PDA

View Full Version : This site ROCKS!

Darncer
15-03-2004, 07:48 AM
Hi guys,

a couple fo things:

Firstly, this site is great ~ loads of info and some fantastic stories ~ so glad I found it!!!

I'm just taking up fishing again after moving to Aus about 6 years ago and going into a self imposed (golf) exile after finding the fishing too different from the stuff I was doing in the UK (specimen carp, pike, tench, etc), but I'm just starting shore/estuary fishing here in Victoria and am loving it!!!!

I note that most of you guys fish in Queensland (moving there one day for sure) and NSW, but was wondering if you had any tips (other than move NORTH) for a novice sea angler?

Also, I need help identifying a fish I caught this morning from the rocks at Williamstown - it was similar to a bream in shape, had a mouth like a Luddrick, but had some sensational red shading on it's flanks - weighed about 1KG and fought like a maniac.

Cheers guys & look forward to fishing your turf on my next trips north.

Darncer

agnes_jack
15-03-2004, 07:57 AM
Welcome to the site Darncer!
Would probably need a photo of that fish to make a positive I.D.
Carry a digital camera ;)
I grew up in melb. and was diving and spearfishing around williamstown from the age of 7. Havent seen the place for 20 odd years. Last time I did see it the place had been flogged of all living marine life- Abalone, mussels, limpets, flounder etc etc where all once very prominent in the area. We had many great days down that way as kids, coming home with great fish and abalone! (the good old days!) Has it recovered at all or improved a little?

Regards, Tony ???

Darncer
15-03-2004, 02:41 PM
Thanks Tony (or is that agnes_Jack?),

I forgot the camera today, but will be back this week after work - I'll try to catch some more and post a pic - beautiful fish though, just slightly smaller than the one attached to your profile LOL!!

Speaking to the locals it is still nothing like it used to be - I've heard loads of stories from local anglers about the days when they used to take home a couple of large buckets of pinkies, flathead, etc - part of the problem perhaps!!!??!! Although the recently introduced marine parks are apparently allowing fish some room to breed and we should start to see the positive results of this in the next few years - I'll hopefully have moved North by then ;~) - I've heard a couple of half verified rumours of some large Jew Fish (14kg) and 12.5Kg snapper being caught recently, but I think these are the exceptions rather than the norm, sadly.

Anyway, I've just got myself a new fandango beach set up and hope to get some time on the beach/rocks early next week!

Cheers for the feedback,

Darncer