PDA

View Full Version : Fishers claim win in reef research

jaybee
24-03-2004, 10:07 PM
ABC News
Last Update: Tuesday, March 23, 2004. 1:27 PM (AEST)
Queensland fishermen say they are vindicated by the release of new research that conclusively links outbreaks of the crown of thorns starfish with nutrient run-off from the land.

The president of the Queensland Seafood Industry Association, John Olsen, says the research, conducted by the Australia Institute of Marine Science and James Cook University, has put an end to speculation that over-fishing was triggering the outbreaks.

"It basically confirms what our industry has been saying for a very long time - and that is that there's been an unfair emphasis placed on over-fishing of the reef for many of these things," he said.

"This very clearly demonstrates that the industry was right. What it means is that we can move into a serious program to address the impact of nutrient run-off."

Al_Macka
24-03-2004, 10:55 PM
CANE FARMERS are going 2 love this.........

IT`s no new`s 2 us in NTH N.S.W ......

CANE FARMS line the rivers down here ..... BIG RAIN,,,,, BIG SORES on fish.....

C.S.I.R.O.. MONITOR ALL CHECKES.......

BUT ALLSO RUN THE SUGAR MILLS

Kerry
25-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Oh no [smiley=huh2.gif] now they didn't point the finger without first doing the research, did they :-X Oh my what next ;D

Cheers, Kerry.

where_is_dave
25-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Man is a complex being: he makes deserts bloom and lakes die.

Lucky_Phill
25-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Fancy that eh !

No good telling the world about this. Stop the friggin run off ! end of story.

Phill

Fisheasy
26-03-2004, 09:14 AM
I heard another little story about the greens doing a bit of a trade off. ;) Has anyone heard any uproar from the greens about the extension of the wharf area at the Brisbane River mouth out into Moreton Bay? However, 30% of the g.b.r. has been closed to anglers as well as the grey nurse shark closures. You'd think seagrass in Moreton Bay and dugongs would be an important issue for the greens?

jaybee
26-03-2004, 09:50 AM
fisheasy: there is also a rumour that 30% of the bay is going to closed as well, and or closure of spawning seasons for different type of fish, i am for spawning closures, however, no mention of the amount of species to be included in the spawning closure has been put forward, so with enough fish entered into said spawning closure would also probably permit 30% of the bay closed each year, if even it could be on a rotating basis each year.
cheers
Joe.