PDA

View Full Version : The missus,,,, is she a jinxs.

Cheech
19-04-2004, 03:59 PM
So who else has everything go wrong when you try to get the family out for a relaxing ??? time on the water?

I have had it all. Mechanical, weather, etc, etc,

A couple of days ago we had another bash at getting out for a nice family day on the water. 2 days earlier my 7 year old boy and I got over to Morton Island for a few very pleasant hours at the sand hills before we went fishing, so with similar weather forecast, we thought we would do it as a family.

So,,, we launched at Pinkenba ok and headed out, but after leaving th river it was just too rough for them, so went up river instead. This was the start. Then went to one of the few little beaches in the river and had lunch, but then when it was time to go (at the bottom of the big tide) we found out that the sand stopped right on the low water mark and the sticky mud started.

After a nightmare 30 minutes that left a boat shoe in the mud, we gave up the happy family outing and headed to the ramp.

Was rough heading back and partner and daughter were not happy with the bumpy ride :(

So at the ramp I thought, pull up on the ramp and she can hold the boat whilst I get the car. Quick and easy Right? Wrong! Was a battle with the wind so gave up and motored to the beach instead so I could get the car and then take the boat back to the ramp. Got out of the boat, and,, more mud!! Had never been at Pinkenba at full low tide so did not know that there was mud. Only ever encountered sand.

Got the car and backed down the ramp, went for the boat, but was about 50cm deep water and then the mud. So a bloody nightmare to try to get the boat off the beach into deep water to then try to get to the ramp. God knows how much mud I sucked up in the impella (serviced the previous day). :'(

Anyways,,,, we finally got the boat on the trailer and got home.

Am I alone with this problem?? Me and the boy,,, fine. The family aboard,,,, not so fine.

MY-TopEnder
19-04-2004, 04:30 PM
I know the feeling well mate...

When me and my little brother go out its always slick launches, retrieves and good bites.

But as soon as i try and organise for mum and dad to come out its a no go... they always have SOMETHING more important to do.

raefpud
19-04-2004, 09:18 PM
Theres an old japanese saying that goes something like this =

"fishermens wives and women should not be taken fishing out to sea, as mother nature gets jealous, and turns the seas rough and the weather unpleasant, and the catch shall be poor. To let mother nature alone flirt with the fishermen will bring a plentiful catch, pleasant weather with sunshine and calm seas" = and I believe to this day women still arent allowed out to sea to go fishing, I saw this on discovery channel by the way.

The other problem could be the presence of bananas on board the boat, as many an old sailor will tell you its bad luck to carry bananas on a boat.

I once took an ex GF of mine on a fishing trip to the Great Barrier Reef where we stayed at a luxurious island resort with some of the best fishing waters available.
I caught many many quality fish, but the last fish i caught was the best, so as with the others i had caught, i asked my GF to take a photo of me, my rod and the fish. She had done this task 35 times in the last couple of days without any problems, and as we were at the end of the film I was happy for her to retire her job as fish photographer - and she did just that by dropping my $1000 SLR camera, with a full film of top quality catches, into about half a foot of saltwater. Well that was it, the end of my Camera, the end of the film with 36 pics on it, and the end of the good fishing, as the weather started to turn crap and the fish in the water dissapeared.

My older sister, who has been convinced since I was born that i was a useless waste of air, somehow manages to fish the pants off me each of the 3 times in her life that i have taken her fishing, i would catch nothing, she would catch everything.

I once took a girl out fishing, and i was trying to impress her by promising her the fruits of the sea, as I had always caught many a wonderful fish in the spot we were fishing - except for this day where we managed to catch nothing but poisonous ooglies. Everything from toadfish, porcupine fish, stone fish and a happy moment. It wasnt such a happy moment when the fish fell off the hook, bounced around the boat and spiked her in the leg was it. So after about 5 minutes of screaming and crying we decided to leave the hotspot and head for hospital, only to encounter engine troubles for a further 10 minutes on an engine that started first time every time.

So yeah, umm, I can't say that women are bad luck on boats, but i do tend to prefer my mates, brothers, father, grandfather etc to accompany me fishing, and my girlfreinds to accompany to the pub.

SeaHunt
20-04-2004, 05:55 AM
Dropped a $1000 camera in the water eh.. So thats why she is the EX GF. :P