PDA

View Full Version : Question Fish Sizes Qld

jaybee
24-03-2004, 09:42 AM
I know if i go into NSW and catch legal squire down there they are illegal up here. however my question concerns abalone with the way the law operates. Just recently i spotted a new seafood market in the area, and they had live abalone for sale, these abalone would be lucky to be 5 cms across, in NSW the law is 11.5 cm. So can this shop legally sell 5 cm abalone in QLD, seeing there is no mention of abalone in the regulations, and if so, how come the same law doesnt apply to fish we catch interstate, which would be undersize up here. hope i have provided enough info and made sense of the question.
cheers
joe.

bugman
24-03-2004, 09:47 AM
JB,

It's the same for every state. In Tassie you can sell crayfish that are 75mm long on the carapiece IF THEY COME FROM WA OR SA. The legal measurement for Tassie crays is 110 or 105 male or female.

Every state has their own regulations and the ability to enforce them - that's what federalism is all about.

Brett

jaybee
24-03-2004, 11:06 AM
think it sucks brett should be one common law for all states just like a drivers license
cheers
joe

firetruck
24-03-2004, 11:09 AM
Hey brett you seem to know a fair bit about the regulations, have you worked in the area or just follow it out of interest?

basserman
24-03-2004, 11:56 AM
i belive that they farm abolonie in south oz now to so that could would make abit of diffence

bugman
24-03-2004, 12:37 PM
Firetruck,

I'm no expert on the regs mate, In fact I know a whole heap less than I'd like to.

Few years ago decided to get involved rather than shouting from the edges and now I get to read a lot of the documentation for fun. I and a few others from this board have a limited involvement with fisheries in certain specific areas through the Management Advisory Committees or MACs.

Whether our involvement does anything is a question yet to be answered but at least we get a say.

Brett

PS Jaybee - you may have to dig up the "Father of Federation" Henry Parkes and have a chat to him about how his grand plan worked out in practise. ;D Other than that you'll have to wear it for a while I reckon.

There's been lots of talk in Australia about abolishing one tier of government namely States and dividing power between the federal and larger local governments. Let's hope fisheries legislation goes to the Federal tier rather than the reponsibility of around 1000 local municipalities. won't that be fun. ;D

Brett