10,000 boaties risk their lives here every year ------
Currumbin Bar
Man I thought it was getting crowded out here
Must be giving the reef a pounding
Steve -----

Hagar
24-04-2004, 07:24 AM
G'day Nictim
Yeah those figures could well be close to reality but they are really seasonal . As you probably know there can be upward of 120 boats use it some days in good weather during mack season . Other times of the year only a handfull will be using it most days . The big numbers are fishing pelagic mackeral so the impact is not as great as it would appear on the reef itself. Still a bloody good excuse for the missus when you come home with no fish for tea though !

Back to the reason for the story . Ten thousand boat registrations , associated fuel excise , bait and tackle and general boat costs amounts to a tidy sum being put into govt, coffers and local economy heh . But what do we get from the pollies ( Jan Stuckey local Lib. member excepted ) . No attempt to help dredge it just a ' well you should be more careful crossing it ' attitude . Now where will our Fishing Party be on the ballot paper next election ..................everyone make sure you find it .

Chris

nictim
24-04-2004, 07:47 AM
Itís not only us fishing persons I also surf the alley and have watched swimmers get swept out to sea

what is going to happen when the VMR , Rescue, and Police big boats cant get out we had a death here

only last week a kite surfer.

Note they didnít hesitate to throw money at the artificial reef to protect that small number of homes

that build to close to the beach.

It makes you wonder

Steve ----

PS the money I spend on my sport ( fishing ) would just about pay for 1 dredging a year

basserman
24-04-2004, 09:04 AM
chris but your got to think how many of those car and boat regos are from out of town and how many of those bloke packed their bait when they packed up for the holiday or like me brought their lures else where

nictim
24-04-2004, 09:17 AM
basserman
barstards!! but what a great place to come to.
they must pass Forster and Port to get here.

Steve ---

basserman
24-04-2004, 09:23 AM
nah we get alot of mexicans (victorians) bring all thire own stuff up with them but i need to say us lure fishos are probly the worst UNLESS we stop in to a shop with a good lure range ;)

nictim
24-04-2004, 09:37 AM
must agree I spend a shit load every time I drive through Coffs I get a pretty good discount so far 4 xTLDs 2 x650 bait runners
and 5 ugly sticks

SCOTTYGC
25-04-2004, 08:55 AM
the gold coast would struggle with out the people coming here
its not just what they spend on fishing
accomidation, food, drink, fuel
they cant bring it all with them

thisbig
25-04-2004, 12:18 PM
at least you can get out even if its a bit rough coffs boat ramp should be a all weather ramp but 2m swell pushes enough sand to close it and be lucky to get a small tini over the sand bank.the council keep saying they will fix it but the b#?*$!eds dont fish so its not getting done in a hurry.

basserman
25-04-2004, 02:10 PM
nah so true this big alot of nsw bars and in dangour of disappering i know a few already have
their is no bar at all at places like hat head and cresent head and now some of the other bars like south west rocks and port macquarie are getting that sanded up (is that a word???) that it is a wonder that some of them big crusiers and trawllers (pro boats) are getting over them when the tide is running out :o

Cloud_9
25-04-2004, 03:28 PM
read artical about the money the state Gov spent on ramps and stuff ten years ago was $2mil
the year just gone $580'000 spent an the same, ( the boat percentage is up 200 %)
where's the money going.

jaybee
25-04-2004, 04:36 PM
here u go guys, i posted this a few nights ago but mucked up the heading

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=General;action=display;num=10827337 75