PDA

View Full Version : HMAS Brisbane

Bowser
14-03-2004, 05:34 AM
Interesting article on Stateline (ABC) last night about the shell of the HMAS Brisbane which has been given to the state by the Navy. Beattie doesn’t want to spend any money to tow it from its berth in Sydney to Qld and sink it. While the State can spend thousands trying to cover up for a Ministers lack of knowledge and inability to be honest over a bottle of wine, they are quibbling about a small amount (for them not us), to bring the Brisbane to Qld and sink it. To add insult to injury, for fisherman, after taking Flat Rock and other locations from fisherman and making them the preserve of divers, who caused the GNS problem in the first place, some of the funds required are to make holes in bulkheads so that the divers can explore the eventual wreck.

As an appeasement to fisherman, remembering that recreational angling is the largest participant sport in the state, why don’t the shut up and commit to towing the Brisbane from Sydney and create an artificial reef for fisherman, either in the Flat Rock area or in the southern bay and make it a recreational fishing reserve. They could also help rid the state of the tyre problem by allowing them to be sunk, along with other wrecks etc, in the reserve enlarging the fish holding area. At least if they did this they may get some fisherman back onside after the non thinking withdrawal of fishing territory we have suffered to appease the greens.
[smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif] #[smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif][smiley=angryfire.gif]

bay_firey
14-03-2004, 05:39 AM
G'day Bowser
Just reading your post here and i am wondering wether the Stateline program was a repeat as I thought that Issue of who and where to sink the Brisbane had been done a finnished a while ago ???

But I could easily be wrong ???

Bowser
14-03-2004, 05:57 AM
No, it could have been a slow news week, but its still sitting in Sydney rusting away while the Govts bitch over who will pay to tow it here. They rep from the HMAS Brisbane Assoc didn't quote any costs, but it sounds like it is probably going to be a couple of hundred thousand. As part of the State Govts budget, it's chicken feed. We can fly a bottle of wine to the cape and back, then fly back up there to appologise, but spend nothing on fisherman.

bay_firey
14-03-2004, 06:02 AM
It is amazing isn't it

Jeremy87
14-03-2004, 06:26 AM
I think i saw the same program as you last night, they've sunk the Sydney i think but not the Brisbane because it is in Sydney? Why doen't they just sink it somewhere in NSW. The Goverment gets to save money on towing, and NSW fishermen get the advantage of having another ship wreck to fish off. Sure we won't get to utilise it but at least someone will. We can say it's a present from us to make them feel better about being crap at sport ;).
Jeremy

basserman
14-03-2004, 07:36 AM
we will galdly have it sunk off port macquarie! ;D
would love for a artie reef to be put in somewhere around here and i'm sure the loacal divers would love to be able to see more than rocks and reef! ;D