PDA

View Full Version : NEXT NQ M&G WHITSUNDAYS

SNELLY
24-02-2004, 04:37 PM
Looks like everyone enjoyed our first M&G up here so lets start talking about the next one.

What I had in mind was Lucinda but others have mentioned Properpine/Whitsundays

If we go to Lucinda the accommodation can be Wanderers Village or the Pub. #The pub has what is called a bunk house which is basiclly two rows of donga's with a roof over them and a common area in between with shared amenities. Each room has a double bunk with single on top and double on the bottom and are air conditioned with a small fridge. May not be too good for families but there are other rooms or there is Wanderers. The cost is $45-pn so not too dear. You can make coffee there but there are no cooking facilities so you need to eat at the pub which isn't too bad most mains I think are less than $20- and they will cook a hot breakfast if you like. This would put most people together in the same area. Again there is access to some good reef fishing as well as Palm Islands and also for the Barra fisherman there is the channel. Robbo not sure if there is enough mother in law to keep your interest but others would not mind you cleaning them out.

Also with the timing here it may be difficult to get anywhere to stay between about May and September #due to the southern invaision

Krazy would you like to put up something here re your neck of the woods ?????

and lets see what everyone thinks

JON

krazyfisher
25-02-2004, 04:35 AM
as for the whitsundays accom is no problem and if people want to go there I can find out all info but there are many cara parks with huts rooms camp sites, also camping can be done on an island. the area gives the options of many types of fishing islands(with fish) 15nm or so to whitehaven beach, prosy river(jacks barra etc) and faust big barra.
As you have said snelly not many mother-in-laws but there are trout.
also the lagoons and backpackers

nonibbles
25-02-2004, 04:43 AM
I hear that the backpackers are real dirty fighters on light tackle!

I like both options but I went for wits/pro due to greater family options - would be like a holiday for 'em. Lucinda's great fishing and not far from TSV but its nice to go away somewhere like a holiday.
Also maybe cooler months?

TimNQ
25-02-2004, 04:54 AM
the area gives the options of many types of fishing islands(with fish)

There were fish at gould ;D ;D ;D :-X

But yea whitsundays is the go and the prices of accomodation at lucinda is the same as club croc in airley beach just about, $50 P/N. So im sure there will be no probs finding places to stay down there. The place suits the fisherman and the family, family can be droped on islands to spend the day relaxing by the beach with some cold drinks from the bar. Like krazyfisher said you can even camp on the islands, go to your marine parks office and get a brochure of the national park camping sites for the whitsundays, costs $4 p/p p/n. Im pretty sure from memory that most camping grounds are about $20 for camping around airley. Faust is only an hours drive away. Heaps of reasons to do the whitsundays. ;D
Tim

krazyfisher
25-02-2004, 04:57 AM
nonibbles
didn't think about the family options but yes airlie has that covered. the thing that I like is that no matter what the wheather is there is a fishing option. as an added meet up we could have a lunch on an island. maybe make the sunday a short family trip taking them for a island cruise maybe a snorkel and for the not family types a rest at the lagoons maybe some bird watchinh ;D

Robbo_Townsville
25-02-2004, 06:28 AM
I have the luxury of being not far from both locations so I am easy. Whitsundays is a beaut spot though and hard to pass up.

May have to take a Swedish Backpacker with me though to clean all those Slatey Bream.

Cheers

fnq_tinnie
25-02-2004, 06:37 AM
hi all
what bream robbo u just like catch mother inlaw.
so did u ever clean the bbq mate

hahahahahahahahaha

ps robbo if u go can go would scott and myself be able to bum a ride in your boat mate . and i'll leave u alone on the mother inlaw fish

Robbo_Townsville
25-02-2004, 06:57 AM
If it gets you 2 off my back I will give you a lift

TimNQ
25-02-2004, 08:30 AM
ah you beat me to it, i was gonna shotgun a seat in your boat again robbo 8)
slatey bream is mother in law ron.
Tim

Robbo_Townsville
25-02-2004, 12:21 PM
Did not know if you were going to be around Tim, if you are then you are in the boat.

Ron , Scott, pistols at dawn to see who has to swim. I am sure there will be plenty seats to go around.

TimNQ
25-02-2004, 12:52 PM
Of course ill be there, it will take me a 2 hour bus trip, a 45 min car trip, a 2 hour plane ride then another 3.5 hour car trip but ill be there for sure ;D. Oh and all that back again.
Thanks rob your a champion, and be quick with that mother in law photo ;D . Anyway i didnt think it tasted that bad and it gave us some action eh? just not enough for 'some people'. :-X ::) .
Tim

SNELLY
25-02-2004, 05:40 PM
So what have I done wrong here ????

Why cant we see what the votes are ???????

TimNQ
25-02-2004, 06:10 PM
You need to vote jon
After you have voted it shows up the results automatically.
Tim

krazyfisher
25-02-2004, 06:16 PM
just let me know if you need me to get details on different place for accom, prices etc

SNELLY
25-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Tim,

Thanks for that

JON

TimNQ
26-02-2004, 03:23 AM
ah bugger i shouldnt have told you, now lucinda is running a tie with whitsundays. ;D

NQCairns
26-02-2004, 04:16 AM
Robbo wrote
Ron , Scott, pistols at dawn to see who has to swim. I am sure there will be plenty seats to go around.

I will ski behind that race boat of yours, you wont even know I was there ;D. I voted Lucinda, whitsundays I would prefer, love exploring, it would be a 9 hour road trip from Cairns?

TimNQ
26-02-2004, 04:27 AM
I will ski behind that race boat of yours, you wont even know I was there ;D. I voted Lucinda, whitsundays I would prefer, love exploring, it would be a 9 hour road trip from Cairns?

Hahaha nice but if you want to do that can we soak you in tuna oil for a night and stick some tebbles in your arse.

Is only 6.5-7 hours trip nq, think of poor krazy on our last trip ;D :-X

NQCairns
26-02-2004, 04:48 AM
I have not heard of that technique Tim must be a Townsville thing ;D The mother in law technique??.The trebles would have to be barbless and stainless? you need more fishing trips away. :D

krazyfisher
26-02-2004, 04:49 AM
the drive is not the problem its towing a boat that makes it hard.
another idea what about a plan
1. cardwell (feb)done
2. whitsundays/prossy for the freshies(april)
3. lucinda(june)
4. bowen fishing classic (sept)
5. townsville (nov)

this way everyone gets a go somewhere a bit closer.
one north ,one south
what do you think?

SNELLY
26-02-2004, 04:52 AM
Krazy, so you want to go to Cardwell this weekend for the Feb one then ?

krazyfisher
26-02-2004, 04:57 AM
ok that was put up there as my idea for the years plan 1. all ready done

SNELLY
26-02-2004, 05:50 AM
Mate,

Sorry just being a smart A

The Prosy Dam one could be good and we could well get a fair few of the Southerners if they get plenty of notice.

SNELLY

krazyfisher
26-02-2004, 07:32 AM
snelly I understand ;D
with airlie anyone wanting to fish the dams could and anyone wanting to fish the islands can and just meet up later or have sat on the islands and sunday for faust as the early or late sessions are the best

nonibbles
26-02-2004, 08:54 AM
or pick a long weekend and do Monday recovery! (Yeh, I'm still buggered. Big sook)

Needmorerum
26-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Just to prove that I am in the newby profile, what the heck is an M&G. I'm thinking along the lines of Meet and Greet?? Sorry for passing on the lack of IQ. Hopefully it won't rub off on any of you.

SNELLY
26-02-2004, 04:28 PM
Hardcorr,

You are exactly right - Yes Meet & Greet - Just a get together to [smiley=gossip.gif]meet new people and share ideas [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Daintreeboy
26-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Guys I'm staying in Cairns this weekend but nothing else concrete yet. Will let you know.
Cheers, Mark.

TimNQ
27-02-2004, 11:09 AM
Do we have a date set for this yet? i want to get in early for some cheap flights.
Tim

SNELLY
27-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Ok, Looks like its pretty much 50/50 so what I'll do is propose a couple of dated for Lucinda and I'll let Krazyfisher look after the Prosy proposal.

I would like to suggest either March 20 & 21 or April 17 & 18. I have an alteria motive here as these tides are the same as the Hinchinbrook Barra comp. One draw back is that both of these dates have quite low low tides and the ramp can be a dicey on big lows as well as it is difficutl to even get back to the ramp at times right on low tides. Probably April would be my lick as the low tid is 2-15 on Sat and 2-30 on Sunday .

What do others think ???

SNELLY

krazyfisher
27-02-2004, 05:58 PM
well as for airlie I would have gone for april 17,18 that makes it about 2mths from the last one
Sat 17 Sun 18
Time Ht Time Ht
0309 0.73 0345 0.79
0928 3.56 1000 3.39
1542 0.52 1609 0.54
2155 3.32 2228 3.38

the tides are good as an early start will let you fish the run in smoko at high, fish the run out and return on the low.
this would be my pick, let me know what you think and I can find out about accom.
snelly
if it is the same tides as the cardwell trip I didnt like the look of the ramp at lucinda. why not do the next on south than back up north?

Robbo_Townsville
27-02-2004, 06:14 PM
Hi, Low, Left, Right, who cares, lets get out there and have some fun.

Cheers

AngelaNQ
27-02-2004, 06:36 PM
Hey guys i met most of you in cardwell. I noticed whitsundays was falling behind so i put a vote in for it since i will be attending. ;D :-X ;D

Robbo_Townsville
27-02-2004, 06:45 PM
Onya Angela, we might even get you out on the water this time hey?

krazyfisher
28-02-2004, 03:24 AM
way to go angelaNQ

SNELLY
28-02-2004, 04:09 AM
Krazy,

Ok mate you take April 17 & 18 and we will leave Lucinda for a bit later .

So over to you

SNELLY

krazyfisher
28-02-2004, 04:26 AM
ok I will gett info and post it as Airlie Beach NQ M&G

between now and then I will do a trip or two around the whitsundays to find some spots for mother-in-laws for robbo ;D

TimNQ
28-02-2004, 04:30 AM
YAY ;D awsome fellers. will give me a bit of time to save up for travel. So who else will be at this one?
Krazy you have some low tides down there. your lows ever any bigger?
Tim

TimNQ
28-02-2004, 04:36 AM
Hey snelly to save room just change the title of this post to NQ M&G Whitsundays instead of krazy starting a new post.

krazyfisher
28-02-2004, 05:18 AM
ok
here is the web site
www.airliecove.com.au/index.html
just to let you know I was told if you want a cabin where you can park your car and boat close please book by mid march
cabins from $55
camp sites $20
7.5km from shute harbour ramp
2.5km from airlie
and it is a nice spot with
Large Freeform Pool with waterslide, spa and toddlers pool
Lush grassed and shady campground
2 ADSL internet kiosks
Mod. spacious cabins
All sites have sullage
Full size floodlit tennis ct.
Lots of Shady sites
Linen Hire
Childrens Playground with swings, slide and cubbyhouse
Mini Market
TV and Video Room
Cruise Booking Service
All sites have TV connection
All weather Barbecue Gazebo (free gas) NOTE FREE robbo and tim I think these have to be cleaned ;D
Polynesian style camp kitchen with all mod.conv.
Modern Laundry
Spacous and modern Amenities Block
Disabled Facilities
Babies Bathroom
All sites have concrete slab

17 and 18th april just note this is the last weekend of school holidays looks like it would be good for families too

krazyfisher
28-02-2004, 05:55 AM
Sat 21 Sun 22 Mon 23 Tue 24 Wed 25 Thu 26 Fri 27
Time Ht Time Ht Time Ht Time Ht Time Ht Time Ht Time Ht
Time Ht Time Ht
0530 0.54 0606 0.71
1137 6.05 1211 5.79
1811 0.70 1842 0.85
2359 5.05 1912 1.06
this was the tides for mackay the same weekend as cardwel m&g
airlie is alot smaller the following was for the same weekend at shute harbour
Sat 21 Sun 22
Time Ht Time Ht
0450 0.41 0529
1129 3.93 1203
1749 0.70 1823
2346 2.98

fnq_tinnie
29-02-2004, 04:10 AM
hi one and all

count me in boys and girls
miss can't make up her mind if she leaves it to long she'll miss out.
ok robbo i'll go out in the speed boat with u not a problem mate.
just don't take me were the mother inlaws ars bitting hahahahaha

ps who can't spell whitsundays

Robbo_Townsville
29-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Jesus Ron, can't wait to throw you over when we are out a few miles. P.S. Scott and Snelly told me to say it so just watch your back bro. lol

Looking forward mate to another trip out at Cardwell/Lucinda before the Whitsundays. Just so happens I have an acquaintance that has a big caravan permanently situated at
Lucinda. He even has a bigger boat than the caravan (giddy up batman).

Keep you guys posted

SNELLY
29-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Ron !!!!

Is that better !!!!!!!

Robbo_Townsville
29-02-2004, 04:36 PM
What did I do or say wrong Snelly?

Anyway what the hell is eveyones real name,

Robbo Townsville is Brett
NQ Cairns is Scott
FNQ Tinnie(if hwe ever lives long enough) is Ron
Snelly is ( to many drinks that night.... sorry)
Krazy (ahhh who gives a f...)

and the other guys let me know, sorry fellas , memory like a sive.

SNELLY
29-02-2004, 04:54 PM
Robbo, You didn't do or say anything wrong I was just responding to FNQ Tinnie AKA Ron about his comment that I cant type - as far as I'm concerned I can spell - just cant type

Snelly - First name JON

P.S Robbo - Wait till ya see the Pics of Today Trevors on FLY - You'll want to have a Daintree M&G next !!!!

Robbo_Townsville
29-02-2004, 05:17 PM
You bastard Jon.

Let me know when you guys are aready to have another go at Otter or surrounding reefsw..

Cheers with Rum and Coke Glasses ON

NQCairns
29-02-2004, 05:38 PM
Hey Robbo, where is that pic you promised, Ron told me he is really close to his MIL but she lives a few thousand km away, Please put him out of his misery, the pic he keeps in his wallet is getin pretty tattered ;D ;D ;D

Jon, two saturdays in a row, two successful trevor adventures on fly in a row, next saturday?whats the next step up in fly circles bluefin? :) Where will you be posting the pics?nq

Robbo_Townsville
29-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Mother-in-Laws, Bitch faces, Cows, Christ almightys, and -anything else you like to call them pictures should be posted early next week my fellow fishy people.

Ron!!!! eat shit........and die........ lol

Brett

Brett_Hoskin
01-03-2004, 06:59 AM
Whitsundays .mmmmmm.........only an hour and abit from home. I am sure I can find a client to visit up there on the Friday who wants to have a look at my boat ;D ;D

SNELLY
02-03-2004, 04:31 AM
NQ,

I'm still waitng on the Photo's -

Where would you like me to put them ?

fnq_tinnie
02-03-2004, 04:39 AM
thanks scott

hey robbo just post a date i'll be there

yeah robbo snellys missed type whitsundays thats all mate

yeah always got and eye scott and snellys,robbo

NQCairns
02-03-2004, 04:50 AM
Sorry Ron Just muckin ;D,

Snelly,
Wherever you want, just dont want to miss out, Interested to see what species of tuna you would have been hooking up to so close in.nq

SNELLY
02-03-2004, 05:54 AM
NQ

Mackerel Tuna - We should also be getting Longtails ( Northern Bluefin ) as well at this time of year but have not sighted any as yet

SNELLY

SNELLY
02-03-2004, 10:20 AM
Hey Robbo !!!!!!!!!!!

There is one of your mates - Or did you slip down there in cogneato #- Have a look at Fishing Reports - Bay Trip (Sunday) #- wanting a fish ID - Thought you would be best credentialed for this #LOL

Robbo_Townsville
02-03-2004, 03:29 PM
Don't even need to look.

Cheers

krazyfisher
02-03-2004, 05:15 PM
robbo
atleast I tried to help you if you would have just thrown it back none of this would have happened ;D

SNELLY
03-03-2004, 04:37 AM
And then he had to BBQ it and make out that it tasted good !!!!!!!!!!!!!

NQCairns
03-03-2004, 05:29 AM
Jon,
Those Mac tuna are unique fighters and a bucket load of fun pound for pound, did you land many? Northern Blue Fin would be another species I have yet to see boated, when they are in up here and in close are they in any numbers?
Bloody rain is getting tiresome, would have had the reef boat on the trailer for the first time by today, looks like we might have another possible TC brewing yoo hoo (not).nq

SNELLY
03-03-2004, 05:49 AM
NQ,

Got Three Mack Tuna #and my deckie broke 3 off as well as the Trevors - One Double hook up

Longtails can come in big numbers but can also be hit and miss - Knigs point around this time of year usually has plenty when the bait is there

Robbo_Townsville
03-03-2004, 04:35 PM
Long awaited photos boys, crappy scanning of the photo sorry. Crappy fish anyway but they were fun.

SNELLY
04-03-2004, 03:54 AM
The one from Brizzy was bigger !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robbo_Townsville
04-03-2004, 04:54 AM
The other one was a fair bit bigger but it flicked around just as Tim took the photo. Not worth the bother.

Hoping to get out this weekend to wet a line.

SNELLY
04-03-2004, 05:04 AM
Neither were worth the bother were they ?????????

As far as this weekend is concerned KEEP HOPING !!!!!!!!

The worst thing about wet weekends - Oh sorry you're from Townsville so you don't know what they are - is that my fly box gets too big.

NQCairns
04-03-2004, 08:54 AM
G'Day Rob, I am probably them most inexperienced GBR fisherman around, I would have kept it for the barbie too, MILs gotta be on a par with Tailor as a table fish and I have eaten many Taylor. Your fish was 1.5 foot bigger than anyone else brought back that day. ;D
If my run of quality fish caught on trips doesn't improve, I will be joining your club soon I am sure. Just look at how many fish Snelly throws back :D. TimNQ has he left for SEQ yet? nq #

Robbo_Townsville
04-03-2004, 09:20 AM
Yeah I think so, if not Tim give me a yell if you wanna wet a line this weekend.

kc
04-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Bit of useful info for anyone planning the Whitsunday M & G. Tides are too big for Prossy river that weekend...which has been having its best barra season in memory.
Dam has been quiet of late and doesn't fish well during SE winds.

Islands fishing well with some nice spanish around and always a few trout.
If it's blowing SE at anthing over 15 to 20 the islands are a bit hard but the "Inlet"and "Repulse Creek" in Repulse Bay both fish well on the bigger tides and you only have a short run in open water to get to them.

Anyone without a boat or worrying about towing call Phil from Tropic Car Hire. He has a couple of Quinny top enders $.75 and $.55 really well set up with decent motors, sounders, bait well and all the bells and whistles as hire boats (about $150 a day)

I have worked as a guide here for a couple of years and would be happy to do an area brief when you get here.

Lots of accom and those you are mentioning are all OK.

Really need 5 to 10 or light NE to get the best out of all options.

Regards

KC

krazyfisher
04-03-2004, 04:40 PM
kc
5-10 would be good but hey whats the chance ;D
would be good to get some local info

SNELLY
05-03-2004, 04:34 PM
Nq & Gang,

Here is my one of my Mack Tuna from last weekend

Have a look under Fly Chat for one of the Trevors

Snelly

nonibbles
06-03-2004, 11:49 AM
Unless things improve, I might have to give this one a miss guys. Money not even hitting my pocket at the moment, just flying out the window (Bills, and other crises). Probably have to wait until we do the Townsville M&G eventually. I was really looking forward to this one too. See what the treasury says closer to the day, I might be able to hitch along with someone (?) and share the costs but in the end probably not.
By the way, nice fish Snelly, how did you find the mack tuna? Was it bustin school's or a random searching cast? I've only caught them accidently whilst trolling laser pros. Good bait/berley though I've been told are pretty good sushimi. Did he swim away?

SNELLY
06-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Paul,

They were in schools feeding on the surface.

They swim away no problems if you get them in fast and relaease them quickly. Excellent berley and also one of the best Trout baits if used fresh. Not sure on eating but a mate was recently in New Cal and they swaped one for 8 Beers - I know what I'm going to do if I ever go there.

Not trying to take away from the Whitsundays show but will look at Lucinda or Cardwell for March 20 & 21'

Snelly

TimNQ
07-03-2004, 04:53 AM
Hey fellers. yea im in SEQ and the weather has been shit. i tried having a fish in the passage but winds were too strong. Dont have the net during the week so thats why ive been quiet. M&G tomoro so will be hitting the mooloolah river with zeeke and soft plastics. Robbo i wish i could get out with ya this weekend. good luck anyway, and as long as the fish tastes good to you then keep it.

Robbo_Townsville
08-03-2004, 04:30 PM
Well Tim,fish were not up to their usual table quality this weekend. Fished off Picnic Bay off Magnetic Island and only caught Grassy Sweetlip and Coral Trout. Cheers to the throw away gang (they know who thet are).

Mate,give those southern bastards some hell from me.

Cheers and look forward to catchin up.

nonibbles
11-03-2004, 06:13 AM
I'm a conservationist. #I conserve energy. #I tend to do no-catch-no-release.
I throw away a bit of tackle though. #Does this make the fish a take away gang?

krazyfisher
21-03-2004, 05:33 AM
Ive been away is it still a goer

TimNQ
21-03-2004, 07:46 PM
i wont be making this m&g fellers, cant afford the accommodation and travel costs for it all, so just spending a quiet weekend in townsville with the girl friend on the easter weekend. hopefully catch up with robbo for a fish around maggie somewhere. Ill pm you robbo and let you know when ill be getting there and when ill be cool for a trip. Just hope you can find time being the easter weekend.
Hope yous all have a good time at the whitsundays, catch us plenty of MIL's, send the fillets down on a crate.
Tim

nonibbles
22-03-2004, 06:58 AM
Tim, if robbo can't do it I'm always looking for someone else to come out in the boat, pm me & I'll see what I can do.

NQCairns
22-03-2004, 09:54 AM
I will miss out on this one. I have a busy family period coming up. Hope you guys enjoy yourselves and brain those fish, cheers nq

TimNQ
22-03-2004, 11:55 AM
cheers nonibbles. Even if rob can do it you should come out aswell anyway. Would be a good day if we could get a few people together. Thanks again.
Tim

nonibbles
22-03-2004, 03:26 PM
sure, I'd like that. Keep in touch

Robbo_Townsville
23-03-2004, 11:27 AM
Hi guys, will be on call over the Easter weekend so as long as I stay in mobile ph range I can go fishing (Bloody work).