PDA

View Full Version : The Fishing Party (Qld)

kc
23-03-2004, 06:56 AM
After some time talking about it and gathering info and feedback a duly registered and constituted recreational fishing party was formed in Qld on 12 March with a view to standing for a senate position at the next federal election.

The Qld party is a branch of the already federally registered The Fishing Party from NSW but has a seperate constitution and executive board.

For any intered parties (and that should be everyone sick of the political ignorance of our sport/lifestyle) I have a number of documents available including some draft policy documents, party consistution, brief bio on who is involved in the exectutive and most importantly membership applications. This can't go anywhere without the support and input of rec fishers throughout the state. We have all spent a lot of energy whinging about RAP, Grey Nurse closures and bad fisheries management practices and know full well both sides of politics are far more interested in andering to the WWF and greenies in the senate than taking any notice of "us".

Make I FISH & I VOTE actually mean something for a change rather than being an empty threat.

All information documents are available by e-mail from kc@whitsunday.net.au

bugman
23-03-2004, 07:21 AM
KC,

Without going into the merits of single platform political parties I applaud your desire to get up and do something about your convictions.

If everyone involved in recreational fisheries followed up with actions on their convictions - we'd be home and hosed.

Good luck - I hope the experience doesn't cost you too much financially.

Regards

Brett

aido
23-03-2004, 08:00 AM
will at least i know who i'll be voting for.
i wish you every success
aido.

kc
23-03-2004, 08:01 AM
Thats for the encouragement Brett. While we are aware the "Single Issue"party thing can be a problem we also think we can use it to our advantage by having a policy which reads (in part) "On issues not within our area of expertise or interest we will, in principle, support the duly elected government of the day". That way we can stick to fisheries issues and not get dragged in to media debates about tax, border protection, health etc which could make us look like looney right or ratbag left. We are only seeking senate seats which already have significant "single issue" representation with the greens (who increasingly are looking more and more "ratbag left" when they start getting involved in some issues outside their charter.

Anyhow, we will shake the tree and see if rec anglers really give a damn or just prefer to sit on the fence throwing hand grenades but don't ever pull out the pins.

"We don't always catch what we want when we go fishin' but at least having a go beats the hell out of sitting on our bum in front of a TV and doing nothing"

For those interested we have some very good people already heavily involved and still need a few prepared to get seriuos (rather than just being members) in Brisbane and the Gold Coast. Flick me an email for more info.

Cheers

KC

Jeremy
23-03-2004, 11:25 AM
I remember reading something about this in the fishing media recently. I think this is a great idea. A way of actually doing something rather than just whinging all the time. I think it was proposed that membership of this party would be $20 pa. This sounds very reasonable to me and I for one will be very interested in reading the supporting documents you mention with a view to becoming a member. I am sure Sunfish tries hard, but they seem to achieve very little for recreational fishers. I don't mind paying a few bucks if I think it will have some impact.

C'mon all you Ausfishoes out there, recreational fishers need some political clout to get decisions to go our way. Joining this Fishing Party is one way of creating some political clout.

KC - I would encourage you to post some more info about the fishing party here and hopefully you will get some more support

Jeremy

PS I have emailed you requesting the info

kc
23-03-2004, 02:21 PM
Thanks Jeremy,

By now you have the documents (and a bit of light reading in front of you). I don't have the "computer smarts" to post all the info which are "word" documents. These include a basic information sheet, list of who is actually involved at the exec level, draft party constitution, some draft policy documents and MOST IMPORTANTLY membership applications. Yes is is around @20....$22 to be excact (GST!!). All workers are voluntary and funds will be used to grow membership and ultimately for an election campaign.

What does $20 buy?? a block of pillies, a decent Rapala or Mann's stretch 20.

membership of the party may just be the best bit of "fishing gear" anyone ever buys. Without number it really goes nowhere and we will be left with the same outstanding levels of political support we have been enjoying for the last few years.

While not into conspiracy theories you can bet your life we are being watched with some interest by the powers that be & they will be hoping like hell we all just fade away.

It's in your court guys. The ground work has been done it just remains to be seen if the angler apathy that governments rely on has finally been belted out of us.

Regards

KC

PinHead
23-03-2004, 04:28 PM
""On issues not within our area of expertise or interest we will, in principle, support the duly elected government of the day". That way we can stick to fisheries issues and not get dragged in to media debates about tax, border protection, health etc which could make us look like looney right or ratbag left. We are only seeking senate seats which already have significant "single issue" representation with the greens (who increasingly are looking more and more "ratbag left" when they start getting involved in some issues outside their charter."

If Bob Brown is any indication of single issue parties then they should be banned from our Govt. There is no place for single issue parties and as for voting with the elected Govt. on any other issues then you might as well just stand for election with one of the major parties. The ideas may be fine and deserve credit, however, getting a bill passed without having to pander to the Govt. is really not what a political party should be doing.

Plus, anyone that votes for a single issue party really needs to consider whether they should actually vote at all.

Have a look at Bob Brown..a lousy 10000 votes and he has held the country to ransom several times..an absolute disgrace..but then again..the Senate is unrepresentative anyway.

kc
23-03-2004, 05:51 PM
I think Paul Keating put it best with his classic "unrepresentitive swill" comment about the senate......however that IS the system. We might not like it, might not agree with it but that is what we are stuck with and we either try to work with it or throw our hands up in the air and reach for the KY gel.

I take your point about single issue parties however people can and do vote for them because in the house of reps people vote for a government and in the senate they often vote for an interest group.

The point of this whole exercise is that the 20% of the population who go fishing are being ignored because the 12% of people who vote green in the senate are dominating policy debate and effecting our access to fisheries and continuation of this sport/lifestyle.

If you have a better idea or a potential solution to the issues by all means run them up the flag pole. We just got sick of being done over and figured this was the only option left open to us.

To date the media interest is pretty encouraging as has been the overwhelming level of support via email and direct feedback from the rec fishing community.

Keep the debate alive and this post up in lights....it won't happen if rec fishos really don't give a $#@%

You also maybe missed the very point of our "īn principle" support for the government of the day policy.

IFFFFF we get this moving and gain some momentum the major parties and old mates in the media are going to come ater us and try to make us look like a bunch of redneck gooses. If we can handle issues outside our area of expertise by saying....in so many words...that we are responsible, non threatening and will support the wishes of the majority who elected a particular government ie we are not a bunch of ratbags. At the same time "in principle" still gives us an "out""
when it comes to negotiating with the governemnt for the passage of a particular bill. They want to sell telstra as an example....the green have gained huge wins with this little gem....well if they want the "our" vote in the senate whats is in it for rec fishing?? Major funding for wild fish restocking, more ROFA's, major funding for juniors?? Get the picture.

The system is far from perfect but if we can't beat 'em (& clearly we are getting flogged at half time) then maybe we should play the game just as dirty as they do.

Food for thought!

I notice from previuos posts Pinhead that you like a good "blue" online. Mate, lets do it. If we keep the debate above the belt and at the same time keep people reading and interested it should all help the entire process of deciding wether this is worth pursuing or is dead before it even gets off the ground. At this stage however it is real, we are registered and if we get enough support to fund this we will be standing at the next federal election in at least 2 states.

Regards

KC

raefpud
23-03-2004, 10:02 PM
KC, I gotta say well done mate. What you (the Party) are trying to achieve is defiantely a step in the right direction, if not for politics in general then definately for recreational anglers as a whole. What the party does, whether succesful or not in the senate, is beneficial for the future of recreational angling. Being politics, there will be many many hurdles to overcome, and redneck tyre kicking tree hugging pirate communist facists that will try to knock you down aswell, but your efforts will be rewarded and you will gain the support of your fellow angler.
One quick point, .... you that mentioned of the 20% of aussies that go for for a fish..... dont count yourself short mate. I Have been studying marine resource management and fisheries biology for a couple of years now, and I recall some statistics that I came across whilst writing a report on recreational fisheries management. I dont have them on hand at the moment but it goes something like this " of the 85% of Australias population that live either on or near the coast, 3 out of five of those will participate in some form of recreational fishing at least once in a year". Its 2am and my brain is a bit strained so dont quote those exact figures, but it is common knowledge that up to 90% of Aussies live on the coast or its vicintiy, and each one of those people would either go fishing or have a family member that goes fishing. That could be quite a potential following your party could recieve. Now I could also blab on about the revenue injected into the Australian economy as a direct result of the recreational fishing sector, but I wont go shooting off $$$$$ in the dark. I do however have all these figures and details lying around on one of my bookshelves, so if you would like any of that information i would be happy to help you and the party and assist this good cause as much as i can.
As I said before, I have been studying for a few years now and I have a good grasp of Fisheries and Marine Resource management, marine biology and environmental law, so again if i can be of any assistance dont hesitate to contact me.
Raef

PinHead
24-03-2004, 01:02 AM
"I notice from previuos posts Pinhead that you like a good "blue" online"

There ya go..your first mistake of politics..do not make assumptions..they can create major problems. I cannot recall where I have started any blues..I respond to posts with my opinion as everyone does..that is what forums are about. If others get heated over posts then they can also state their opinion as long as they play the ball and not the man..simple as that.

Jeremy
24-03-2004, 03:15 AM
So Pinhead, the ball is in your court. You don't like the idea of single issue political parties - well what is your solution to better funding and other outcomes for recreational anglers in legislation etc? (do you need examples - 30% green zones in the GBR, exclusion of fishers from Flat Rcok, Wolf Rock etc).

And secondly, what have you ever personally done to try to influence political decisions, or maybe you just don't give a stuff?

Jeremy

bugman
24-03-2004, 04:41 AM
AAHH politics - nothing like mixing fishing and politics to bring the best out in people.

KC, you'll definitely have your hands full mate. Last Senate round the Greens in Queensland recieved 71,102 votes or 3.31% and still failed to win a seat.

Take a look at:
http://www.aph.gov.au/library/handbook/elections/senate/summary.htm

Or for the individual candidates:
http://www.aph.gov.au/library/handbook/elections/senate/candidates_qld.htm

Your best best is to get as many candidates as possible to run to try and get your overall percentage up. And remember we're talking about first votes or number 1 votes here - not preference votes.

And as most people would remember from the ballot paper - filling in below the line is an absolute nightmare. My guess is you'll probably need around 100,000+ primary votes to gain 1 seat.

Can you send me as much info on the party as you've got - I'll see what I can do for you.

Good luck

Brett

kc
24-03-2004, 04:51 AM
Hi again,

Raef any useful info can be sent to "The Fishing Party (Qld) Po Box 1311 Airlie Beach" we need all the information and members we can get. Brett yes you are right. About 108,000 is the number. 65,000 gives us Australian Electoral Commission funding so that is our first target. We also have a target of 2000 members by July. This will give us the dollars to mount a highly targeted advertising campaign through fishing media, tackle trade and boating industry which should reach the vast majority of the 1 million plus QLD's who go fishing. As for how can you help. Join up. Get involved in policy development. Drag your mates kicking and screaming to a membership form. If we are ever going to get active then RAP and the Grey Nurse closures are the catalyst.

Regards

KC

PinHead
24-03-2004, 04:01 PM
So Pinhead, the ball is in your court. You don't like the idea of single issue political parties - well what is your solution to better funding and other outcomes for recreational anglers in legislation etc? (do you need examples - 30% green zones in the GBR, exclusion of fishers from Flat Rcok, Wolf Rock etc).

And secondly, what have you ever personally done to try to influence political decisions, or maybe you just don't give a stuff?

Jeremy

There we are...exactly what I said..playing the man not the ball. BY playing the man you are distracted from your ideals. Most politicians just keep on reciting their policies (except of course at election times when anything goes). If a politician spent all their time arguing with each and every detractor individually, they would go nowhere...that is why they do not do it. A basic principle of politics..stay on the path of your policies..do not be sidetracked by individuals.

What I have done to try and influence political decisons has nothing whatsoever to do with this debate nor does it have anything to with it whether I do or don't give a stuff. If you keep going alonh those lines then the Fishing Party will go nowhere.

Jeremy
25-03-2004, 03:16 AM
Pinhead,

you had better read wat I wrote again. I was criticising what you wrote, it was not a personal attack on you.

The point is that you have criticised an idea which might help get something done for rec fishoes and which some people have obviously put alot of effort into. It the idea of a fishing party is no good, why don't you suggest a better alternative?

Do you have a better alternative? Or are you just another armchair critic who isn't prepared to get off your ass?

Jeremy

Jeremy
25-03-2004, 03:18 AM
By the way, I should say that I am in no way connected to the Fishing Party, I am just having my say about what I see as a good idea. I did post my membership application yesterday though. There are alot worse things I could spend $22 on.

Jeremy

kc
25-03-2004, 04:39 AM
Welcome aboard Jeremy. The best part about forums like this is that they almost become a test bed for how to handle hostile media....and there will be some IF we get some momentum going. To date I have done radio interviews with ABC and 4CA in Cairns but had a reasonable hearing once we got over the "single issue" explanation.
If Pinhead has some probing questions or negative views I would really welcome them. Best sorted "in house" and if ultimately our policies, platforms and beliefs can win over the sceptics in our own back yard it should stand us in good stead for the mainstream.

At the moment we are developing a web site which will allow members to contribute towards policy development. All current policy is in very much a draft format and we need rec fishos to have input so we can come up with a range of policy which will hep drive the party and broaden its appeal to the majority of the more than 1 million rec fishos in Qld.

We also need enough members to generate the funds to get the message out.

Take what you are going to spend on bait next weekend and join up. Alternatively if you support the process but don't want be involved in an actual political party just send a donation. Anyone interested can have a look at who is involved in this and realise its dead seriuos and not a money makin scam.

I FISH & I VOTE....Will finally mean something.

Cheers

KC

lordy
25-03-2004, 05:49 AM
99.9% of people just tick the party box. I don't know anyone that bothers to fill out the whole ballot paper on a cantidate basis. KC which way are you going to flip the preferences?

kc
25-03-2004, 06:41 AM
Absolutely no idea and not for me to decide. This will be a decision reached by the membership when and if we get that far. I have already been approached by Bob Katters new country party about becoming involved with their organisation but personally have some issues with where they are headed, particularly as they are pulling commercial fisheries under their conglomerate of various rural interest groups.

What is interesting however is that only after a few days of going public,another political organisation is knocking on the door. Numbers (votes) is clearly something we have in potentially huge numbers.

Regards

KC

Fitzy
25-03-2004, 11:12 AM
KC,
Feel free to send me any policy the party has specifically relating to freshwater fishing. I'll have a read when I get time & comment accordingly.

Email fitzy(NO SPAM)@ausfish.com.au [remove the (NO SPAM) from the address]. * Emails from hotmail, yahoo etc are deleted from my ISP server.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

kc
25-03-2004, 04:18 PM
On its way Fitzy and frankly we have no policy on freshwater fishing. We have a few draft policies on some specific saltawter issues but really need people on board who have expertise and can have input into helping us develop a whole raft of policies which can encompass all aspects of the sport. Just to keep things moving to date from the 350 odd views of this topic I have had about 30 requests for membership applications. 1 in 10. If we get 1 in 10 from every fisho in the state we would have in excess of 100,000 members and really only need about 1 in 10 fisho votes to get a senator elected. Our ral target for membership is about 2000 so we are off to a pretty fair start.
Seems to me some policies platforms about funding of freshwater restocking programs, jumior deveopment programs, camping and baot ramp facilities and the like would be in order for our inpoundments as well as a lifetime blanket ban on commercial access to inpoundment fisheries. Ball in your court.

Cheers

KC

PinHead
25-03-2004, 05:10 PM
"Do you have a better alternative? Or are you just another armchair critic who isn't prepared to get off your ass?"

Armchair critic or not I still reserve the right to make comments as I see fit. Off my ass...I spend about 14 hours a day running my business so I am never on my ass (by the way..an ass is a donkey)..to be honest I have never owned a donkey.

The best thing any prospective party can do is stay well away from Katter and Co. ..not much chance of votes there.

The first and foremost thing to be done is to ensure there are sufficient financial members to register with the Electoral Commission (unlike Hanson)..then have some distinct policies.

Jeremy, are you against any marine parks and any closed areas to enable certain species to increase their numbers or at least try things to attempt this? If so..I would want nothing to do with any political parties that are against ensuring survival of endangered species.

Fitzy
25-03-2004, 07:45 PM
KC,
Got your email but haven't read any of the info as yet. Wont get time till next week.

For freshwater policy, I'd consider talking with FFSAQ. See their website http://ffsaq.ausfish.com.au

They are about the only group who are freshwater specific in Qld. I've sat of the board of governors in the past but am currently going my own direction on issues & agendas (can say & do what I like without someone trying to put a collar on me), however I still work with that group on occasion & do all of their website work. (which I'm behind on ATM).#I dont necessarily agree with ALL of their policies however they do some very good work in their field.
Can give you contact numbers for President & Secretary if you wish them.

If that's not to your party's liking, I'll consider some input once I read your info & get on top on other issues/work here.
Cheers,

Fitzy..

Jeremy
26-03-2004, 03:24 AM
Pinhead,

I have no problems with you expressing your opinion. I do have problems with people who criticise others' ideas without suggesting an atlernative. I think recreatiional fishers desperately need to join forces to form a united lobby group of some kind to try to influence the political process as we have been shafted by some of the political decisions recently.

As far as marine parks, I cannot speak for the Fishing Party, but my personal view is that I have no problem with some of these as required to protect certain environments or particular species. But I do have problems with one particular interest group being excluded (ie fishers) and not others, unless there is clear scientific evidence to support this. In the case of the green zones on the GBR and the GNS protection areas, fishers have been excluded but not divers or tourists, without clear scientific evidence to support this decision. This I have problems with. One out all out should be the rule.

Jeremy

kc
26-03-2004, 04:57 AM
As it happens Jeremy the draft policy relative to marine exclusion areas runs pretty much in line with your own opinion. IF evidence is available that warrants the closure of an area then we would support this closure ONLY if all impacts were removed. It is no good allowing home invaders(divers) to go blundering around, potentially disrupting spawning patterns, stressing out shy species (Grey Nurse Sharks) and dropping anchors on the coral. No good having big tourist boats discharging their sullage tanks or running over tuttles and then try to con the public that the reef/area is now "protected" just because they have kicked out rec fishos.

Also Pinhead you may have noticed we already have problems with Bob Katers organisation and have politely said "thanks but no thanks". The interesting thing is that after only a few days we already have another political organisation scratching on the door. We really do have the numbers to make a significant difference in peoples voting patterns come election time, even if we don't get up we still might make a difference.

Regards

KC

kc
26-03-2004, 05:07 AM
PS Pinhead.

The Fishing Party is already a duley registered and constituted federal political party having been set up and registered in NSW in 2002. The Qld Branch of the party, formed on 10th March will operate under this registration and can legally stand candidates in the coming federal election already. We have a seperate constitution and executive board but work with the NSW branch using the current AEC registration. The Fishing Party stood candidates in the upper house of the last NSW state election. All lawful, legal and above board.

I note from your posts that you are interested in the "fine print" so feel free to drop me an email. I have copies of who is who on the state exec, a draft policy document, a draft state constitution, some press releases and other bits of info which may head off some critisisms before they start.

As I said early on we do not want to be tagged as "looney right" or "ratbag left". We are seriuos about presenting a moderate and highly focused alternative party for rec fishos sick to death of being shafted by all the current political parties.

Regards

KC

NQCairns
26-03-2004, 07:54 AM
Well KC it seems after reading this string you do have the 'gift'. If you can placate Pinhead you can go toe to toe in any arena nation wide I recon. ;D

I have voted for 20 years and only once was I able to cast a vote based on what I percieved at polling time as a very real issue to me, also with the fair understanding that the reason for my single lonely vote would actually be honoured if the party won.
I see your new party as my first real voting option for all the future 'would have been seen by myself as wasted' votes and even many of the not wasted votes as well I am sure.

Within their elected terms all partys I have ever voted for left me wanting. I will always wonder whether they actually needed or cared about my single lonely vote or where or why it came from me, your party will clear that issue.

If or when I do cast for The Fishing Party at any election I will now be able to feel like I did make a real difference relative to any political experience I have had in the past.
To have this option $22 is an absolute bargain to help it happen and to keep it.

Happy to read you will not be associating with the Commercial Fishers, that distance will be the Partys identity and credibility in the years to come.

Thanks for the good work so far KC much appreciated.

I will email soon for your package. I hope everyone here also jumps on the wagon, I will be putting it to everybody I can.

Regards Scott.

Feeling a bit warm N fuzzy #::)

PS When can I plaster the cars and boats in stickers? what about
"Use it or lose it - vote The Fishing Party" #as just one :).

kc
26-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Thanks Scott,

My "warm & fuzzy" was when I opened the mailbox today to a heap of membership applications.

I like the slogan for the bumper sticker....has a nice ring to it!!

Bumper stickers will come in due course. We have set a $40,000 budget (2000 members) for an election campaign. More members will just grow this process.

Also anyone else with any negative views please express them. Better we sort these out "in house" than in public. Ideally we can collectively come up with a party structure and set of policies which will give us the broadest possible appeal to rec fishers. I did get an e-mail from Cairns a while ago which went along the lines that "every time we go fishing we don't always catch exactly what we want but it beats the hell out of not having a go in the first place".....If we treat policy development with the same attitude we take with us for a day on the water,we might just be starting something which actually makes a difference

Regards

KC

NQCairns
26-03-2004, 12:34 PM
With the RAP just passing an important parliamentary step and not one word outspoken in defence of every fair minded rec fisherman or any other shafted stakeholder from any Senator!! ...none!!!.

GBRMPA I believe dismissed thousands of RAP submissions because the content and views contained did not support their ideal, I am sure everyone of those people would like their voice back. nq

PinHead
26-03-2004, 01:31 PM
I gotta love some of these comments...you cannot have an opinion against something unless you have an alternative. Where does this leave most people ?

Placate me? I have not even been the slightest bit agitated to require placating..LOL

Negative Views? Does that mean that if someone disagrees with you then that is a negative view.

Let's be serious..if by some fluke of electoral magic a Fishing Party candidate is elected to the Senate then does that Senator really think he/she has a mandate to make decisions regarding all anglers? As I said previously, I do not believe the Senate should even exist in its present form and people like Bob Brown only add essence to that outlook. It is unrepresentative and totally ridiculous at this stage in time.

imnotoriginal
26-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Good luck mate
Joel

RASA
26-03-2004, 04:10 PM
Congratulations KC and your team
Who said politics and fishing don't mix, without that fish infested water, pollies would not have anything to put in the scotch (s) or gurgle about would they and the $3 billion we contribute to their lifestyle each year with little return would make a grown politician cry if it was gone.

Looks like you have taken on a big job but hey somebody has to light the fuse or kick out the barstool. One issue, two issue party who cares as long as there is success and maybe for once the green side will have an opponent. You can't do any worse than some of the elected reps we've had in our governments.

I notice that the negative comments don't offer any policy suggestions or ideas but rather confirm the apathy of why the Bob Browns get elected in the first place. Imagine if he were running the country. Go get him!

The negative comments could have suggested that maybe the river systems need re-snagging.or better tidal flows created for better water quality. Most of our Aus East Coast river and lake systems have a deteriorating inter-tidal flow with some closed up alltogether. Get the greens to open them up.
Maybe they could have suggested that the huge commercial take for the ever increasing demand for seafood actually put something back from the dollars received instead of the pointing the finger and the cheque book at rec fishers, now that might even be called a user pay system of proper meaning.

I hope it all takes off for you and some good comes from your dedicated enthusiam but take heart because there will always be somebody who farts in the crowd
Australia does'nt need too many Bob Browns but it does need the Senate and more than a two party system.

RASA [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

kc
26-03-2004, 06:05 PM
Thanks RASA but really pinheads comments are really helpful. If we can deal with "inhouse" critisisms and come up with constructive policies to answer inhouse issues it stands us in good stead when we launch this "mainstream". Pinhead clearly has some points. The current system is not real flash. Here we are, a user group representing some 20% of the entire population, being ingnored by both sides of politics as they chase the support of parties elected by 8% of the people.

To quote Shanon Knol....what about me!!

Single issue, maybe! Focused...you bet!! Any distractions?...none!! Any chance?...F%$#@ knows!!

At the end of the day if we are elected we certainly will not have a mandate to speak for all recreational fishers. Just a mandate to speak for the party members and those who choose to vote for us. If enough vote to get a senator up then we have a lot better chance to have our opinion heard than any of us just whinging about the state of the world from the anonimity of a web site chat forum.

For those supporting the cause don't launch into critics. Treat them as chances to get it right before we have to start dealing with mainstream media.

There is a great old proverb (which I know I won't get quiet right), which goes along the lines of

"he who wrestles with us strenghtens our resolve and increases our skills, our antagonist is our helper"

Pinhead, and anyone else with for or against opinions should make those opinions know and see if we can come up with ways to deal with these issues. Better now than during an election campaign.

The current crop of pollies certainly does not have a mandate to make decsions which effect me....didn't bloody stop them but, did it?

Regards

KC

Gorilla_in_Manila
26-03-2004, 06:31 PM
KC
In short form:
What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!
Say that to myself everytime I survive a dodgy vindaloo! ;) ;D

Best of luck. Seems you have shouldered a worthy (and difficult) burden; hope you get plenty of help to carry it.

Cheers
Jeff

kc
27-03-2004, 04:02 AM
Thanks mate,

But I'm not doing all the work by any means. We have a good group of guys in Cairns, a rep in Townsville, 2 in Mackay, 1 on Cape York/Weipa, 1 in Proserpine and 3 in the Whitsundays. All I am doing at present is "flying the flag" and trying to gain both support/members and some feedback. Over the next couple of weeks, Once we have a reasonable membership base, we will start releasing some policy ideas for comment.

No doubt that is when the "fun" will start as we try to get some majority opinion and form official party policy to go to an election with.

In the mean time I will just keep banging the drum...join up join up..we need you!!

Regards

KC

straddie
27-03-2004, 05:55 AM
Hi KC,
"We have a good group of guys in Cairns, a rep in Townsville, 2 in Mackay, 1 on Cape York/Weipa, 1 in Proserpine and 3 in the Whitsundays."

Would I be wrong to assume that the representitives you mention are either tackle shop owners, boating industry, fishing guides and others with commercial interests in fishing (not pro fishers) in North Qld?

The reason I ask is I find it interesting that you guys are targeting a federal senate seat rather than running as independants in a state election.

State laws cover size and bag limits, GNS closures, commercial fishing licenses, etc etc, in fact the majority of issues which a senator would have no say in. A senate seat would really only allow pressure to be placed on lets say something like GBRMP policy.

kc
27-03-2004, 11:33 AM
Hi Staddie,

Current exec members cover a range of professions including guides, tackle shop owners, boating industry as well as builders, real estate agents, IT managers and even restaurant owners.

We are aware that most fisheries issue are state based but as there is no upper house in QLD it is really a waste of time (at this stage) targeting state seats (in Qld). The only option open to us with any chance of success is federally and while I know that at a federal level there is little legal opportunity to influence state politics you can bet your life a senator is at least going to get in the front door when they want to talk to the state minister. It will also be a way of possibley getting some real funding (from the Australian electoral commission) with which we can do some decent research and PR.

This really is the last straw. Personally I'd much rather be sitting under a coconut tree with a beer in my hand but while the bright green movement have rec fishing in its crosshairs we either do something and attack them in their own backyard (The federal senate) or sit back and watch our sport go the way of duckhunting.

Regards

KC

kc
27-03-2004, 06:30 PM
For anyone interested (& out of bed early enough) we are doing a spot with Nugget on 4BC at 5.45am.

Regards

KC

dasher
27-03-2004, 09:36 PM
Hmmmmm just going to phartsac now so I doubt it.

P.S. Kevin post up as mentioned mate. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Jeremy
28-03-2004, 04:50 AM
A federal senator may also be able to influence political decisions at the state level indirectly simply by the level of support they receive. If state pollies see a significant number of votes going to someone directly in support of fishing policy, then they may think about making their own policies more attractive to get some of these votes.

Jeremy

kc
28-03-2004, 05:32 AM
Exactly right. Its always all about votes. When the conservatives in the Northern territory woke up that fact they gained enourmous electoral support. The labour party kept pushing the pro fishing line for election ater election and finally woke up to the fact that rec fishos had the numbers to determine a government in the NT and that is one state which will never sell "us" out because to do so is political suicide. Whe labour changed its policies to be rec fish friendly, hey presto. Straight into Government.

kc
29-03-2004, 06:52 PM
This post seems to have run its course. 750 odd views has been a pretty fair effort and the only real critic seems to have gone off to more aurgumentative pastures!! I have had about 40 requests for membership applications so far which again is pretty fair but by no means oustanding. At the end of the day it is pretty clear that "we" are the next target of the flouro greens.
The last great "bloodsport", and we either stand and fight or get ready to dissappear over the next 10 years or so and simpley cease to be as a socially unacceptable passtime (maybe we can all sit in our tinnies and smoke!!)

The ball is in "your court". You have a group of guys prepared to get off their collective arses (yes pinhead arses not asses or donkeys) and have a go on your behalf. All you need to do is put your hand in your pockets for a few bucks, spread the word and most importantly vote 1 The Fishing Party (FP) in the next senate elections. If nothing comes of this the beer is still cold, the coconut tree is still giving some shade and I can always trade in the tinnie on a set of golf clubs....just can't get the %$#@^balls to taste any good no matter how long I cook the little bastards!!

Regards

KC

Jeremy
30-03-2004, 03:37 AM
KC,

don't give up on us just yet. There are a few more things I can think of to keep the interest going.
1. there are several other internet chat forums. I guess you have already posted on there?
2. I suggest you contact all the fishing clubs you can find and ask them to run it in their newsletters. There are about 50 clubs on the ANSA QLD website www.ansaqld.com.au. I will be putting it in the next newsletter for the Brisbane Sportfishing Club. Then there are the SQAFCA clubs. I don't know how to find out about these but Nugget might know. There are also some other clubs which post reports in fishing magazines such as Bush and Beach.
3. Maybe target the Sanctuary Cove and/or Brisbane Boat Shows. A stand there? Handing out flyers? Even just sending current members a T-shirt with some info on it and asking them to wear it to the show might attract some interest.
4. Maybe sending some info to all the tackle shops you can find and asking to put it in their window. Their living depends on fishing, so they must have an interest in protecting anglers rights.
You have probably already thought of all of these things, and I am sure you'l get a few more members yet.

Jeremy

kc
30-03-2004, 11:45 AM
Thanks Jeremy,

& we got your application ..Currently we are trying to enlist enough members (about 200) to fund the production of a professional brochure/information/membership kit for distribution through tackle shops Qld wide. One of our exec members, Dave Donald from Weipa is using his extensive media contacts to drum up support and the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show is on the radar already.

Our membership forms are available at selected tackle shops in NQ and if anyone in Brisbane or the Gold Coast wants to pick up the ball and run with it just print out some membership forms (& the info sheet) and spread it around to your club(s) local tackle shop or just to fishing mates.

After running for about a week solid we look to have about 80 members so it is a pretty fair start.

Regards

KC

RASA
30-03-2004, 06:05 PM
KC
When is that Fishing and Boating Expo at Townsville
That would be a good place to get some members and some feedback wouldn't it

RASA :)

kc
30-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Hi Rasa,

Tye fishing & Boating expo in Townsville was the weekend before last. Our "man" in Townsville, Brian Pickup attended this show and handed out about 200 membership forms to interested fishos. Some of these have already turned up, cheque attached so we are having an impact. There is a big boat show in Airlie in early June (about 10,000 people) and we will also have a precence at this show.
The Sanctuary Cove show is the Biggy!! and hopefully we can get organised for this one.

Regards

KC