PDA

View Full Version : Lunitudinal interval

gif
03-03-2004, 03:36 AM
Hi techos

I was given a gift of a fancy Japanese fishing watch - That has moon phases.

I now have some English instructions – that helped a lot!

But now if anyone wants to know the tide times in Yokahama - no worries!

To reprogram this I need for a few points around SEQ I need to get :

Longitude and

Lunitudinal interval ( expressed as The differential between the Moons Transit over the meridian until high tide.)

I can probably source these from the tide people in SA.

But does anyone have these ? Having programmed one of these devices before?

thanks
Gary

( really I was wondering what jokes you guys would be able to make out of this topic title)

Gorilla_in_Manila
03-03-2004, 03:55 AM
Gary,
I'm having an educated guess here.
Think you can just get it off Nuggets website. The two times given each day for the solunar predictions is when the moon is overhead or under foot at his position (brisbane).
The solunar times always fall just after the high tide (couple of hours lag) and I think his tide times are based on Brisbane bar, so same long / lat. Sounds like the difference between the hightide time, and the solunar time is the interval you are looking for.
Guess you could then check and see that it lines up with Nuggets predictions, ie you should get one fish showing at a solunar time and day of 25%, 4 fish showing at 100% days and times.
My mate bought one of those a couple of years ago, we used to have a great time sitting in a pub saying, "haaaa look, we should be fishing right now." Then it was back to the beers. ;D
Hope that helps. Might be wrong.
Let us know when you work it out.
Cheers
jeff

gif
06-03-2004, 07:36 PM
I ended up going to the National Tidal centre

With thanks to Mike, the answer is :

The link below is from the Maritime Safety Queensland web site and gives an explanation of the lunitidal interval plus values for other sites in Queensland:
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/lunitidal

Otherwise for the locations you mention the M2 phase is:
Gold Coast Seaway : 236.9 degrees
Mooloolaba : 235.0 degrees
Bundaberg ( Burnett Heads) : 245.4 degrees

Have a look at the following site which explains a bit about the luni-tidal interval.

http://www.pol.ac.uk/ntslf/lunitidal.php

Gary

Gorilla_in_Manila
07-03-2004, 08:02 AM
Gary,
Interesting read. Met a fellow from Thursday Island and he was saying the tides can go in one direction for a whole day, now I have an idea why.

Just had a look at Nuggets predictions and tides for this weekend and they show the luni-tidal interval as follows:
10hrs 16mins
10hrs 11mins
10hrs 4 mins
10hrs 4 mins
(as described in the link these are the times between moon passing over local meridian, ie the solunar times shown, and the next high tide)

The theoretical one given on your link above is 9hrs 40mins for Brisbane, but with an accuracy of +/- 30mins which varies throughout the lunar cycle.

Don't know if the software for the predictions makes the adjustments for the lunar cycle and it just happens to be at about +30mins on the full moon. If so, it should be bang on 9hrs 40mins next weekend and move to -30mins on the new moon. If not, then the interval is different.

Anyway, the question still remains, does any of this astronomy crap actually help anyone to catch fish? ???

Cheers
Jeff

gif
07-03-2004, 11:19 AM
Well i s certainly not Astrology

But Astronomy and Physics. The moon's position pulling ( gravity) the ocean causing tides. With time lags after the moon passes and the water moves through channels etc.

So the watch is just an average measure - there is no prediction of size of tide either.

The moon phases just tell you how bright the night will be

All my watch does is give me local time times - and even then just high, low or 4 positions in-between.

I have yet to quiz Dave or to study those Solunar peaks .

Anyway - it looks very star trek and it a fun toy to play with.
Gary