PDA

View Full Version : Help needed in Moreton Bay tuna research project

Nugget
29-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Kylie, an honours student at the University of Queensland, is investigating the visual capabilities of tuna.
She is interested in talking to anglers that would like to help catch some mac tuna in Moreton Bay.
They need the fish live - which makes it difficult, but there are a few options...
The first is for anglers to keep the tuna alive and drop them into the research station at Dunwich.
The other option is to meet Kylie on the Bay, and transfer the fish live - they have constructed tuna tubes for this purpose.
There is also the possibilty for anglers to go with them on their boat, although they can't travel too far from Dunwich.

They will be at the research station at various times leading up to Easter and several weeks during April.
If you are interested in participating - contact Kylie on:
0403 03 6850, or email her at
k.mcpherson@uq.edu.au

Dave ><>

mackmauler
29-03-2004, 02:50 PM
Calling Jeffo ;D

jeffo
29-03-2004, 02:56 PM
LOL... thanks rob ;D ::) i hate mac tuna! they are piss easy to catch up here... a few hours on the water would get more than enough dirty macs!

mackmauler
29-03-2004, 02:59 PM
Ill call her anyway, with that last name you never know ya luck ;) ;D ;D

jeffo
29-03-2004, 03:05 PM
hahahaha... rob if you head out to get some one day i shall tag along.. god knows i seam to atract those mongrel things! go chasing mackeral- end up with mac tuna ::)

sominc
29-03-2004, 06:22 PM
I would be keen to go ouit with them and give them a hand

sharkbait
29-03-2004, 07:18 PM
should take them a flat rock special rob, wonder if they have a tube to fit a 10kg mac. yeah thats right we cant fish there anymore I'm going to give them a call as it sounds interesting, however from my limited experience of trying to keep one alive in an esky it aint easy, they go spastic. anyway we should organise a mac attack ;D

Heath
30-03-2004, 03:49 AM
You guys will go out to get mac tuna & the mackerel will be biting their heads off.

You know its gunna happen.

Dylan_Rylatt
30-03-2004, 10:23 AM
i would been keen to help if you are serious in giving the mac tuna a go rob and jeffo

lol jeffo no mack tuna under your x mas tree this year.. ;D :o 8)

JB
30-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Sounds like fun, especially the "keeping them alive part" ... good luck with that. Most tuna wear themsleves to death in a fight, need a bloody big tank in da boat #;) ;D

I'm sure da boys will come up with a solution. (that or they'll keep the dead ones and go shark fishing #;D )

Im with heath, 1 sign of a spotty and the tuna catching will go out the window real quick ;)

mackmauler
30-03-2004, 12:01 PM
The research boat has tuna tubes, they wont have any problem keeping them alive.

damons33
30-03-2004, 12:13 PM
they should stick to the jelly beans, easier to keep alive or maybe tow them there on a theather? a float cage would be the best i suppose.

Big_Kev
30-03-2004, 02:00 PM
Rob I am keen if you want to make an event of it.
Cheers Kev. :)
PS . Nugget what is Kylie like on the eye. LOL

raefpud
30-03-2004, 02:38 PM
I think the kind of girl ur looking for would be an arts or business student, us science students generally dont scrub up or dress to impress like they do, we only care about how we look to a fish under a dissecting microscope. When I'm over at the research station next i'll have a sticky beak and check her out for ya.
Does a sexy white lab coat do it for ya?

jeffo
30-03-2004, 02:43 PM
LOL- the annual ausfishing mac atack! ;D let the games beggin! ;D ::)

nofrills
30-03-2004, 06:58 PM
gday all

seeing how kylie is studying the visual capabilities of the mac tuna maybee you's could pass on to her the findings of my own study ::)

they can see my boat approaching them at a approximate distance of 2 miles,but only when at idle with an excited angler on the nose.when im chasing other species and not interested in them i can drive on thru at 25knts without fear of them seeing me approach

they can see a slimy mackeral from a mile away but cant see a 8\0 gamakatsu till its half way down their throat.

they can definatley see better than a mackerel but not quite as good as a grinner,cause thats the general pecking order.

they can see the bottom of a boat from about 10ft directly underneath it cause thats about the depth the decide there;s no way in hell your gunna get them up.

they can see when you are not fishing for them and will nail anything you put out just to piss you off.

they can also see when you are fishing for them and can wait just out of range until they see your reel fur ball or your line wrap around your tip,at which time they will surface in a frenzy only to disappear when the furball is fixed.

the one thing they probably can't see,is why strokers like me waste time,energy and money catching them so we can spear em back in.

DaneCross
31-03-2004, 06:56 AM
Great post Scott ;D ;D I reckon you've done all the work for Kylie right there... Top marks! ;D

Dylan_Rylatt
31-03-2004, 11:20 AM
is it the person that catches the most mac tuna or the biggest that gets to win the girl.....

Brissyguy
31-03-2004, 11:23 AM
No fair on the Ausfish Mac attack comp...

Jeffo should be handicapped due to the fact he loves Mac Tuna ;D

Cheers,
Rich.

jeffo
31-03-2004, 01:17 PM
lmao at all you lads... what a thread!! hehehe. ahh geez

NQCairns
31-03-2004, 07:34 PM
McPherson eh!! there were some real cuties in my science classes at Uni, made it hard to concentrate sometimes as a mature age student :o.

Seriously I must be jaded now after RAP and coral reef fish rules etc, i wouldn't even bother to answer correctly my name if surveyed at the boat ramp.nq