PDA

View Full Version : sit on top kayak

basserman
24-03-2004, 07:49 PM
hi all i'm just wondering/hoping that some one out their in ausfish land could point me or give me some info on a sit on top kayak new or second hand
It must be plastic have self draining deck a good dry storage compartment a paddle and at least one rod holder
i have had a bit of a look around on the web but only have come up with some very basic kayaks and the only one i have liked was $2550 mind you it had a elcetic motor and very good fishing design
would love to hear from anyone that has done some camping fishing trip in the freash after bass or cod in one and how you may of had yours set up

thanks for any help [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

scroman
25-03-2004, 04:14 AM
Gday Basserman,
I bought a sit on top kayak from kayak world at West Burleigh (Gold Coast) last year and have had no regrets. It's a ocean kayak (brand name) model - scupper pro. Has plenty of dry storage, self draining, room for modified esky with trolling rod holders, bla bla bla. Paid $1250 new and had to go back a week later to order one for my wife!
They are extremely stable - mine has a rudder system which is great for drifting with a current or breeze flicking rubbers as you are able to steer yourself around weed beds oyster leases etc. Chased tailor and snapper on the inshore reefs in front of kingscliff and tweed area, trolled for flathead, live baited for bream, whiting, flathead and jew - all round fun.
It weighs 24kg and is around 4m long - easy to throw on the roof of most 4x4.
Try a few different models - there are quite a few being modified for the fisho these days.
Good luck!

basserman
25-03-2004, 09:47 AM
thanks alot that is whats i'm looking at
have you done any over nighters on it yet??

jeffo
25-03-2004, 11:31 AM
my boss fishes for mackeral and tuna from his kayak! :o last summer he hooked a sail but that didnt last long!

basserman
25-03-2004, 11:38 AM
yeh me and mate want them to chase bass and cod up in the upper reaches where our boats can't go
we have a 10' punt at the moment but figure we would cover more ground and be more movable in a kayak each
heres one that i'm sort of looking at and cost $1200

jeffo
25-03-2004, 11:42 AM
yep thats pretty much what he has!

jewies
25-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Try www.hobiefishing.com

basserman
25-03-2004, 12:04 PM
thank jewies tryed a few but all seem to be mainly the same ether full on white water kayaks or just plain sea kayaks with very little room and dry areas for the gear

basserman
25-03-2004, 12:15 PM
jewies thats the type i'v been looking fo now i just need to find a dealer and get a price! ;D

jewies
25-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Ithink there is one on the sunshine coast and one somewhere in NSW but not sure where

basserman
25-03-2004, 12:53 PM
asked hobie for a contac in nsw or just some in oz so here hopeing that i can get a good price

bugman
27-03-2004, 05:35 AM
Basserman,

I guess you've probably seen this site.

http://www.fishingnoosa.com.au/kayaks.htm

Bugman

basserman
27-03-2004, 07:14 AM
yeh seen it and can't belive it! what a kayak!
to let you all know i have decided against the electric kayak ($2600) and against the peddle kayak ($2150) bugman the nossa kayak is just a little more that what i'm after but would be great for and saltwater kayaking read it and comes with landing net gaff lip grippers more rod holder than you could point a stick at! one of the best fishing kayaka i have seen and one $1900
but agaist all that i have decided on a sit in kayak with plenty of dry storage and some good luggage straps in frount of the seat and behind and all i need to do to it is put a couple of rod holders on it
it is the Discovery from Dagger kayaks and costs only $900
thanks to eveyone that has helped and given there 2 cents ;D