PDA

View Full Version : Back To School

Mundi
19-03-2004, 07:15 AM
Ok guys,
My son has a 1000 word essay assignment titled "the joys of fishing." Picking my brains took about 5 seconds so lets hear a few more reasons that we spend so much of our time and money on this past time ;)

Hutcho
19-03-2004, 08:26 AM
It's getting back to basics. Hunter gatherer sort of stuff.

But is also valuable to learn how a fish acts/responds to different methods and techniques. It also teaches people to be paitent and gives each individual time to think.
At the end of the day, we are all fooling a fish to eat something to bring it out of it's environment for us to eat or look at before throwing back. Yet in the current fishing day, it also teaches us about respobsible and sustainable fishing and looking after our waterways.

Amen.

Barrymundi
19-03-2004, 08:49 AM
get away from wife

basserman
19-03-2004, 10:02 AM
the rush you get when the water os a flat as a sheet of glass. You cast your popper to just under that over hanging tree and no sooner does it touch the water when SMAAAAASH it disapers into a black hole called a BASS short but hard fight follows with it takeing line you retriveing it only to lose it again and after a few minuites you see the bass emerge out of the tanin water and he is BIG 45cm+ to the fork! WOW
thats what get me comeing back time and agine even with the brocken rods lost lures and eairly mornings! ;D ;D ;D ;D

CHRIS_aka_GWH
19-03-2004, 10:10 AM
mundi,

do the kid (and yourself) a favour & take him fishing (with a notebook).

Forget the essay title.
Have him describe...
what he sees (the stars overhead)
what he smells (the sea)
what he hears
what he touches (the cool sand between his toes)
what he feels when he catches a fish, or... when he doesn't (his emotions)

if when he turns it into long form he doesn't have 1000words, go fishing again.

seeyainthesurf,

chris

firetruck
19-03-2004, 10:15 AM
I agree with the others but am not married so i don't have the problem about having to get away from the wife.

Some of other good things are that: it is a healthy pastime that can be done with family, friends or by yourself, you learn a bit about the environment and how it works and some stuff about how look after it (most of us), you get to travel to different places and meet new people but most of all it's fun!

stark
19-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Yep to the above,

Also, it is a very good excuse for sitting and contemplating ones naval. The real hunter types may not be cognitive of the moments when turning inward and reflecting that the fact of the matter is that they are relaxing and enjoying themselves.

BS, but sounds nice.

Cheers
John

drevil
19-03-2004, 10:33 AM
So I can end up smelling like fish

Lucky_Phill
19-03-2004, 12:19 PM
Going fishing gives me a good excuse to ' use the boat '. ??? ::) ???

Chris hit the nail on the head here. Good info. get him out there.

Phill

michael_Brewer
19-03-2004, 12:25 PM
DUDE!!! I go fishin to avoid 1000 word assignments!!! where are your priorities??? at least the essays on fishin I guess :-/
cheers ;D
Mick

basserman
19-03-2004, 12:28 PM
just get him out there with rob aka mackmualer and get him a sail no prob then with the 1000 words the hardest thing would to get him to shut up about it!

bay_firey
19-03-2004, 02:55 PM
Just to relax, catching fish or not, although it is always better to bring home a feed.
It is just so relaxing, watching the sun as it sets along the river and the feeling of calm that comes at dusk and just after

basserman
19-03-2004, 04:37 PM
firey you forgot to say as the sun set the mozzies and sandflys start to eat your skin off!

Mundi
22-03-2004, 08:45 AM
Thx for the replies guys