PDA

View Full Version : World to watch reef fishing ban

jaybee
28-03-2004, 04:52 AM
ABC News
Last Update: Friday, March 26, 2004. 8:39 AM (AEST)
Marine authorities say the international community will be watching as Australia implements the controversial plan to ban fishing on one third of the Great Barrier Reef.

The Representative Areas Program, designed to protect the reef from over-fishing, will be introduced from July 1.

The executive director of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, Andrew Skeat, says Australia is leading the world in protecting its marine resources.

"Around the world people are absolutely struggling with protected area management in marine areas and this is an absolute first, finally we've been able to get by working with our community something that is world class," he said.

Lucky_Phill
28-03-2004, 06:26 AM
OK, that's fine. But no where near enough.

Has anyone noticed the amount of Longliners in Mooloolaba Harbour ?

impletmenting all these zones etc is fine, but where is the infrustructure to patrol and protect these zones.

Money spent of field officers instead of self promotion would be better.

The world is watching, Yes watching oil tankers cruise within the barrier reef inner limits.

The world is watching the run off from our farms provoking Crown of Thorns about breaks, reef degridation and sludge build up in inshore reef systems.

Yes the world may be watching. Lets not %%%% it up !

Phill

Barrymundi
28-03-2004, 06:36 AM
[impletmenting all these zones etc is fine

Hi Phil,

Where do you fish ?

Nothing fine about these zones. Up in the north this will close most of our inshore fishing areas

Al

bugman
30-03-2004, 06:32 AM
Phil,

Actually I was told last week that the longliner fleet in Mooloolaba has decreased dramatically in the last few years - I'll get back to you on the numbers - less than 4 I think - that's QLD vessels working under QLD regs.

Bugman

Lucky_Phill
30-03-2004, 11:58 AM
LESS THAN 4 BE *%$#@ 'd.

Yes maybe 4 Qld boats but there is at least , shoot, I don't know, maybe Tim or Jeff can put a number on them ?

The harbour has 2 or 3 new jetties to accomodate these Destroyers of the Deep.

As for decreased in the last few years, man, I fished this place, often, and only a very few years ago, and there was virtually NO longliners.

The reason they have decreased might have something to do with the fact that they caught all they could and it is no longer viable ? maybe ? Why else would a fishing fleet leave an area ?

Sorry Al, I wasn't meaning that it is Fine that these areas have been impossed, I sort of meant that the regs are now in place, so Policing of these regs is a priority. The Govt lays the laws everywhere, yet, policing of it falls by the wayside.

We make the Laws, but will not supply the States with funds to protect the Zones. So Basically, it is business as usual.

Al, would you be kind enough to post here the areas you fish and the areas that are now green zones. Sort of a large chart and show the areas you aren't allowed into. I would like to get an idea of how big the restrictions are for you and our friends in the North. Also to give me/ us an idea of the percentage of area you are restriced from and any areas you have to travel through to get to ' new ' grounds.

I would like to know the overall affect on you, that is, more fuel consuption to go to different places, different launching areas, target different species etc etc.

Cheers Phill

Barrymundi
30-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Hi Phill,

A problem I see is people think they are closing the REEF, as in hard Coral stuff. They are closing parts of the Marine Park. One of the best areas for us is around the Palm Island group and the inner shoals behind Magnetic Island. These areas are good close spots to fish. Now we will not be able to fish there at all. Areas on Magnetic Island where kids fish - land based will be closed. The general public has been fooled with all the advertising about the protection of the REEF. Traveling 40nm to the Reef is out of the question for most boats. The water between Townsville and the Reef is unprotected and can get pretty nasty. We need to travel more and putting more pressure on the areas that are open.
The disappointing part about the passing of this through the Senate is NOT ONE ###### politician voted against it.

Al