PDA

View Full Version : Crossing bars in NSW

hicksy
18-04-2004, 05:06 PM
Just a general warning for those who don't know(like myself) when crossing a bar in NSW you and your passengers must be wearing PFD1 life jackets no matter what the weather conditions are. If you don't you can cop a $200 fine. I did and so did my mate I was fishing with. It makes a very expensive days fishing.
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Gorilla_in_Manila
19-04-2004, 06:32 AM
Page 53 section 3.
http://www.waterways.nsw.gov.au/docs/sbh2003/sbh2003-part3.pdf
Thanks for the heads up Hisksy, sorry to hear you are out of pocket.
Did my boat licence only about 2 years ago. I'm sure it was only a recommendation at that time.
Cheers
Jeff

hicksy
19-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Jeff,
The law has been in since December apparently. I got a brochure on bar crossings produced by waterways and in there it says to use a PFD1 if you are a bad swimmer or there is adverse weather conditions. We got pulled up by the waterways vessel in the middle of the bar. Nothing adverse about that!!!!!!!!
Hicksy

basserman
19-04-2004, 04:09 PM
yes sorry to hear that hicksy it has been in place since the start of feb as a law and it covers all nsw sand bars. what that means is that it covers all small bars but the big bars like port kembla or sydney heads you don't (something to do with comercial boating) Just one question but where did you get done??? and where are you from??? i would hope they would give visttors at least one warning :-/

Heath
20-04-2004, 05:26 AM
Yep, that rule has been in a far while now. And a good rule too I might add.

VMR where giving announcments as the law was introduced to boaties on the water reminding them.

I know they were checking boats entering and exiting Tweed Bar over easter.

hicksy
20-04-2004, 07:30 PM
yes sorry to hear that hicksy it has been in place since the start of feb as a law and it covers all nsw sand bars. what that means is that it covers all small bars but the big bars like port kembla or sydney heads you don't (something to do with comercial boating) Just one question but where did you get done??? and where are you from??? i would hope they would give visttors at least one warning :-/
Basserman,
It happened at the mouth of the clarence river right in the bar, I come from Brisbane and venture out into Moreton Bay a fair bit. They should put signs up at boat ramps. Don't get me wrong I think it is a good initiative and will save lives but I think they should try and promote it a bit better to tourists from interstate. Maybe put it in some brochures and the like.

basserman
21-04-2004, 09:22 AM
yeh can't agree more with you hicksy!
surly they can't expcet all visitors to the state to know all the new regs and rules! hell at the rate they bring them in i would be suprissed if i knew them all ::)