PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel hooks

Dan_Muir
31-03-2004, 05:58 AM
I have recently brought a 3.9 mtr tinny - and I put a false floor in it myself.

When I went to Nuts and Bolts to buy some screws - the guy there said that not many people are aware that stainless steel and aluminium alloy do not mix? - well this is a new one on me but he looked up some kind of book and it definately indicates that stainless steel screws and bolts will corrode aluminium over a period of time - looks like it's not only sinkers to watch out for but also stainless hooks

Dan

setthehook
31-03-2004, 06:29 AM
Yeh he is right, i learnt that one a couple of years back when i was working on a pro boat. Wouldnt want to drop a stainless hook into a hidden spot on ya boat ha. So now what ya goanna do pull em all out and start again? :-/

Dan_Muir
31-03-2004, 06:41 AM
No mate lukily I got the word before I did it and used all aluminium pop rivets -

jimbamb
31-03-2004, 07:42 AM
Geez!!!
Do I have to pull the stainless bolts holdin my motor on the boat off??????
Maybee a Zip tie or 2 will do the job

setthehook
31-03-2004, 09:01 AM
yeh zip tie be fine, make sure ya pull it real tight though!! [smiley=builder2.gif]

Jeremy
31-03-2004, 09:47 AM
you can use something like a rubber washer either side of the aluminium to prevent the dissimilar metals touching. You can also use nickel paint which will also do the trick.

Jeremy

blaze
31-03-2004, 10:46 AM
Or you can buy a glass boat or for the poli lovers a plastic one

basserman
31-03-2004, 03:10 PM
c xzc3
sorry my son typed that ;D
one thing you can buy that "Inhibits electrolytic corrosion between dissimilar metals" (typed that off the tube) is some stuff called Duralac
cost anywhere from $25 -$35 for a tube but well worth the peace of mind :D