PDA

View Full Version : Illegal net & whitebait catch seized

nsw_fisheries
13-03-2004, 06:23 AM
http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/gen/news/fb_04mar12_illegal.htm

"This document has been posted for information and to encourage discussion among yourselves. For more information from NSW Fisheries on the issue, please visit our web site on www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au"

Gorilla_in_Manila
13-03-2004, 07:21 AM
Illegal net & whitebait catch seized at Crowdry Head
March 12, 2004
Two mid north coast commercial fishers will be prosecuted after being found at Crowdy Head near Taree with an illegal net they used to catch 375kg of whitebait.

The Acting Director-General of NSW Fisheries, Paul, O’Connor, said NSW Fisheries officers found the men, aged 34 and 36, using the illegal hand-held net at Crowdy Head harbour on Tuesday night.

“The net had very small mesh and allowed the fishers to unfairly target whitebait,” Mr O’Connor said.

“NSW Fisheries officers seized the net and the catch of whitebait, valued at more than $1000.

“The commercial fishers will be summonsed to appear in court on a number of illegal fishing charges.

“They face fines of up $22,000 and/or six months jail.”

Mr O’Connor said the case showed that people who break the State’s fishing laws can expect to be caught and prosecuted.

“ Our State's fisheries are a community-owned resource.

“Illegal fishing threatens valuable fish stocks, undermines legitimate licensed commercial fishers and the regional economies they support.”

Anyone concerned about illegal fishing should contact their local NSW Fisheries office or the Fishers’ Watch number 1800 043 536.

MEDIA INQUIRIES: Eric Aubert on 8437 4948 or 0419 185 375.

Jeremy87
13-03-2004, 01:09 PM
How the hell do you catch 375 kilograms of white bait with a hand held net? To me a hand held net is something along the lines of a landing net, maybe it was something more like a drag net. In the situation that it is a "hand held net" (by my definition) what is the regualations for hand held net sizes that made it illegal (ignore the fact that they bagged 375 kilo's of white bait).
Jeremy

basserman
13-03-2004, 02:24 PM
it would of been the size of the mesh and perhaps the overal size but i would say the first one!
i knonw the whitebait get thick around here but i would say thier catch of 375kg would of been over some time
but once again what would you be able to do with that much whitebait???
i say chuck them in jail for the full six mounths and ban them from ever fishing again! >:(
but i need to say it is good to hear of more and more offenders being found :)
lets hope they keep it up and then maybe we will be able to see our RFL going to good use :)

Jeremy87
14-03-2004, 09:42 AM
We've had one or two of those messages each week. Lets hope that it's because more people are getting caught opposed to more people breaking fishing laws.

jimbamb
15-03-2004, 05:22 AM
Wats the chances of these galahs being prosecuted???
If the incidence reported here about Inverell NSW are any guide Fisheries NSW will not show up at the court case!!!!
How about a comment NSW FISHERIES!!!!

basserman
15-03-2004, 06:08 AM
that to i would like to know
we hear of them being caught but i would like to also hear of what has happend to them :)