PDA

View Full Version : Possible week long trip

JB
04-03-2004, 08:29 AM
I have always dreamed of a trip to the top end on a boat like carpentaria seafaris but costs are pretty high, any suggestions plus interest / when would be good.

mackmauler
04-03-2004, 09:30 AM
a lot cheaper alternatives but desire is desire ;D A river somewhere thoughts hey Jb ;)

Brissyguy
04-03-2004, 09:43 AM
Swains is my pick JB although a week on Pugwashes houseboat at Weipa would be good too :D

Yeah Rob... A river somewhere... ;)

Cheers,
Rich.

bugman
04-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Didn't register on one of those but I's really like to do the Kimberley's.

I'd want the ability to fish outside and well as estuary on a great big mother of a boat with a 16 centre cab for eastury work. Beautiful scenery and great fishing.

Bugman

mackmauler
04-03-2004, 10:47 AM
Jb, how about a 1 week trial and another 2 weeks after that if it works out ;D some mates are fishn the rivers east of darwin for the next 2 weeks as a diy trip split 3 ways, it is around 1700 each.

Lucky_Phill
04-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Now is a good time to throw the ' Stanage Bay " charter up here.

qik run down.

you'll be picked up at your door. #taken to house at Stanage. #fish either reef, estuary, bay, river, crabing, lures, fly, trolling etc etc. #Have a 30ft boat and numerous small inshore tinnies at disposal. #sleep at house every night. all meals. #byo grog and gear. #fillet and freeze all fish. return you to your door. 7 day for 8 people. $1,500 each . ( last time I enquired )

Stanage Bay is 100 k's or so Nth of Rockhampton. Pretty remote and pristine reef fishing country both inshore and off.

Just a thought.

Phill

Brissyguy
04-03-2004, 11:45 AM
:o :o :o :o :o

Sounds too good to be true Phil...

But I'd be interested ;D

JB
04-03-2004, 12:01 PM
hmm something around 1500 sounds good, that is affordable (just :P), i'm easy on location i'm sure they all would be pretty damm good.

spike2
04-03-2004, 12:20 PM
what about one of the fresh water barra impoundments not to far up north from what l have seen the fishing has been pretty good and the cost would be way down , most of us could trailer our boats red claw , barra and beer bbq s ;)

spike2
04-03-2004, 12:27 PM
have done weipa several times as a fly in trip staying in caravan park cabins based on three of us with three days guieded fishing and one days tinnie hirer and some spending money you wont get change from $ 1,700
on the plus side the fishing is brilliant , not wanting to be a party pooper but from experience it isnt easy to find guys who are willing or able to spend this kind of money . also if you are considering weipa it is nearly to late to book a guied as they will start booking out for the best tides and times pretty soon
if you think you can do without a guied you could probaply bring the cost of the trip down to 1300 each
ps best money l ever spent ;D

Justme
04-03-2004, 12:36 PM
Have an M&G at Stanage Bay for a week. As Phill said, it's all at the door step.
A house for 8 costs around $570-$600 per week including all linen if you feel like havin a sleep.
Share the costs = not a lot each.
Just a thoughty.
Cheers Larry

JB
04-03-2004, 12:49 PM
hmm, phills sounds interesting but a swains trip sounds good, not much chance of me ever gettin out there in the tinny... I will investigate some costs and charters, if anyone has prices or times they were thinkin would be good please post that up. There is no hurry, even if we did a trip in september or something give some time to save :P

craigie
04-03-2004, 01:23 PM
I'm with Phill and Larry - "STANAGE BAY' !!!! ;D ;D

Would also need plenty of time to save up.

jeffo
04-03-2004, 01:57 PM
i say get some prices on the rowley shoals off broome. sailfish, tuna's, mackeral, wahoo, trout, sweetlips, cods, broadbill, sharks marlin... just to name a few. ;D

Justme
04-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Gday Craig,
How ya goin?
$600 for a week's lodgings at Stanage Bay for 8 people only works out at $75 each mate.
Add your travel and boating costs and I bet it's still heaps cheaper than any charter.
Great spot for CYCLONES
Cheers
Larry

caveman
04-03-2004, 04:04 PM
gotta agree with bugman

Wesley_Pang
04-03-2004, 05:02 PM
JB,

I've fished Broome, Rowley Shoals(260 kilometres West of Broome), Mothership Cape York North of Weipa on "Eclipse". Off to Shark Bay WA in May.

Rowley Shoals is just awesome. Only one charter boat(Kingfisher III) works this area for a few months and all catch and release(except a few coral trout for lunch - No esky filling allowed). Just amazing casting fly popper #over 3 foot of water gin clear water to coral trout. Sailfish are just crazy out there. "Kingfisher III" record is 60+ sails caught in 1 day on conventional gear. They have had 7 sails hookup at one time(landed 6). The wahoo and Yellowin are also large numbers. Just starting to target Broadbill Swordfish(these are an amazing fish). Coral Trout, Red Bass, Wrasse, Black trevally, Giant Trevally, Blue Fin Trevally, Dogtooth tuna. Rowley Shoals is how the Barrier Reef would be is if it don't get hammered.

Weipa is great if you want to do your own thing, and at a budget price. Some mates flew in and hired a tinny and stayed at the caravan park. The fishing is close to the boat ramp, and there is a great variety of fish. Another mate is towing his hornbag up and staying for 5 weeks.

I fished out of Eclipse mothership out of Weipa with a group of flyfisherman. We were self-guided, but still managed to land 47 species of fish on fly in a week.

Got an invite to fish Papua New Guinea for Black Bass on fly. Toughest fish on the planet :o. I had to knock it back:'(

If money was no object, I'd try Tropic Star Panama.

So many places to fish so little money.

Wes

maccaril
09-03-2004, 09:58 AM
hey spike 2
who did you use to guide you in weipa
what were they like
what was the cost
rob

searaider
09-03-2004, 04:16 PM
I may be interested depending where & when .
I have heard some pretty good reports about Stanage Bay .
Has anyone been up there & actually know where to fish ,
IE:- how far out are the reefs , can you get fuel there , or do you have to cart everything in ?
If we were towing the boats up I think that there is
100 / 150 kms of shity dirt road to cross .
Peter
Searaider 2

Razza
10-03-2004, 02:34 AM
been there done that at stanage bay, trying something different this time going to 1170 charter up there, cost is 1050.00 it includes all your meals all you have to take is your clothes,beer and your fishing gear, it's on a 45ft steel vessel, it's the capricorn/bunker group on the southern great barrier reef thats there area, anyone interested in going let us know still looking for 2 more ppl, dates are 31/5-6-7/6

Razza
10-03-2004, 02:35 AM
sorry that was 1770 not 1170 :P

Razza
10-03-2004, 02:36 AM
been there done that at stanage bay, trying something different this time going to 1770 charter up there, cost is 1050.00 it includes all your meals all you have to take is your clothes,beer and your fishing gear, it's on a 45ft steel vessel, it's the capricorn/bunker group on the southern great barrier reef thats there area, anyone interested in going let us know still looking for 2 more ppl, dates are 31/5-6-7/6

Lucky_Phill
10-03-2004, 01:46 PM
Yes, I forgot about the houses at Stanage Bay.

100k's of dirt road in, but usually in good condition. have to make the trailer in top condition before attempting.

Can fish close or the best reef systems are only less than an hour from the ramp. Many Islands and reefs systems there. Many Esturaries that hold numerous crabs, barra, Trevors and jack etc etc.

There is a tackle shop/ groceries/fuel/ice etc.

Phill ???

Needmorerum
11-03-2004, 04:57 PM
Have been wanting to get to Stanage for some time now, and I only live 1 hour south of Rocky, did drive in there at Christmas for a look without the boat, I reckon it would be a good 1.5-2 hours drive in with a boat in tow, road wasn't that bad, it took just over an hour in the Cruiser at around 90-110kph.
Looking at the place when we got there I got the impression that the people in the pub are sick of being there, and let visitors know that, but the view of the coastline from the lookout at the top of the hill shows what the area is really like. Can't wait to get up there and wet a line.
Will hopefully do it shortly. As far as the Poll, Weipa would be my choice. Been there once, again without the boat, we were on a 4WD trip up the Cape, seen a coral trout caught of the jetty. Watched everyone coming into the boat ramp and back to the Van Park cleaning fish, nearly cried.

snappa
11-03-2004, 06:29 PM
' Stanage Bay would be my pick but it would take a week to tow the cat up
no time left for fishing

WHY travel we have the best grounds off moreton
on days like tuesday // weathers great // feet up // boats sitting still with a gentle motion as the swells pass, ones mind strays .. whats greta no ???

sav
12-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Have to agree with Phil. Stanage Bay for me if the time suits. Can't stand the mossies and sandflies so any winter month would be best.
Does it have a pub - now thats an important point missed.
Regards
Sav

craigie
13-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Well Phill ???

The way I see it, we have about 6 starters for a winter trip to Stanage,
We also have the option of a boat from each starter 8)

And yes Sav, beer is available at Stanage as well :D

Certainly something to work with here.

Cheers
craig.

Justme
13-03-2004, 09:44 AM
Hi Fellas,
I've got a house booked at Stanage for 2 weeks from 26th June til 10th July so I'll already be there if those dates suit others.
Thats the school hols.
Better do some quick thinkin if you require accomodation because there wasn't much left available when I booked a few weeks ago.
Cheers
Larry

searaider
13-03-2004, 07:47 PM
Larry ,
Could you post or PM me some details on who to contact regarding accommodation in the area , are they on the net ?

Guy's I'm getting keener by the minute for a week at Stanage Bay . Either on the charter boat or using our own boats.
I think winter would be best .( Bugger those Mozzies & Seadflies ).

What do you think of a week within the dates previously preposed by Larry LBJ over the School Holidays from 26June to 10 th July ?

Phil ,
As you have been there before , could you recommend some accommodation & prefered dates that tie in with the best day time fishing times , Moon ? Tides ETC .( Is there any where that I can find out some more details on the charter boat ) ?

I'm still tossing up the idear of towing the rig up that last 100kms of dirt road .

searaider
13-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Guy's
It looks like I'm the only one who has picked Stanage Bay in the Poll ?

Peter
Searaider 2

Brissyguy
14-03-2004, 04:45 AM
Winter is a good time in this area guys...
If the offshore blows up, the annual run of threadfin salmon will be happening ;D
My fav eating fish yummmmmo...
Someone remember to pack the smoker lol...
When you get an idea of dates, let me know guys...

Cheers Rich.

JB
16-03-2004, 08:29 AM
Well, it seems by the posts that stanage bay has the most interest, phill seems to be up on the knowlege there, so i would be keen to take a week up there.

Needmorerum
16-03-2004, 04:25 PM
Keep us informed with progress JB. Pending work I will definately be there. Have never been to Stanage but have always wanted to.