PDA

View Full Version : Jew at Jumpinpin?

bidkev
25-03-2004, 05:32 AM
Anyone fished the Pin for Jew?

Nugget
25-03-2004, 05:43 AM
Yes - to sum it up - floods, winter, live bait, tide changes - lots of luck.

That flathead in your profile is over the legal max...

Dave ><>
PS - Oh and welcome to Ausfish.

bidkev
25-03-2004, 06:01 AM
Hi Dave,

I've been told that the area close up to Swan Bay produces. Is this true in your opinion?

The large flathood was used for bait ;D "I found it washed up on the beach yer 'onor. Honest! ::)

Thanks for the welcome btw

kev

propdinger
25-03-2004, 06:48 AM
lmao @ flathead

jeff

Nugget
26-03-2004, 01:13 AM
Yes anywhere along Kalinga Bank, the hole off Swan #Bay, Short, the 100 metre Bar hole, Koureyabba.
There are plenty of places just a lot of pressure.

If you've got nothing to do on Fri arvo, come along to the Tinnie and Tackle Show - I'll be talking about Pin jew.

Dave ><>

I love this pic

CHRIS_aka_GWH
26-03-2004, 07:42 AM
was that a surf girl, dave.

Look at the girth on it :o.

chris

Nugget
26-03-2004, 12:52 PM
That photo is actually a bit deceptive - it's not a jew!!

True story.
Bet you can't guess what it is?

Dave ><>

craigie
26-03-2004, 01:32 PM
Jeez Nugget, It certainly looks :o :o like a mulloway !! and a bloody good one at that !!

My only other suggestion would be is a Barra, but it don't look like any Barra I've seen ???.

Hang on ?? No it's not April Fools day.

Cheers
Craig.

NeilD
26-03-2004, 02:31 PM
It must be the biggest Teraglin ever caught ;D ;D
What is it? Red Croaker or something.

Cheers Neil

Nugget
26-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Keep guessing - someone will get it soon!

Dave ><>

mackmauler
26-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Its got a good keg on it :o nugget in scales!!! ;D ;D

my call...a nuggetjewfishumus ;)

Gorilla_in_Manila
26-03-2004, 02:42 PM
World's biggest tailor with it's white gill skin flared out. Dorsal fin doesn't look right toward the tail though.
???

CHRIS_aka_GWH
26-03-2004, 02:58 PM
my first thought was one of them little logan river perch

but on closer inspection the body looks a bit whiting like.

you are a mongrel Mr Downie - I was getting ready to leave work & now I can't stop staring at the thing !!!!!!!!!!!

seeyainthesurf,

chris

Nugget
26-03-2004, 03:01 PM
OK - here's a clue.

The photo has not been manipulated in any way - it is as it was taken - in the surf at night.
It is not a jew, it is not a mulloway.

Dave ><>

Gorilla_in_Manila
26-03-2004, 03:19 PM
When you say its not a jew, you mean not a black jew as well I presume.

Nugget
26-03-2004, 03:37 PM
No, not a black jew.

Dave ><>

jeffo
26-03-2004, 04:06 PM
got a clearer pic dave? i still think your pulling our leg... looks like a jew to me... id say a trag but they dont get that big. not a barra (wrong mouth), not a tailor (wrong tail)

jeffo
26-03-2004, 04:11 PM
yep lock it in eddy... its a jewfish!

Nugget
26-03-2004, 04:23 PM
Ok - another clue.

I said it's not a jew, not a mulloway.
But I didn't say it's not a Argyrosomus hololepidotus...

Dave ><>

jeffo
26-03-2004, 04:29 PM
so it has to be sometype of jewfish! your standard jewie is "argyrosomus japoicus" so whats the deal then dave?

mackmauler
26-03-2004, 04:29 PM
was i close dave ;D

jeffo
26-03-2004, 04:33 PM
ok seams to be a fish that is not from australia! ::)

Zeeke
26-03-2004, 04:34 PM
id say.. look at the shape of the tail.. 2 species of fish, very very closely related.. but one has a convex tail, the other has a paddle shaped tail..

Tim

NeilD
26-03-2004, 04:35 PM
I don't care what its called. I want one!

DaneCross
26-03-2004, 04:35 PM
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?ID=419&genusname=Argyrosomus&speciesname=hololepidotus
The African version hey?
"Distribution: Western Indian Ocean: endemic to Madagascar "

NeilD
26-03-2004, 04:39 PM
I said it was a croaker. I don't know the difference between the various types.
Cheers Neil

Gorilla_in_Manila
26-03-2004, 04:42 PM
A slight reference to it in the further reading item 2.
http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/ajaponicus.htm

Nugget
26-03-2004, 04:43 PM
Ok - I'd teased you all long enough.
It is not a jew or mulloway but it is a argyrosomus japoicus or argyrosomus hololepidotus #- #the same species - just different referrence sources.
(check the Aus DPI reference, Grants or NSW DPI - http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/rec/fish/mulloway.htm).

Jew and mulloway are coloquial names - It is a kob... - That's what it is called in the country this photo was taken in - South Africa.
And don't they grow big over there....

Well done fellas - despite the red herrings #you stuck to your guns...

Dave ><>
PS - I'm streaching the memory here but I'm pretty sure a croaker is a member of the Micropogonias family - caught in US and Canada.

and another kob...

CHRIS_aka_GWH
27-03-2004, 09:56 AM
... you are a mongrel Mr Downie - ...

i stand by my comment more now than before.

beware the wrath of the flying pilchard at the RNA lol

chris

bugman
27-03-2004, 11:49 AM
After Dave has had his fun with you guys,

My goal this year is a big silver of the Straddie beach. I've been trying to get one of those big suckers off the beach for a couple of years now during our winter escapades.

I've tried pillies, squid, yakka, worms, tailor and mullet for a total of two hookups and two bustoffs >:(.

This year you're mine you big beauty - I'm coming for you - you can't hide anymore -

Lookout for the Bugman

Lucky_Phill
27-03-2004, 12:14 PM
I heard a rumour, that while tossing lures into the surf for Tailor, with a little luck ( ::) ) you can hook ( jezz, that's a loose term ) a Mullet by accident.

Pin that Mullet to a livies rig and send her back between the break in the back banks. Apparently the Mullet is so scared of getting ' hooked ' again, it swims seaward into the Mouths of the waiting...............Kob ?

Phillie

Billo
27-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Hey Bugman , i have hit some good solid Jew on live tailor fishing off the Pin ..
dead low tide right off the point where the water usually rushes .
one of the pros told me when and where last year ..i only had 2 cracks at it , and both times big bust ups ...only fishing 10kg though .i hadn't taken my heavy gear over ...sold the fourby weeks later

thought i was into a beauty one time .....40 minutes later up came a god damn 7 foot long guitar fish ..bugger !

bidkev
27-03-2004, 12:47 PM
Yes anywhere along Kalinga Bank, the hole off Swan #Bay, Short, the 100 metre Bar hole, Koureyabba.

Thanks for that.

There are plenty of places just a lot of pressure.

Bit more now I'm going ;)

If you've got nothing to do on Fri arvo, come along to the Tinnie and Tackle Show - I'll be talking about Pin jew.

Wish I could Dave. Wife (nurse) working shifts and 5 kids to look after doesn't give me much time. The only time we all seem to be together is in the boat :) Thanks for the offer though and thanks again for the info.

I love this pic