never had to cross a bar yet
thinking of doing one of those bar crossing courses
good idea or waste of money??

northsboy
07-04-2004, 05:57 PM
What is that???

banshee
07-04-2004, 06:14 PM
If you have a bad bar between you and your fishing hole and don't have any one experienced to show you the ropes I think it would be to your benifit to do a course with a reputable instructor.

caloundra
07-04-2004, 06:14 PM
dont know if you read 'bush n beach fishing'
if you do turn to page 18 Bill Corten from bris runs a course
has anyone done it or something similar?

caloundra
07-04-2004, 06:16 PM
anyone interested in teaching me the main points

searaider
08-04-2004, 01:26 AM
Hi Caloundra ,
I have been out with Bill Coreten on 2 seperate occasions ,
once on a Bag training Course & the other was his Offshore fishing Course .
The training is on South Passage Bar
I found both courses excellent & would highly recommend either .
Bill is a real down to earth person & one of the top fisherman in south east Queensland .
The way he can handle his boat Reel Affair in the Bar it makes you wonder if he wasn't a Dolphin in a former life .
He only takes 3 people on his boat , this allows for plenty of one up Training .

Bill can be contacted on Ph ( 07 ) 32863647
or ob e-mail : reel_affair@yahoo.com

If you do contact Bill tell him Pearlie Pete says giday .

Regards
Peter
Searaider 2

Hutcho
08-04-2004, 04:31 AM
Caloundra,

If you're looking to cross the bar in the passage, I know the Coast Guard takes people across and shows themt he ropes for a small donation. I'm up the north end of the passage myself, and wanna get on the back of their noosa cat for a spin to check it out. But I live in Brissy, so just gotta find the time to get up there.

hutcho

setthehook
08-04-2004, 04:51 AM
I have done alot of bar crossing,
Main thing 1st is put ya life jacket on before entering!
Sit back and watch the bar before entering.
Count the waves and work out how often there might be a break.
when ya see a patern happening and ya find that break inya go
i sit on the back of a roll or swell or wave and adjust speed so i dont fall back and i dont go past the wave.
And i ride it as far in as i can.
If ya end up in front of wave it will push you and turn your boat, dont want to be side on to the next wave!!
I also keep clear of the wash as you lose a large % of steering and power in the wash.
Hope this helps, im still alive so i must be doin somthin right ;D Come through some whoppas this year.

Jeremy
08-04-2004, 07:22 AM
I believe I know a thing or two about the Caloundra bar, having crossed it 30-40 times over 3 years and then going over on this bar just over a year ago as well.

The technique of crossing a bar is pretty simple, but it is much easier to have someone show you and take you through it than explain it on paper. The Caloundra CG will take you out in their boat and take you through it show you the back marks.

Make sure you are confident in the handling of your boat, you have all the necessary safety gear for offshore, and it is capable of doing at least 20 knots (to keep up with swells on the way back in). I'd also recommend a marine radio to keep in contact with the CG before and after you cross the bar.

Once someone has taken you through it, you can start going out yourself on small swell days and go from there.

Never take a bar lightly, even in good conditions.

Jeremy

dnej
08-04-2004, 09:36 AM
Try Impulse marines web site. They have a bar crossing video for around $40 I have the video , and it is very good
David

caloundra
08-04-2004, 03:15 PM
thanks guys rang bill heading out 1st may sounds light a good day out he even said he would show me where pearlie pete is

skippa
08-04-2004, 04:01 PM
Good choice,

That's definatly the best money I've spent on boating, you'll have a great day with Bill.

If I didn't own a Haines, I'd have a Cruise Craft ;D ;D

Cheers,
Tony 8)

basserman
08-04-2004, 05:49 PM
i'm sure rob will agree with me cross the bar flat out with alot of air ;D ;D (please don't it was a joke)

but for real you need to make sure and double check that you boat and motor are both up to the job
there is nothing worst to see than some bloke take his boat our that he hasn't given a good run for the last 6 mounth and motor up to the bar and give the boat some gas when the motor all of asuddne conks out on him
arms waveing and you need to risk your life to toss the tosser a line to tow him back in!
i always give the motor a good going befoe hitting the bar by going uop river doing emergancy stops and high rev starts!( i want to know anything wrong before i cross)
and if your indout don't go out! ;D
i have crossed some of the worst bars around and sometimes on the bad days and if you keep your head and cop it on the nosie or stay on the back then you will never have anything go wrong ;D

searaider
08-04-2004, 09:10 PM
Hi again Caloundra ,
When you see Bill saw giday for me .
I hope you injoy the Course as much as I did .
I know it's a bit in the future , but after the Course how
about either sending me a PM or putting up a post on the site of what you thought of it .

Peter
Searaider 2

bubba
10-04-2004, 01:20 PM
bar course great idea!! well worth the time and money. you may never need what he will teach u, but its great to have some extra knowledge. its not nice to overturn a boat obn a bar, have seen this first hand, do the course, and use ur instsincts, if it looks dangerous, saty inside. have fun.....