PDA

View Full Version : four wheel drives

CHRIS_aka_GWH
30-03-2004, 11:49 AM
folks,

I raise the question as I have just purchased a Series 3 Landrover for endless pursuit of the mythical 5kg tailor.

I chose a '76 Landrover as it is not just a vehicle but a big boys mechano set - a project if you like. I am a firm believer a man needs his "projects" & something to yell at. This will generally keep him faithful & the home relationships peaceful.

HEY - ITS MY THEORY & IT GOT ME THE CAR - so vote will ya.

AND I know there is a very good Landrover chatboard but I find it hard warming to the idea of chatting to the very knowledgable Pauvel in Spain about his landy ...

chris

Gorilla_in_Manila
30-03-2004, 12:47 PM
Chris,
Good idea, but not sure what to vote. I have a 4WD and there seems to be a few posts pop up about them which end up anywhere between camp, wanted, for sale, general, accessories and boating chat.
Guess it would be best added to camping chat, which might get a bit more interest in that area. That way could become more of a fishing lifestyle chat area, and perhaps posts of fishing trips or safaris could get posted there. Other things that could fit under there is info or comments on boat ramps, and car related fishing accessories which I see occassionally but they often seem buried amongst the mono vs braid sort of posts if they are put under accessories chat.
I'm actually quite interested in the camping posts, but seems like the area doesn't get all that much traffic or interest from the majority here.

As for the 5kg tailor, my old man pulled one that would have gone very close to that off Waddy Point in early Nov last year. No photos and wasn't weighed but he isn't one for overestimating weights; said it went at least 9lb. So that might give you a starting point in your search.

Cheers
Jeff

Big_Kev
30-03-2004, 01:48 PM
I will be getting my 4x4 this week end all going according to plan.
I have had a heap of questions to ask and have had some luck in finding answers but a board here I am sure would have done the trick no end.(seems to be plenty of members with em)
There probalbly are sites around but I couldn't find anything that was as active as this site and related to what I want to be doing with it.
The site I found was basicaly mud bashing stuff and rock climbing.
All good if thats what you want.
All go for the 4x4 section I say.
Cheers Kev. :D :D :D

BJP
30-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Hi Guy`s, I`ve been looking at site for awhile now,(home page as well), joined up about a month ago, just never posted anything yet, but I`d like to see a 4x4 chat area also. cheers BJP

mackmauler
30-03-2004, 02:16 PM
Top choice chris, good for most things apart from modern roads ;D

CHRIS_aka_GWH
30-03-2004, 02:20 PM
bewderful lady rob !!

that's mine but its TELECOM orange & not a scerick of rust in the chasis. Did its time west of Toowoomba - time for it to meet the salt I say.

chris

Big_Kev
30-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Yeah yeah yeah.
Maybe you landy persons will need a site of your own.
LOL Kev. ;D

Fisherman02
30-03-2004, 03:12 PM
fantastic idea chris
obviosuly dont have one now, but will get one eventually and if there is a board where can pick up some extra knowledge then awesome [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
cheers jack

Kerry
30-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Oh my # :-X :o now these are landrovers
http://www.cqnet.com.au/~user/mattk/images\landrover2.jpg
and when the SWB was eventually fully air-conditioned (the roof fell off) then that was simply a mean machine. Rough roads #:o never saw anything else, why ya think the roof fell off.

But really these days some of the vehicles the urban cowboys take on the beach (apart from make ya cry but I suppose that's what they do on TV, hey ::)) who just have to have all the latest u beaut real 4WD gear really will never know what "real 4WD's" were really like #:P

Actually the winch on the front of that little guy would leave all these u-beaut newbies behind in the mud. Besides when ya only little you sometimes need to find a way around all the "big boys" #:D. # #

Cheers, Kerry.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
30-03-2004, 04:20 PM
kerry,

was that winch an engine driven one. I only found out a week ago that Landrovers could have those plant drives. Apparently mine once did - probably for use with either a powered offroad trailer or railway drive.

They really do have have some great concepts for an offroad vehicle.

chris

Kerry
30-03-2004, 05:33 PM
Chris, no electric aircraft starter motor job and that winch was about all that used to hold the old girl together. Yeah landrovers could drive an aux shaft either front or back but one problem with power take-off winches was when one is up to their wiper blades in water, there's generally no go power #:-[

Also some power take-off versions had shi... little shear pins that at the first sign of load did exactly that dam well sheer off #>:(.

As for "real" off road vehicles then this was one of the best,
http://www.cqnet.com.au/~user/mattk/images\hafflinger-1.jpg
not big on speed, about knee high to a fence post but could almost climb a tree sideways, the next best either had tracks or 6 wheels.
#

Cheers, Kerry.

bigbrian47
30-03-2004, 06:16 PM
what is that kerry the first landrover i drove was @ 11hp? on
private property @ forestry roads when i was a boy common practice in the scrub then
cheers brian

michael_Brewer
30-03-2004, 09:44 PM
nice lookin machines ;D here's ours!
1944 world war 2 Jeep! IT'S A FORD ;D
fully equipped for any situation, gun rack, shovel, hand windscreen wipers, cb, and the baby seats ;D
free air!!! and if ya lucky a meal of bugs while driving along the highway at night :-/
but still, am already convincing dad to sell it to me for a good price ;D

cheers mick

Kerry
31-03-2004, 03:50 AM
Certainly don't make Jeeps like that anymore, one of the workhorses of WWII. Actually after the war there were simply hundreds of brand new Jeeps simply dumped and buried. Would be worth a fortune these days.

The yank GMC 6*6 was also a classic, 6 wheel drive, duel tyres all round with the outside front tyres smaller than the main inside set. Chains around the rear tandem set (basically a half track) and chains on the front outside tyres only so one could still steer the thing but when things got soft then the front duels would get some bite. Bogged GMC's made a whole new meaning to the word stuck.

Brian, that's a Hafflinger and were either 2 cyl or 4 cyl air cooled, which might have been ok in snow country but over here the heat didn't suit them all that well, especially the 2 cyl version.

Cheers, Kerry.

bugman
31-03-2004, 04:53 AM
Chris,

Welcome to the club my friend. I've done my time in the series 2, 2A, and 3 and finally decided to bite the bullet.

It's extreme all the way from here on in.

Bugman

blaze
31-03-2004, 10:51 AM
The poc up the post of haflinger brought back some fond memeries, climb mountains them things will
cheers
blaze

CHRIS_aka_GWH
31-03-2004, 11:08 AM
not really a 4wd though unless they have a DVD player & reversing camera #;D

only design fault in the haflinger - no bullbar to connect rod holders too !

chris

where_is_dave
31-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Forget Landies go amphibian. $x$ chat area would be a great idea.

Zeeke
31-03-2004, 04:09 PM
nothing beats my old pajero.. sexy lookin beast here up in the scrub at 1770

Derek Bullock
02-04-2004, 07:20 PM
Hey

I support a 4X4 chat. While the bragging is going on I guess I should post a pic of the best machine in south east Queensland ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Derek

Zeeke
02-04-2004, 07:22 PM
GO THE PAJERO!!!

Gorilla_in_Manila
02-04-2004, 07:55 PM
Derek / Tim,
Get real. Get a real 4WD.
100 series Land Cruiser. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
If you happen to be on Fraser 17th to 24th July, PM me your plate numbers and I might stop and pull you out!
;D ;D ;D
Cheers
Jeff

Zeeke
02-04-2004, 09:01 PM
yea.. Landcruisers are real 4wd's.. they rust down to the wheels after a trip on Fraser ;)

Tim

Gorilla_in_Manila
02-04-2004, 09:20 PM
Tim,
;D
3 trips to fraser and numerous other beaches and still looking good.
Mind you, think it had about 1500km on the clock when it had its first visit. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Contrary to what seems to be the popular case nowadays, I believe a 4WD is for 4WD'ing, not just to pick up the kids from school and tell the other Mum's how comfy it is.
:-X
At least the wheels won't rust, coz they're alloy.
So if you are on Fraser during the above mentioned dates and see a pile of rust with a fat hairy bastard sitting on the sand with 5 alloy rims with oversized coopers tyres around him, pull over and say G'Day.
;)
Cheers
Jeff

Zeeke
03-04-2004, 02:53 AM
gotta agree with ya there Jeff on the mum bit.. also good for perving on young birds while driving along the coast.. now i know why they make Excels so low *peaks over the window*

Tim

imported_admin
03-04-2004, 05:56 AM
4WD/Offroad section has now been added.

Zeeke
03-04-2004, 06:27 AM
WOOHOO!

landy1
03-04-2004, 07:56 AM
G'day All
c'mon guys you know my disco is the best beast around. But i'll always miss the old series girl
Chris check out www.aulro.com.au very damn good aussie landy site with forum etc.
cheers
Mick

basserman
03-04-2004, 08:20 AM
if you want a work horse of a fourby that will go anywhere then the hilux is the go! ;D

Kerry
03-04-2004, 08:45 AM
Hilux :o well after more years driving a Hilux than my back can remember I just hope the new ones have changed than the ones we had from 1980 to 1999, they were rough back breaking little sh...

Cheers, Kerry.

Kerry
03-04-2004, 08:58 AM
Water hazard :-X this is a water hazard
http://www.cqnet.com.au/~user/mattk/images\melon-hole-verywet.jpg

and honestly the places some people put gates ::), like they must really be selective and look for the nasiest, deepest melon hole in existence. Like a few metres either way, no melon hole but why spoil a perfectly good fence without a gate smack bang in a melon hole.

Cheers, Kerry.