes_jack
29-02-2004, 11:34 AM
And Santa
By the way........Where's me F%$#@*G BIKE? >:(

Zeeke
29-02-2004, 12:22 PM
lol.. a fishing channel.. sounds good.. sign me up for a monthly package at $150 and ill watch it!

Tim

agnes_jack
29-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Santa
On a more serious note, I reckon thats a great idea and one that would be extremely popular. I know that myself I hang out for decent fishing shows on tv. Only trouble would be that I would have to get a second tv to avoid a divorce! Im sure there would be no problem getting enough footage for it. But how do we get it going! Anyone got any ideas?

Regards, Tony ???

Jeremy87
29-02-2004, 02:45 PM
Probably the best way to go is to make a few short doco's. get some decent footage and then edit on a computer. Once you've had some practice send it into a tv station and see if they'll air it. Bris 31 will be your best bet, half the time they have a blank screen so i'm sure you won't have trouble getting them to accept it. Maybe an Ausfish fishing show for half an hour a week is a good start before you try to take on 24/7 air time.
Jeremy

jeffo
29-02-2004, 02:57 PM
ill give the beakies a miss... myabe mac tuna would be more me ::) LOL.... hahaha.

caveman
29-02-2004, 03:48 PM
it would be the only reality tv show worth waching, another tthing dont it piss you off when set the vcr to tape a fishing show only to find the bastards have decided you didnt really
want to wach fishing but cricket or some other boring crap

cheers gary

Captian_Zero
29-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Sounds good

You would not have to make all the programmes yourself. You could get the broadcast rights to other programmes (might need a fair bit of seed capital to get it off the ground as this could be expensive). There are already quite a few fishing programmes on free to air and pay TV. For example.

Rex Hunt (7 & Life Style Channel), Escape with ET (9), Fish 'n 4 Wheels(Lifestyle), Hooked on Fishing, Buena Vista Fishing Club, Reel Wars (All have been on Discovery Channel in last few months), Fish O Mania, (Foxsports - a bit boring unless you want to watch fat poms catch carp in a lake), and a show from NZ (don't know the name of it but it is on Foxsports has a guy in a wheelchair as the host).

Above list does not include shows like Creek to Coast which have occassional fishing segments.

You could also throw in a few programmes like Rick Stein's Seafood Oddysey, which show you how to cook your catch.

My wife calls it laziness when I lie around on the couch. I call it research ;D

Please no Phippsy though.

Regards

CZ

P.S. Based on the photos that appear on this board, there is some good heads for radio.

Sportfish_5
29-02-2004, 05:32 PM
If you have pay tv then Saturday Mornings on ESPN has some interesting US outdoor shows. Fishing, hunting etc.

Some stories are quite good - some crap !!!

Brissyguy
29-02-2004, 05:33 PM
OK...
Prime time viewing on Ausfish TV

7am: Mac Tuna and the joys of catching them with Jeffo
8am: DIY boat rebuilds with Blaze and Buff
9am: Lobsters and Flounder with Bugman
10am: Making your own lures with Rob the Mackmauler
11am: What fish is this ? with Webby
12pm: Cooking your catch Asian style with The Gorilla in Manilla
1pm : Barbecues and Beer with Lucky Phil
2pm : Preparing your catch with Hutcho and Craigie
3pm : Tackle Talk from Agnes Jacks with Tony
4pm : Female etiquette on board with Snappa
5pm : Wheelin' them in with DC
6pm : News and sports with Webby
7pm : Fresh water roundup with Fitzy
8pm : Hookin' a charter with Brett
9pm : WWW.AUSFISH with Steve
10pm: Adults only Fish TV with Reefy and Greta (featuring Betty Boob Tube)
11pm: Deep water with Nofrills
12pm: A roundup of the weeks fishing with special guests Merv, Bugerit, JB, Brissy and Caveman.
1 am : Tim the Bream with Zeeke
2 am : Fishin' the Pin with Cloud 9
3am : Sharkbait with Sharkbait
4am : Tech talk with Nugget
5am : The Bay roundup with SeaRaider, Vertigo and Brent.
6am : Good Morning Moreton Bay with Team Mongo and Landy

Hows that for a line up folks ????

Cheers,
Rich.

Remo
29-02-2004, 06:24 PM
Alvey reels, years ago used to put on some docos in conjunction with the show wonderful world of boats. I think they used to be on 12 pm Saturday.

I think I'm showing my age now, but from what I remember they were good shows educating all fishos on many aspects of fishing and bait gathering.
The return of something similar would be the go
Does any one else remember the shows?

Ray #

blaze
29-02-2004, 06:37 PM
Hi Brissyguy
sign me up
cheers
blaze

agnes_jack
01-03-2004, 04:06 AM
Rich

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Hope ya dont want us to pay for that line up >:(

blaze
01-03-2004, 04:23 AM
now thats a tough call
pay us
i fish for nuthin
but fixen boats is a nother thing LOL

Reefmaster
01-03-2004, 05:02 AM
well i reckon my 1 hour time slot at 10pm would be action packed with Greta and betty boob tube.

10.00-servicing your equipment yourself
10.15-polishing your tackle
10.30-keeping your rod in good condition
10.45-getting that fishy smell off your equipment
:-X :-X :-X ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;)

But then the missus tells me she wants to be on the show but there is no room for her then she reminds me we would only need a minute or so. ;D maybe i can fit into someones time slot for a minute ;)
Cheers Greg

caveman
01-03-2004, 05:32 AM
or an add break aye greg :-X oh hang on there aint spose to be any add s on pay tv

cheers gary

Gorilla_in_Manila
01-03-2004, 06:34 AM
Ha ha Rich,
You have cunningly solved two problems in one for my time slot.
1. My missus does the cooking, so you fixed Capt Zero's concern about radio heads.
2. I'd have to do a shot firers course before showing the fishing style here.
;D ;D

As far as Santa's dream of a dedicated channel is concerned though; great dream, but that's exactly what it is.
Assuming you could instantaneously come up with an organisation equivalent to say, Discovery Channel, you would be making 1000 new programes a year ie 3 complete every day which equates to about 1/2 hours of new programes per day for 7 days per week. The rest of the days programming will be repeats.
I'd suggest lowering your sights a bit (well a lot actually) and look at getting an hour a week on an existing network. This would still mean producing one show a week, which is a pretty big call, and pretty big bucks. Or better still, start with a series on tape or DVD. That way those that really want to watch will buy them, and can do so at a convenient time for themselves.
I'd rather be out fishing, than sitting around watching the tube anyway. If I had a rainy day I wanted to fill and wasn't servicing the gear or making lures, I could then pop in a disc or a tape if I wanted.
If there was enough interest and sales, you can be sure the current channels would start sniffing around either looking at extending a current show, of producing a few one offs.
Cheers
Jeff

Zeeke
01-03-2004, 06:44 AM
i get a 1am time slot to show off the wonderful world of plastics?? croikey.. u must be desperate!

Tim

fnq_tinnie
02-03-2004, 04:27 AM
hi all

that i'll rite brisvagers again
what about us fells up north don't we count any more some of the best fishing is up here .
snellys tips on fly fishing
nq cairns repairs & maintance
robbo how to drive your speed boat saftly to your fishing spot
tim nq how to fishing a barra farm at nite and not get caught
angla how to cook your catch
daintreeboy great spot to wet a line
and my self host hahahahahahaha

bugman
02-03-2004, 05:00 AM
Nemo,

Chris Conroy's world of boats was my favourite show as a kid - we even got it in Tassie. It was the program with the fishing segment.

The fishing guru was Nev Howard. He runs the Southport Marine tackle shop on the broadwater.

If you go in there you can catch him every now an then. I was in there once for nearly an hour as he told some unbelievable stories.

As for the 24 fishing channel. Sorry fellas but it costs way to much to make to be feasible. Would bre great however.

As for the Flounders and CRayfish Brissy guy - I couldn't give too much away now could I ;)

Bugman

Hutcho
02-03-2004, 08:57 AM
Rich,

Craigie and I are sharpening our knives as we speak. But we gotta catch the fish first, that's the fun part. I'm sure there will be plenty of volunteers there.

Cheers,
Hutcho

Santa
03-03-2004, 04:00 PM
I really appreciate your comments and some of your ideas, maybe some of you could become television producers!

bugman
04-03-2004, 05:49 AM
Santa,

I already am ;D

Gorilla_in_Manila
04-03-2004, 08:29 AM
And I've had to produce a couple of televisions for the Inlaws. ;D ;)