PDA

View Full Version : moreton bay shark fishing

kingfisher25
15-03-2004, 04:42 PM
a mate and i are mad keen fisherman and would love to learn more about shark fishing, and we are wondering if anybody needs a couple of deckhands in the upcoming shark comp.
we are happy to chuck in some money for petty and bait etc.
we have our own fishing gear and are very eager to learn some tricks of the trade with catch and realease, tagging sharks etc.
if any one has any room in there boat and doesnt mind teaching some young mad keen fisherman than post up some details and ill give you a call.

cheers

kingfisher25

sominc
15-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Hey, om not fishing the tournament (unless anyone wants a deckie on the sunday) but you guys are more than welcome to join me to do a bit of landbased shark fishing around redcliffe, sandgate and maybe brissie river mouth basically anytime.

Cheers
Tom

kingfisher25
15-03-2004, 06:04 PM
that would be sweet
whats the biggest shark you have caught lbg fishing
what gear do u have

cheers

kingfisher25

bidkev
25-03-2004, 07:17 AM
Hi Kingfisher,

Can confirm that Sandgate and Redcliffe (jetties) can be pretty good for shore based shark fishing. I've had 'em to 80 kilo but I only fish an Abu (UK type) overhead beach rod with an Ambassadeur 7000 and 12 kilo line. This is a "trade off) to let me cast upwards of 80 metres from the jetty in prevailing winds. I fish a large squid and this seems to outfish even large live poddies. The guys that wait for the offshore winds there, float balloons with whole eel bait or stingray flaps on okker shark tackle and I've seen sharks to 180 kilo landed there.

When I fish the bay (Rous channel) I fish 40lb line on a Penn Powerstick and Penn 330 reel GTI reel. I have limited resources and this combo can be bought (on special) for as low as $180 at varying times. I reckon my biggest there must have been pushing 150 kilo but with 7 of us in the boat, I ain't gonna try and boat 'em ;D. I've had some really good scraps with *huge* shovelnose there and once got a leopard ray (them buggers can go) that must've been a good 8 ft across.

I've never drawn a blank since I got my boat (15 months ago), so they must be pretty thick on the ground.

kev