PDA

View Full Version : New era for commercial fishing begins today

nsw_fisheries
30-03-2004, 10:10 AM
http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/gen/news/fb_04mar26_new.htm

"This document has been posted for information and to encourage discussion among yourselves. For more information from NSW Fisheries on the issue, please visit our web site on www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au"

Lucky_Phill
30-03-2004, 12:09 PM
New era for commercial fishing begins today
26 March 2004
A new era in commercial fishing begins today with the start of a scheme giving commercial fishers long-term security.

From today all of the State’s major commercial fisheries will be added to the list of Share Management Fisheries under the State’s Fisheries Management Act.

The win for commercial fishers is that it guarantees their fishing rights – literally giving them a share in their own fisheries.

It is a boost for them, but also for the environment because it will help to make commercial fisheries more viable.

Under the scheme the fishing industry will have a major role in deciding how their fisheries are managed.

The long-term security of shares will encourage them to make decisions that ensure the future sustainability of fisheries.

Shares are the most secure fishing rights in Australia. Fishers will be able to plan for the future, borrow money from banks (which can record their interest on the share register), and sell their shares when they leave the industry.

The scheme is an exciting step forward for the State’s seafood industry, worth over half a billion dollars to the State economy.

Share management was introduced to the abalone and lobster commercial fisheries in 1995, with the remaining major fisheries managed under a restricted fishery scheme with annually renewable licences.

From today, the share management scheme will be extended to the ocean trawl, ocean hauling, estuary prawn trawl, estuary general, and ocean trap and line fisheries.

The next step is to finalise the criteria for share allocation and call for share applications in coming weeks.

webmaster@fisheries.nsw.gov.au | Terms of use including Copyright & Privacy Statement | Phone: (02) 9527 8411

Gazza
30-03-2004, 04:08 PM
No Fisheries THE NEXT STEP is to actually consider "loss of share rights" for any over quota or BLACKMARKET SALES , and include THE BUYER as an "accsessory(sp?) to the FACT !!.......
(BTW , your present actual fines are pissweak in Commercial terms)

Also , what's this shit about "their" fisheries , they're OUR Fisheries , we contribute a lot of money ,and do it for

Recreation NOT profit

banshee
30-03-2004, 05:41 PM
"It is a boost for them, but also for the environment because it will help to make commercial fisheries more viable.

Under the scheme the fishing industry will have a major role in deciding how their fisheries are managed.

The long-term security of shares will encourage them to make decisions that ensure the future sustainability of fisheries."

These three statements are just laughable,along with the rest of the crap Fisheries has writen in this post.HOW can snapper traps be a boost for the environment? Sea traps and nets are the most unsustainable form of legal fishing practised in this country.Then to turn around and give these pilfering bastards a higher degree of autonomy just reeks of leaving the fox in charge of the hen house.The only people that I have seen exercise restraint while making money out of fishing are charter opperators,I am yet to see a pro "leave them biteing" These people take what they can,when they can.I don't think commercial fisherman of any kind should be alowed inside the fifty fathom line.I think our bread and butter/sport species should be treated the same as the Kiwi's treat their Trout,you want one,you go catch it yourself don't go looking for one in a shop cause it's illegal to sell them.

basserman
30-03-2004, 07:14 PM
one thing i have noticed with the lobster share is that it only serves to push more pros onto the black market
hell just have a look at last weeks post about the coffs lobster bloke with un tagged crays ! >:(
i agree 50fath line or pro fishing useing rod and reel only! (apart from crays crabs and prawns) all of which could be farmed